Hi Fi pet hates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
Dismissive customer service departments which refuse point-blank to acknowledge a fault. Devialet for example... Apparently the power supply on my £18K amp is supposed to hum/buzz and the phono stage should hiss so loud you can hear it from the listening position. *diablo*

How old is it?

8 months.

You buy it from a uk retailer?

Yep.

You paid £18k for an amplifier? Are you mad?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
Dismissive customer service departments which refuse point-blank to acknowledge a fault. Devialet for example... Apparently the power supply on my £18K amp is supposed to hum/buzz and the phono stage should hiss so loud you can hear it from the listening position. *diablo*

How old is it?

8 months.

Yep.

A Devialet is a DAC, Streamer and Amplifier with the lowest measured distortion figures (in real-usage) of any Amplifier.

This means that the sound it produces is the purest, most neutral and therefore as close to the source as it's possible to get.

To some of us, that's important.

Nobody baulks at paying that sort of money for a mundane car. - Millions of people do it.

So why do you apparently have an issue when someone pays that sort of money for a device which is amongst the very best that current technology can deliver?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
So why do you apparently have an issue when someone pays that sort of money for a device which is amongst the very best that current technology can deliver?
Didn't you get the memo?.....All Amps, DACs and Streamers sound the same, provided they are competently built. *diablo*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
Didn't you get the memo?.....All Amps, DACs and Streamers sound the same, provided they are competently built. *diablo*

I've had that memo many times. Thing is, I don't think things are that simple.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Nobody baulks at paying that sort of money for a mundane car. - Millions of people do it.

Don't they? You are wrong there! Most cars in UK are not bought they are leased, so most of those flash cars you see are not bought for £20k or whatever. I would never pay £18k for a car even if I had millions, its a waste of money to me. I would not spend it on an amp either.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Infiniteloop said:

Don't they? You are wrong there! Most cars in UK are not bought they are leased, so most of those flash cars you see are not bought for £20k or whatever. I would never pay £18k for a car even if I had millions, its a waste of money to me. I would not spend it on an amp either.

Um, Okay.

Thankfully there are those of us who are prepared to pay a bit extra for something, otherwise there would be absolutely no incentive for any company to innovate or push boundaries and technology would simply stop moving forward or crawl to a halt. IMO.

I'd rather pay a bit extra occasionally, for the best that current technology can provide than make do with the lowest common denominator, but I guess that's my choice.

Besides, do you know anywhere where you can lease HiFi?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
BigH said:
Infiniteloop said:

Um, Okay.

Thankfully there are those of us who are prepared to pay a bit extra for something, otherwise there would be absolutely no incentive for any company to innovate or push boundaries and technology would simply stop moving forward or crawl to a halt. IMO.

I'd rather pay a bit extra occasionally, for the best that current technology can provide than make do with the lowest common denominator, but I guess that's my choice.

Besides, do you know anywhere where you can lease HiFi?

No you maybe onto something there. You can lease tvs, fridges, washing machines etc.

Rent cameras and lenses, so that maybe a way for hifi dealers to go.

Dom

So, how much were the speaker's? I am almost afraid to ask.

You probably already have one of these, lucky chap.

media

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
So, how much were the speaker's? I am almost afraid to ask.

You probably already have one of these, lucky chap.

My bro had an R8 V10 for a while. Terrifying machine. He now has a Nissan GTR that has been "done" to 990BHP. An even more terrifying machine!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
A Devialet is a DAC, Streamer and Amplifier with the lowest measured distortion figures (in real-usage) of any Amplifier.

This means that the sound it produces is the purest, most neutral and therefore as close to the source as it's possible to get.

Except Gazzip's amp is a long way from having the lowest distortion figures of any amp.

If we're talking about real usage, how much distortion would I get from Devialet's top of the range amp at 30 dbs from from my 103 db efficient speakers?

And with solo piano, would it sound "as close to the source as it's possible to get", or would it sound "all wrong".

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Infiniteloop said:

Except Gazzip's amp is a long way from having the lowest distortion figures of any amp.

If we're talking about real usage, how much distortion would I get from Devialet's top of the range amp at 30 dbs from from my 103 db efficient speakers?

And with solo piano, would it sound "as close to the source as it's possible to get", or would it sound "all wrong".

All of those wonderful facts, figures and measurements mean very little if I can hear the fecking thing buzzing and hissing during quiet passages of music...

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:

How old is it?

8 months.

Yep.

Clearly it is nowhere near the best of anything if it hisses so loudly you can hear it from your listening position. Clearly it isn't worth anything like £18k. On my Sony TA thing with nothing playing I can hear no hiss on a line input even with my ear pressed against the tweeter on full volume. It too has inaudible distortion at normal volume.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

You are right. Price is irrelevant. The Devialet has a design fault, so isn't competently built and as a result sounds worse.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What is it inside the Devialet that Buzzes? Its looks very compact in there??

This must be a resonant freq in your room or something in your rack amplifying it maybe? - have you tried anything to absorb the sound near the unit to see if it helps?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:

This must be a resonant freq in your room or something in your rack amplifying it maybe? - have you tried anything to absorb the sound near the unit to see if it helps?

Yeah, the something in his rack is a technical fault inside his amp, which Devialet have so far failed to acknowledge.

Gazzip should not have to try anything to absorb the sound as he should be able to place it on top of Big Ben (the bell) and it still shouldn't buzz. It's a multi-thousand pound, relatively new amplifier. It's not a bee-hive.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
This must be a resonant freq in your room or something in your rack amplifying it maybe?

Not sure how a resonant frequency in the room would cause an amp to buzz, nor indeed how something in the rack could amplify a resonant frequency. Even if the whole rack rang like a bell, it wouldn't cause this problem.

TrevC

ellisdj said:

Clueless raving. Ignore.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Infiniteloop said:

All of those wonderful facts, figures and measurements mean very little if I can hear the fecking thing buzzing and hissing during quiet passages of music...

The thing is Gazzip, you shouldn't and I can't.

If I had the same issues with my Devialet, I'd be camped outside my dealer until he put it right. With banners and a loudhaler if necessary.

I certainly wouldn't put up with a buzzing and hissing £18k Amp.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

You are right. Price is irrelevant. The Devialet has a design fault, so isn't competently built and as a result sounds worse.

Mine hasn't. So doesn't.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would have to agree £18000 is a lot of money and I would feel sick if my amp started buzzing & humming I would demand to your dealer to get it sorted out or take some kind of legal action against them it's out of order I understand that things do go wrong if your unlucky if it's only 8 months old they should sort it out for you they should be bending over backwards for you .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts