Hi-Fi amplifier saturation

Selrak

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I just discovered this great forum. And it just so happens that a friend of mine bought a DENON UDRA 77 amplifier and has problems with it.

Yesterday we watched the Coen Brother's "Inside LLewyn Davis" where the character is a folkmusic singer and goes in high pitches with his voice. At these points as well as other loud points (bangs and such), the sound saturated. I tried setting the treble level to a lower position, but it didn't change much. I then noticed that my friend had turned the bass setting all the way down.

When I asked, he said his subwoofer was too strong, delivering too much bass and that he had to do this to prevent the building from crumbling down. To see what he meant, I set it back to neutral, and there was an earthquake. So I asked : "Did you buy the subwoofer separately ?" And he said "No, it all came together. I bought it with e-bay want-ads service.". Still, I took a look : the subwoofer is an Infinity micro-subwoofer (and already pretty big for a 'micro').

Also of note : when watching the film we had the source of the movie set to the maximum and the amplifier set to almost minimum. I think it's better like that because the source can produce sound with little noise, whereas the amplifier amplifies everything - noise included.

So, here we are - good sound overall, and the bass isn't a problem when setting the bass to low - but it clearly sometimes saturates at mid/high frequencies. Any advice, ideas, or experience ? Thanks in advance !

Charles

abacus

Sounds like you are overloading the amplifier input turn down the source volume or if available use the fixed outputs. (Don’t worry about noise)

There are 2 controls on the subwoofer, set the frequency to match the speakers (It should just add the bottom end not over power the main speaker bass) Adjust the volume knob to balance the output with your speakers. (Make sure you set the bass on the amplifier to flat when adjusting the sub-woofer volume and frequency)

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS