Hi it's my first time posting and I need a little help with my little audio setup. I have bought a new pair of wharfdale 9.1 speakers rated at 6ohms and I was wondering if it'd be ok to bi-wire the speakers into my technics su-vz220 amp which is rated at 8ohms to 16ohms for speakers A and B if I was to connect wires to both speaker output terminals. Would it even be worth it?

Any help would be fantastic! Thanks

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
From the information given then technically the speakers are a mismatch with your amplifier, which suggests 8-16 Ohm speakers.

In effect your amplifier will be working outside it's limits driving 6 Ohm speakers but speaker impedence is not precise and your amplifier may be fine driving an impedance slightly lower than optimum.

It could concievably cause problems but if you use your amplifier within it's capabilities and keep volume levels sensible it is unlikely to trouble you.

Bi-wiring will not alter impedance, so that is fine. Whether it makes any difference soundwise is open to conjecture, personally I would not bother, YMMV.

Thanks for the quick reply! The amp is rated for 4-16ohms when just using one set of the terminal outputs on the amp but that drops down to 8ohms to 16 ohms when using all terminals. That's where my confusion comes from. Here's a picture of the output terminals :)

https://img42.com/Cxnhg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Christian Nelson said:
Thanks for the quick reply! The amp is rated for 4-16ohms when just using one set of the terminal outputs on the amp but that drops down to 8ohms to 16 ohms when using all terminals. That's where my confusion comes from. Here's a picture of the output terminals :)

https://img42.com/Cxnhg

The 8 ohm minimum applies when using 2 pairs of speakers, they are connected in parallel which reduces the impedence seen by the amplifier. So one pair of 6 ohm speakers will be fine, however wired up.

Using both sets of terminals to biwire is electrically the same as biwiring to one set of terminals by combining the 2 legs of the biwire cable, the terminals are linked internally via the speaker switch.

If you have the cables, give it a go, see what you think. Unlikely to be worth the cost if you have to buy more wire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts