Chord Hugo TT - 1st impressions

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a black demo version on loan from Audio T until Saturday. Removed my M-DAC & connected its output via XLRs to my preamp. My BR player's coax won't fit the TT's BNC so connected my Mac Mini via USB to its Hi Res input then changed the source to the TT. 1st shock - the peaks were badly distorted - my preamp's inputs were being badly overdriven so had drop the TT's output level. You can set the output to "line level" but the volume control still can override this setting.

I shall comment on the interface 1st - IMO it's crap. I'm coming from a DAC whose interface was absolutely brilliantly designed with the ability to customise how much info is displayed & control over its brightness & fade down. The TT's case is substantial but follows Chord's love-it or hate-it quirky ergonomics of trying to show functions by coloured LEDs behind a circular window in the top surface that can't be seen unless standing over the damn thing - it's in a shelf so forget being able to determine the battery status, sample f or input selection though the almost-front-facing green dot matrix display shows truncated text that blanks after a while of the input or whether or not the volume has been increased or not - but not its level. Having said that, I do find the remote to be more usable than some reviews state but if you have particularly large hands - you may disagree. It's brushed aluminium with slightly recessed smallish buttons most of which don't work with the TT.

The TT ships weith a USB stick for the Windows driver, an optical & USB lead - both short. The power comes from a brick with a flying output lead. The DAC circuitry is more or less identical to the standard Hugo but has more inputs plus XLR outouts. Although designed to be run off the mains, the thing runs of internal batteries that include so-called Super capacitors that normally take seconds to minutes to charge so removes PSU modulation products effecting the SQ.

Does it sound substantially better than my M-DAC after a short time to evaluate? Yes it does. I did hear a NAD M51 DAC a couple of years ago that also sounded better but this DAC's SQ is well ahead of a legendary DAC anyway. Initially the detail was a bit like sucking a lemon - not so much sharp in brightness or glare but a little surprising in not being expected. I'm listening to an iTunes playlist at very low volume as I type & the sound is far better resolved than it has any right to be. I shall add to my initial impressions when I can listen at higher volume.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
busb said:
I have a black demo version on loan from Audio T until Saturday. Removed my M-DAC & connected its output via XLRs to my preamp. My BR player's coax won't fit the TT's BNC so connected my Mac Mini via USB to its Hi Res input then changed the source to the TT. 1st shock - the peaks were badly distorted - my preamp's inputs were being badly overdriven so had drop the TT's output level. You can set the output to "line level" but the volume control still can override this setting.

I shall comment on the interface 1st - IMO it's crap. I'm coming from a DAC whose interface was absolutely brilliantly designed with the ability to customise how much info is displayed & control over its brightness & fade down. The TT's case is substantial but follows Chord's love-it or hate-it quirky ergonomics of trying to show functions by coloured LEDs behind a circular window in the top surface that can't be seen unless standing over the damn thing - it's in a shelf so forget being able to determine the battery status, sample f or input selection though the almost-front-facing green dot matrix display shows truncated text that blanks after a while of the input or whether or not the volume has been increased or not - but not its level. Having said that, I do find the remote to be more usable than some reviews state but if you have particularly large hands - you may disagree. It's brushed aluminium with slightly recessed smallish buttons most of which don't work with the TT.

The TT ships weith a USB stick for the Windows driver, an optical & USB lead - both short. The power comes from a brick with a flying output lead. The DAC circuitry is more or less identical to the standard Hugo but has more inputs plus XLR outouts. Although designed to be run off the mains, the thing runs of internal batteries that include so-called Super capacitors that normally take seconds to minutes to charge so removes PSU modulation products effecting the SQ.

Does it sound substantially better than my M-DAC after a short time to evaluate? Yes it does. I did hear a NAD M51 DAC a couple of years ago that also sounded better but this DAC's SQ is well ahead of a legendary DAC anyway. Initially the detail was a bit like sucking a lemon - not so much sharp in brightness or glare but a little surprising in not being expected. I'm listening to an iTunes playlist at very low volume as I type & the sound is far better resolved than it has any right to be. I shall add to my initial impressions when I can listen at higher volume.
whats it like on cds ?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I agree about the interface on Chord products, it`s definately a Marmite situation. I had a Hugo and the SQ was great but found the user experience to be such a pain that I traded it in against my current DAC. If Chord brought out a more user friendly DAC I`d be interested but suppose that goes against their design philosophy.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Before I connect the BRP via optical for some CD listening, I'm continuing with iTunes. It was left on but was off when I got home - same yesterday! The seperate low voltage PSU was rather warm. Pulled the DC power plug then reconnected - one of the internal battery LEDs came on so left for a further 10' to let the batteries charge up so now working again. The M-DAC has an external PSU but wirh flying leads at both ends - I'm no lover of Ext PSUs permenantly powered. Although my M-DAC is set to line level with no volume override you can control some itunes functionality back through the USB connection - I miss that!

As for SQ, I'm struggling a bit. The friend who bought my Totem Arros popped 'round last night & his immediate reaction was no difference. After a while, he thought that there was more detail, an observation I agree with. However, the sound strikes me as being a bit larger than life. The bass is lifted noticeably over the M-DAC but that can be tuned by pulling the speakers forward to reduce it. The rest of the f range seems pretty neutral. The M-DAC was very even-handed regarding what genre of music but the Hugo sounds fine with classical but a liitle "artificial" with electronica. So after making myself a gin & bitter lemon I'll try some CDs. What I will say is I ain't buying one. I'll probably go for the M-DAC+

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
busb said:
Before I connect the BRP via optical for some CD listening, I'm continuing with iTunes. It was left on but was off when I got home - same yesterday! The seperate low voltage PSU was rather warm. Pulled the DC power plug then reconnected - one of the internal battery LEDs came on so left for a further 10' to let the batteries charge up so now working again. The M-DAC has an external PSU but wirh flying leads at both ends - I'm no lover of Ext PSUs permenantly powered. Although my M-DAC is set to line level with no volume override you can control some itunes functionality back through the USB connection - I miss that!

As for SQ, I'm struggling a bit. The friend who bought my Totem Arros popped 'round last night & his immediate reaction was no difference. After a while, he thought that there was more detail, an observation I agree with. However, the sound strikes me as being a bit larger than life. The bass is lifted noticeably over the M-DAC but that can be tuned by pulling the speakers forward to reduce it. The rest of the f range seems pretty neutral. The M-DAC was very even-handed regarding what genre of music but the Hugo sounds fine with classical but a liitle "artificial" with electronica. So after making myself a gin & bitter lemon I'll try some CDs. What I will say is I ain't buying one. I'll probably go for the M-DAC+
I had the M-DAC + for 2 days on demo I felt I could not really hear any difference to be honest and I had it setup on XLRs too it's came across a little louder but I think this was because of me using the XLRs you may find this out too but I only used the M-DAC for cd playback only . Lots of connections and good bulld but not sure it's worth £800 to be honest

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
basshound said:
I agree about the interface on Chord products, it`s definately a Marmite situation. I had a Hugo and the SQ was great but found the user experience to be such a pain that I traded it in against my current DAC. If Chord brought out a more user friendly DAC I`d be interested but suppose that goes against their design philosophy.

The Chord's interface is a joke IMO as is the manual that doesn't tell you which LED does what. The volume control is fine if the DAC is on an open shelf but is just too damn fussy. As for WHF's review findings regarding both the remote & XLR sockets - had no problem with either. I really would not buy one for £1500, let alone £2995!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
busb said:

I had the M-DAC + for 2 days on demo I felt I could not really hear any difference to be honest and I had it setup on XLRs too it's came across a little louder but I think this was because of me using the XLRs you may find this out too but I only used the M-DAC for cd playback only . Lots of connections and good bulld but not sure it's worth £800 to be honest

Well, the SQ is supposed to be better than the orignal but maybe not hugely so. The plus does do DSD playback which is something I want to try out. The plus's display isn't as comprehensive as the original but I'm using it with a preamp so the display functionality isn't so important.

The other thing in either M-DAC's favour is connectivity - I'm using all but coax 2.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
busb said:
basshound said:

The Chord's interface is a joke IMO as is the manual that doesn't tell you which LED does what. The volume control is fine if the DAC is on an open shelf but is just too damn fussy. As for WHF's review findings regarding both the remote & XLR sockets - had no problem with either. I really would not buy one for £1500, let alone £2995!
it's just goes to show sometimes a high price doesn't always make the product any good it's a crazy price for what they are

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm listening to loop Guru's Loopus Interruptus on CD. It sounds very good indeed. Played the iTunes vertsion that I ripped at 256kbs VBR also sounds very good - I cannot distinguish between the 2. Also playing The Orb's Assisin disc 2 - cannot tell the iTunes rip & CD apart. The problem for me is that I've not got much time to evaluate.

I've also got the BRP's DAC's analogue output to compare as well - the music just sounds damn good through all 3 combinations! The analogue output from the BRP is level matched but is very slightly louder by less than a dB & very slightly thinner sounding but not by enough that I could tell if Iose count of the input selection. And there lies the dillema - if I switch between the sources to compare them - I find it difficult to tell the difference. Either my thoughts that any AB(X) testing is pointless or the difference is so minimal that expectation bias empties our wallets unecessarilly. My gut reaction is a few days is not enough.

My conclusion is that the Chord is OK but not worth half the asking price & I just don't like its ergonomics at all.

Have removed the Chord & reconnected the M-DAC. My rather subjective reaction is that it sounds less dynamic but is also only been on for 10 mins. Sorry for the contradictions but that's the best I can come up with. What's important to me is that my system sounds great with either DAC. I'll be returning the Chord.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
busb said:
I'm listening to loop Guru's Loopus Interruptus on CD. It sounds very good indeed. Played the iTunes vertsion that I ripped at 256kbs VBR also sounds very good - I cannot distinguish between the 2. Also playing The Orb's Assisin disc 2 - cannot tell the iTunes rip & CD apart. The problem for me is that I've not got much time to evaluate.

I've also got the BRP's DAC's analogue output to compare as well - the music just sounds damn good through all 3 combinations! The analogue output from the BRP is level matched but is very slightly louder by less than a dB & very slightly thinner sounding but not by enough that I could tell if Iose count of the input selection. And there lies the dillema - if I switch between the sources to compare them - I find it difficult to tell the difference. Either my thoughts that any AB(X) testing is pointless or the difference is so minimal that expectation bias empties our wallets unecessarilly. My gut reaction is a few days is not enough.

My conclusion is that the Chord is OK but not worth half the asking price & I just don't like its ergonomics at all.

EHave removed the Chord & reconnected the M-DAC. My rather subjective reaction is that it sounds less dynamic but is also only been on for 10 mins. Sorry for the contradictions but that's the best I can come up with. What's important to me is that my system sounds great with either DAC. I'll be returning the Chord.
I am not 100% sure but what I found with M-DAC plus when using it on the XLRs it's 3db louder on XLRs then RCAs because I did an A-B switch test between the 2 inputs I turned down the volume on the XLRs on that input by 3db so it match both inputs they both sounded the same to me

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
busb said:
<Snipped>

I am not 100% sure but what I found with M-DAC plus when using it on the XLRs it's 3db louder on XLRs then RCAs because I did an A-B switch test between the 2 inputs I turned down the volume on the XLRs on that input by 3db so it match both inputs they both sounded the same to me

What borrowing the Chord has reinforced is that trying to evaluate something like a DAC is not easy in a short space of time. The point of XLRs is that they are balanced & hopefully the equiopment they are connected to is actually fully balanced as well. They are physically superior, work better over longer distances in that they should cancel out electrical & magnetically induce interference (common mode rejection) plus you don't get that awful buzzing hum when you connect or disconnect them if you forget to turn the volume down. RCAs are an absolutely crap design in that the earth connects/disconnects after the signal. I use XLRs because I can rather than that they will always sound better. Whoever thought up RCA connectors should have had their extremities torched when they were alive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts