Hi-Fi Ideas

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Im starting to get intrested in hifi's and music a bit more and i would like to buy a hifi, one preferably with DAB and a usb input i have a budget of £250 what one would be a good idea, and should i buy extras for it such as cables if so what.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
What do you exactly need?

CD player? DAC? Amp? Speakers ? Everything ?

Have you heard any HIFI that you like?

If you just need an amp for that money look used,

amps from Rotel, Denon, NAD, Marantz, or Cambridge

speakers from Q acoustics or Kef

but what's most important is try to listen before you buy.

A

Anonymous

hi i think everything would be good if it makes the sound better and i have looked at many hifi's and got it down to 3 of them which are

LG CD DAB Micro System

Sony MX750Ni Micro Hi-Fi

YAMAHA CRX550

if they are not very good could you please reccomend another one or several. thank you

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Generally you get better sound from separate (normally bigger) boxes (CD/streamer/tuner + amp) and if you want a good sound for 250 pounds you'd be better with a used amp and speakers. The more sources (CD/streamer/tuner) and/or "features" you have, the more thinly you spread your budget so you end up with inferior sound at the same price point. Depends how you want to store/access music, really.

But...if you prefer the micro "all-in-one" solution, I recommend Onkyo in addition to the (always well-reviewed) Denon mentioned above. They are both nice systems and a step above the racks of minisystems you see in the big retailers (and similar in price, too!). I set up a system like this a couple of years ago for a friend with Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers (still on offer at 100 quid last time I looked). Current Onkyo model would be something like the Onkyo CR545 (new for 200)--I think there's also a newer Onkyo out. Any cheap speaker cable should do the job for this system.

I'd go for separate speakers with either of these 2 options rather than those optionally supplied with the unit. But the best way to decide would be to go have a listen...

A

Anonymous

thank you and i think im going to go for that denon one or sony,yahama just a question is denon a good brand for music and im going to by a all in one micro one to start with then start buying bits to add on or change to make it better

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You have a dealer with years of experience recommending the Denon, he wouldn't do that if it wasn't any good. Also bear in mind that with all in ones it can be difficult to "add on" other bits and impossible to "change" anything, other than the speakers.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
the Denon is great , no doubt, but for £250 a used Rotel amp and Q acoustics or B&W 303 speakers will sound much better and can be upgraded.

A

Anonymous

also i have a lot of MP3 music files on my hardrive and thats why i want my hifi to have usb input to get the music off hardrive to hifi but if its separate is there any way to get mp3 files on amplifier etc .

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Keiran.Wright said:
also i have a lot of MP3 music files on my hardrive and thats why i want my hifi to have usb input to get the music off hardrive to hifi but if its separate is there any way to get mp3 files on amplifier etc .

A DAC (Digital to analogue converter) will do that job. A DAC is like a CD player without the disc spinner. Most DACs accept (Digital) USB input (e.g. from a computer) and Convert it to an Analogue signal to feed to your amplifier.

If you can use a computer as your main source (mp3s, CDs, Spotify/internet radio etc), then you can save some money by not buying a CD player/DAB tuner. Then you only need a (USB) DAC + amp + speakers.

Also, you can combine amp and speakers by getting active speakers (this means that the amp is inside the speakers)--they are often used in both computer speakers and pro audio and are becoming more accepted in mainstream hifi.

With a computer as source, something like this I reckon would be hard to beat for sound quality under 250 quid (Google it):

KingRex UD-01 + Swan D1010 powered speakers: £225

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
...or depending on how good the soundcard in your computer is, just run a lead from the PC soundcard (a soundcard is basically a built-in DAC) straight into your amp (or active speakers). Spend more money on the amp/speakers and upgrade to a standalone DAC later.

...many ways to skin a cat...

Wolverton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paradiziac

I use Samson Studiodock 3i USB active speakers with my laptop. Would a DAC improve sound quality say for Radio 2, Radio Paradise? What would you think about a subwoofer for this system?

Thanks

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an expert and haven't heard your speakers.
The only advice I would offer is that you should roughly divide your budget equally between source/amp/speakers.
If the cheapest standalone DACs are about £150, you might be looking at actives around £250-300 to reap the benefit.
If there's a sub specifically designed for your speakers it's worth considering, if not I wouldn't bother.

A

Anonymous

so what if i got hi-fi seperates

amplifier:- DENON PMA510AE

DAC :-FiiO E7 USB DAC

Tuner :-TEAC TR650DAB

please could you tell me if this is good or not together

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Errr...

The DAC you mentioned has a built-in headphone amplifier, so it's designed for listening with headphones and I believe it doesn't have the right output (Twin RCA/Phono line) for a hifi amp.

Amp: Denon are widely known as one of the leaders in budget mini systems with the DAB 38 (and 37 before it). They don't have the same name for their budget amps like the PMA510AE. Maybe it's OK for the price, I have no idea. I've had a budget Cambridge Audio amp in the past and these are very good--if you go to the shop I think you're probably looking in, you can hear both ;)

Tuner, no idea...sorry. It does seem a lot to spend on a tuner if your overall budget is 250ish. Are you using a computer or iPod/mp3 player as your source? Even if you've got a harddrive full of music, in most cases you still need a way to play the files.

On your budget, I'd be inclined to forget about the DAC (and tuner), plug your computer or iPod straight into the best amp you can afford and get some cheap but good quality used speakers off a well known auction site (or if new, the Wharfedale 9.1 if there are still some stocks left). If you want a new amp, Cambridge Audio Azur 550A would probably take some beating for 200 quid, with 50-100 for the speakers. Cheapo cables all round. If you get the music/hi-fi bug, upgrade your source and speakers later. Then if you really get the bug bad, spend 250 quid on a piece of wire and get a sparky in to fix your mains!

I'm actually listening right now to Spotify on my iPod going straight into a Creek 4330 (bought for 110 quid from a well known auction site) and JPW Sonata speakers (you can pick these up for about 20 pounds). It sounds surprizingly good. Almost as enjoyable as my other system costing 5 or 10 times more (depends if you include the computer/iPod in the budget--since I had those anyway!).

If you've got a normal DAB radio lying around you can always plug that into the amp if there's a line out socket on the back of the back.

If all this seems way too complicated...just get the Denon DAB 38, kick back and enjoy the music!

A

Anonymous

ok thanks that great infomation :) and yh mp3 is source if that makes a difference to your answer

T

the record spot

Kieran, have a look at this amp/receiver from Onkyo (the TX8050) that offers a lot of what you're after but not quite everything.

No DAB, but you can hook up four digital sources to its two optical and coaxial connections, there is an optional DAB module but the great thing about this unit is that it can be hooked up to your network via its ethernet port on the rear and then you've got open doors to internet radio streaming, directly to your system. Of course, with all of those digital inputs, you can play your MP3s to your heart's content. £299 from Richer Sounds currently, here's the details you're after:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/onkyo/tx8050/onky-tx8050-blk

showimage.php

Yes, you've blown your budget as you need speakers, but none of the mini-system options give you the flexibility of this receiver, plus its 100wpc at 8ohm means it'll drive just about anything and you'll land a deal on some good speakers either secondhand, off Ebay, or from the likes of Richer Sounds that'll equal and probably better any of the mini system options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts