HELP WITH SPENDING A GRAND ON A NEW SYSTEM !

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Sadly to a recent family loss i now have a grand to spend on new kit . rather then wasteing the money on paying things off lol i want to spend it on something i want and will enjoy and be happy with .

Now i still have my panny 42pz70 and its still a cracking plasma that still wont go wrong or pack up !! still has pana warranty for another year and half and was hoping it would pack up so i could get a newer replacement model but it just keeps on going even with nearly 11000hours of use !! i still have my virgin v+ box and fat ps3 but the ps3 is going in bedroom.

Right , im after a new bluray player , av reciever , 5.1 speaker system and cable all for a grand if possible . im asking for help as in what works well with what etc and other peoples experience as such . im never wanting 3d but i know most new stuff now is 3d capable as standard anyway

My list so far is -
blu ray player = panasonic bdt110 or 310 , love the look of both plus the 310 has twin hdmi .

av reciever = onk 608 , yam 667 , pioneer 920 or denon 1911 ?

speakers = qa 2000 cinema pack , tannoy hts101 , minx 215 or the new just tested canton 125mx.

speaker cable = havent a clue ?

i should get any of the above set up for a grand i hope but what option do you think is best?
mostly watching blurays and listening to music via virgin box channels plus music cds via bluray player .

i was thinking onk 608 , qa 2000 and the pana 110 but im only going via there 5star ratings and for the awards they have won . im wonderingif the older qa pack can be outdone by the other aboves?
opinions please

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
sorry meant yam 767 ! i take it its better then the 667 ? was also just looking at the new onk range and wondered if the 509 was similar spec to the older model 608 (cant afford the 609)

A

Anonymous

if it were my money i'd get a sony s370 which is as good as any other bdp imo, £100.

i'd get a used or ex demo amp from last years range, something from yamaha or onkyo for about £250.

and i'd get the best 5.1 system possible for the other £650 as it's the speakers that will make the most difference imo.

i'd get the cheapest, nastiest, poverty spec cables known to man, spend about £30, they will be as good as £300 cables..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
i'd get the cheapest, nastiest, poverty spec cables known to man, spend about £30, they will be as good as £300 cables..

:bigsmile:

Max....your indefatigable.

It is a quiet night though, so a row might be just the thing. ;)

shreader

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I recomend taking your list to a reconised hifi dealer and listen to all the componants thats the only way i think is how to decide,also read reviews have alook on page 29 whathifi for best buys.

A

Anonymous

If 3D and HDMI v1.4 is something that will NEVER be something you require i would go for something like Denon 2310 Superfi had them in for £400 - Richer sounds might also have some good local deals so check their site out.

Then id match it with Monitor Audio BX2 System, excluding the subwoofer, go for something like SW150 Sub for £150

Speaker cable im sure if you bought from 1 retailer they would bundle this for you, dont spend a fortune though! I got 10m free when i bought my BX fronts QED Silvery Anniversay XT

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
shreader said:
I recomend taking your list to a reconised hifi dealer and listen to all the componants thats the only way i think is how to decide,also read reviews have alook on page 29 whathifi for best buys.

I have read all the reviews and most have 5star rating like i already mentioned . i have been to my local sevenoaks and all the recievers in my list bar one have all gone due to newer models out .
Im hoping for a reciver for around the 300 mark as the above are now and some at 249 , tha pana 110 bdp at 150 and the speakers at around 500 then leaving 50 for cabling etc .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts