Help with which kit to buy...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to all this and am looking for some help with which kit to buy.

I currently have an LG HD TV, to be upgraded to the Samsung UE40B8000 next week. I also have a Sky HD box with subscription and a PS3 with built in BlueRay player (are the BlueRay players on these any good?).

I am looking for something to link it all together sound wise.

I started off looking at the Jamo A102HCS5 speakers, paired up with a recommended amp? but then a stumbled across the Panasonic SC-BT200 and thought this sounded quite a good value deal.

So basically I'm not sure which way is best to go with the equipment I currently have and would like some advise and recommendations? I do have up to about £1000 to spend, but I obviously don't want to spend more than I need as I'm not a pro user.

The only two conditions I have are 1) I have to be able to use my own speaker cable, as it's already in the walls (it's good quality) and 2) the speakers have to be wall mountable.

Many Thanks,

Alan

A

Anonymous

To answer your queries:

1) The PS3 is a very versatile piece of equipment and it's blu-ray images are fine in isolation, but even a budget dedicated blu-ray player will beat it for picture quality, especially with motion. Expect improved clarity, vividness and edge sharpness.

The new slim version now even has the ability to decode HD codecs onboard, so as an all-in-one machine, you cannot beat it.

2) The JAMO A102 HCS5's are an excellent starting point for someone going down the separates route to a home cinema solution. I had these speakers myself and they are excellent for their price. But do bear in mind that you will also need a separate AV amplifier for the speakers to connect to.

A separates system will provide you with an opportunity to upgrade any component in the future without having to sacrifice the whole system, just like I did. While my TV has remained the same, my blu-ray player, amp and speaker system has been further improved.

3) The Panasonic SC-BT200 is an excellent all-in-one solution to home cinema. This integrated system will encompass the blu-ray player, amp and speakers - all out of the box. It is ideal for those that want an easy solution or maybe lack the space to house separate components. Do bear in mind that the whole system will be need to be sold as a whole, i.e., the way you received it, in the event you want an upgrade. Also, it will never be as good as a separates system - the same will apply to hi-fi too.

Solution:

1. Panasonic SC-BT200 for £400.00 or less if you look

2. Separates system (for under £1k)

Amp - Denon AVR-1910/Sony STR-DH800

Speaker system - Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack

HDMI Cable - Chord /QED/VDH

Speaker stands - Soundstyle

* You could also look out for some really good used bargains around - both my amp and blu-ray player are used items too! *

** Go to http://www.hispek.com/ to get an idea about mix and match systems and pricing **

Note:

I do not work for hispek.com nor have any relationship of any kind with them.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's a nice combination although I would be looking for some KEF 3005SE's instead. They sometimes appear on E-Bay at very good prices.

I love Onkyo amps personally - they are very muscular and powerful sounding, but can sound a tad too much over extended listening periods for some. I think my ears are tuned to this so I'm fine!

Denon and Yamaha are a little too restrained sounding for my taste, but offer a more smoother presentation, but they tend to be very popular choices too.

So, it will depend on how you like your sound. Try to audition as many combinations as you can and make your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts