Hi end active floorstanding thoughts £6000 - £8000 GBP per set

Jase.cheshire

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
I am currently going through a choice of high-end active floor-standing speakers for use with music 40% Hi-Res audio and TV 60%, my current choice is the following, i have a set of KEF LSX which i would place at the rear of the room which is 28ft x 14ft with carpeted flooring and large 9 seater sofa.

Dynaudio Focus 50 - £8500
KEF LS60 Wireless - £6000
DALI RUBICON 8 C - £6200

I may consider adding a REL T9x Subwoofer to any of the above. The issue that i have up in Manchester is that these are extremely hard to demo as all are special orders, I do like an open and lively soundstage with good low-end tight lows.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

jjbomber

I may consider adding a REL T9x Subwoofer to any of the above. The issue that i have up in Manchester is that these are extremely hard to demo as all are special orders, I do like an open and lively soundstage with good low-end tight lows.
Audio-t at a guess. They should be able to get them in from other stores if they don't have them in stock.

Which is best for YOU? It's a bit like asking us what's the best haircut. What is best for you may well be different to what is best for me and everyone else on the forum. So we can all tell you what is best for us, but ultimately you have to do what is best for YOU.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
Crumbs, in Manchester you’re in easy reach of several excellent stores, and I’m often looking enviously at adverts around Cheshire and Merseyside. Doug Brady is a renowned dealer for a start, he has ATC. AudioT mentioned above - my localBristol branch got SCM40A for me to hear, dropped off by the ATC rep. Just pick up the phone and ask! They’re in Bridge Street, Manchester. I think they carry Dali too.

Worth hearing the new LS60 too given you like KEFs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
I do like an open and lively soundstage with good low-end tight lows.

Firstly there is a new range of DSP wireless active loudspeakers (standmount and two floor standers) which all being well should be released in the coming months. Something worth bearing in mind :)

Anyway in the meantime if you an like an open and lively soundstage with good low-end tight lows and ultimately value outright performance over convenience then as has already been mentioned ATC's SCM40A's deliver these traits in abundance. SCM40A's retail at £7400/pair and will require an external streamer, pre amp or streamer/pre though. Bluesound's Node 2i will help stay at or around the upper limit of your budget and if budget permits then consider Naim Audio's Uniti Atom Headphone Edition.

Btw, glad you're also considering adding a subwoofer. Fwiw in my experience a subwoofer is the most important component and when effectively aligned, calibrated and dialled in can make the most profound improvement to the overall performance of the system. In this respect and particularly if you're going to go down the route of ATC monitors then based on my experience I would recommend looking at subwoofers from JL Audio. A JL Audio subwoofer such as an E-110 does not stifle the qualities of ATC monitors. Simple.

Last edited:
I only got to hear the LS60s at Cranage with one track, but they did sound amazing. These are going to be a hot product among those who hear them. I didn’t expect them to sound that good. I thought the small UniQ might let things down a little, but it didn’t in any way, shape, for form. Big sound, effortless presentation. I couldn’t pick out a negative on the track I heard.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I am currently going through a choice of high-end active floor-standing speakers for use with music 40% Hi-Res audio and TV 60%, my current choice is the following, i have a set of KEF LSX which i would place at the rear of the room which is 28ft x 14ft with carpeted flooring and large 9 seater sofa.

DALI RUBICON 8 C - £6200

sorry if you have that sort of money I’m sure you can hop a train to London or nearest dealer with stock of what you want. Probably cost 50quid for a day return and could treat your other half to a show and meal if you decide to stay the night.

Last year I went to combos just outside Brighton to test ride a Mason definition road bike ( no you can’t by them at an dealerships). I got stuck in traffic for 3hrs but it’s the best thing I did. I knew the bike I needed. If I’m spending 5k on a bike I’m making sure it fits me and it feels comfortable. 260 mile round trip for me.

I’m turning the big 40 next year and looking to by a turntable no one round here socks the brand I want or remotely has any of the components I have to test with , so I’m going up Scotland from Suffolk for the weekend. 20quid on a plane and 60quid in a premier inn, listen to some records and see a city I’ve never been to and make some memories with the wife and take photos.

Do yourself a favour and just go and listen for the sake of travelling up the road for 2-3hrs

Overheat

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site

DALI RUBICON 8 C - £6200

Gonna be auditioning the 8C vs LS60 at Richer Sounds Manchester next week, they’ve got both models coming for permanent demo. However, there’s a price rise coming from Dali in August, so I’d recommend booking a demo with them soon if you’re interested.

Reactions: AndyCC72

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts