Hi-Fi advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Help needed.

I had a friend try and connect his iphone 4 to my hifi amplifier using an mp3 player mini jack to two phono lead.

whilst the amp was still powered and playing music from the cd player.

The mini jack was actually slightly bent which we both failed to notice.

He inserted the mini jack into the iphone 4 and connected the phono to the aux input on the amplifier. When he selected the aux on the amp there was quite a lot of distortion as he fiddled with the mini jack in the iphone. He had to turn the volume lower.

I listened to a few tracks and then I turned my hi fi off and we both went outside.

The next day when I started to listen to my hi fi I noticed it sounded different.

Best I can describe it is that it sounds a lot more sensitive in that I can hear when I select my equalizer on and off where as before I never ever heard a click sound coming through the speakers when I switched it on before.

Also on the cd I am listening to I can hear a bit of a different sound where as it is not sounding as smooth as it were.

Do you think I have caused damage to the amp or the speakers?

The hi fi is in a small rectangle shaped bedroom which has always had quite bad acoustics that is why I use a equalizer because the amplifier does not have any tone controls.

Equipment.

Marantz PM-66SE KI amplifier

Nad C521 BEE cd player

Mission 701 speakers

Kenwood Equalizer.

Lindy 6 Way Mains Conditioner.

Hi, Help needed.

I had a friend try and connect his iphone 4 to my hifi amplifier using an mp3 player mini jack to two phono lead.

whilst the amp was still powered and playing music from the cd player.

The mini jack was actually slightly bent which we both failed to notice.

He inserted the mini jack into the iphone 4 and connected the phono to the aux input on the amplifier. When he selected the aux on the amp there was quite a lot of distortion as he fiddled with the mini jack in the iphone. He had to turn the volume lower.

I listened to a few tracks and then I turned my hi fi off and we both went outside.

The next day when I started to listen to my hi fi I noticed it sounded different.

Best I can describe it is that it sounds a lot more sensitive in that I can hear when I select my equalizer on and off where as before I never ever heard a click sound coming through the speakers when I switched it on before.

Also on the cd I am listening to I can hear a bit of a different sound where as it is not sounding as smooth as it were.

Do you think I have caused damage to the amp or the speakers?

The hi fi is in a slam bedroom which has always had quite bad acoustics that is why I use a equalizer because the amplifier does not have any tone controls.

Equipment.

Marantz PM-66SE KI amplifier

Nad C521 BEE cd player

Mission 701 speakers

Kenwood Equalizer.

Lindy 6 Way Mains Conditioner.
smiley-cry.gif

A

Anonymous

It's possible something in the amp may be damaged, as you're not supposed to put plugs in whilst that input is selected. If you're doing that in future, just put it on a different input and it'll be fine.

How loud was the amp when the feedback/distortion was coming through it?

A

Anonymous

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your help.:)

The volume was turned up to just a bit below the half way mark on the amplifier.

As soon as the distortion came the volume was quickly lowered.:O

The MP3 lead I had that was bent had come from a AE Aego M 2.1 Active Speaker system.

I never used the lead before until this unfortunate incident so did not know the mini jack was not totally straight.:cry:

The distortion was mainly because the mini jack did not fit in properly into my mates iphone 4 add to that the amplifier also being powered and the input selected.

Even with the volume turned low he was fiddling with the mini jack for the sound to properly play through my amplifier.

I know what you mean I usually turn the power off before attempting anything like connecting and disconnecting any phono leads.

But I never connected am mp3 player to a hi-fi before so when my mate was plugging his iphone into my amplifier I thought the way he was connecting it was normal.:wall:

I am going to try a differnt amplifier and see if the problem still persists and report back with my findings.

Apoligies about writing the same question twice in my original post.:oops:

Thanks again for your advice.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you shure not to have changed equalizer-settings ? I cannot imagine the amp being damaged.

Beside this, it is very strange to use an equalizer to compensate for roomacoustics. Try some extra - or less damping, pull the speakers out of the corners a bit more, toe them more in or out etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts