help with speakers and amp for hubbys turntable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
drummerman said:
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
another example of someone with nothing intelligent to so posts a meaningless reply. if there were more women involved in hifi maybe we would have more dynamic product's and we would achieve more in the pursuit of our hobby (hifi)

What do you expect my dear? This is a hifi forum.

As to women getting involved, I can see L'oreal, Nivea, Prada etc. putting their names on hifi products ... now here is an idea ... .

You missed out Ann Summers.

No wonder ladies don't/won't come on here. You probably still think they should be locked in a kitchen, doing the washing up and slaving...

You know what they say about men with over-inflated egoes? Large egoes, small...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
another example of someone with nothing intelligent to so posts a meaningless reply. if there were more women involved in hifi maybe we would have more dynamic product's and we would achieve more in the pursuit of our hobby (hifi)

What do you expect my dear? This is a hifi forum.

As to women getting involved, I can see L'oreal, Nivea, Prada etc. putting their names on hifi products ... now here is an idea ... .

You missed out Ann Summers.

No wonder ladies don't/won't come on here. You probably still think they should be locked in a kitchen, doing the washing up and slaving...

You know what they say about men with over-inflated egoes? Large egoes, small...

... hifi's?

Sure. You've probably also heard the one ' ... it's what you do with it'

I use cyrus :)

To be honest, I thought you'd come forward with something a bit more imaginative ... then again ... .

You can of course carry on deluding yourself but the reason ladies don't come 'on here' is simply because the majority are not interested in hifi one bit (in a way that goes for the population as a whole)

regards

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
You can of course carry on deluding yourself but the reason ladies don't come 'on here' is simply because the majority are not interested in hifi one bit (in a way that goes for the population as a whole)

And when one does stick their head above the parapet, look what happens. There's probably a few more reading that will think twice about doing the same.

Silly old me, when I saw the thread heading this morning and 40 posts, I thought that everyone was falling over themselves to offer advice. Opened up the thread and then remembered that this is the internet *dash1*

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
sarah89 said:
wow i certainly didn't think it would open such a can of worms just asking for help, I do find it sad how in this day and age women are still frowned upon for having an interest in 'man' things, we're not in the caveman days anymore women are allowed to have interests in things besides putting a meal on the table at 5pm you know. It's no wonder there aren't many women on this forum or having an interest in topics such as hi-fi's when they get treated by the sexist attitudes of some of your members, luckily they are in the minority these days and men are more like Rob who respect women thank you Rob for standing up for me and any other members too. Drummerman believe it or not i am a real woman crazy i know you probably don't get to see one of our kind very often but we do exist.

No i might not be the most experienced in hi-fi equipment but i hope i'm a caring wife who wants the best for my hubby so i wouldn't just go out buy a c**p set up as it's 'pink' and think s*d you i love listening to our lp's just as much as he does it's a shared hobby of ours so i want to make sure we can get the most enjoyment as possible and i don't think his hi-fi at the moment is providing that. My budget is small as we're a young couple and we put most of our money back into our record shop being a success but i think anything would be an upgrade to his current situation.

I informed my hubby i had posted on here to get advice as he had guessed i was planning to get him a system anyway and he was fuming at how i was being treated asking for help, i said to him the different choices you had recommended and to make sure it was something he liked the look of and sound of we will go into richer sounds together to look at the options in my budget and i'll let him audition a few different set ups with some of his lps to see what suits him.

Okay, back on topic. Some of the advice is good re Marantz and others with Wharfedale speakers. However, I'll throw a curveball: While you're at Richer Sounds listen to Pioneer A20 or A30 amps. Although not heard the latest incarnation, I've owned older Pioneers with Wharfedales. If the new models are similar to their elder siblings tonally, they should be a dream match. In addition, the Pioneer amps, like Marantz, come with a very good in-built phono stage for the old black stuff.

If you could stretch your budget have a listen to Arcam A19, which Richer also sells.

I mentioned the Pioneer models earlier in the thread, but amongst all of the tripe flying about this thread my post has probably been over looked.

Going back off topic again with regards to all of the tripe, I do agree that women generally seem to have zero interest in quality music reproduction. In saying that most men have zero interest too! I can count on one hand how many men I've known who cared to some extent about Hi-Fi. There is only one person I could consider to be as interested as me or perhaps labeled as an 'audiophile'. Not one female I've ever known gives a damn.

I'd still give women the benefit of the doubt, if they seem genuinely interested and somewhat knowledgable as the OP Sarah does. Like I said in my initial post, where can I find a one like you? I have never known a woman show an interest and it's refreshing to know that some obviously do and it should be welcomed not wrongly judged.

MeanandGreen said:
plastic penguin said:
sarah89 said:
wow i certainly didn't think it would open such a can of worms just asking for help, I do find it sad how in this day and age women are still frowned upon for having an interest in 'man' things, we're not in the caveman days anymore women are allowed to have interests in things besides putting a meal on the table at 5pm you know. It's no wonder there aren't many women on this forum or having an interest in topics such as hi-fi's when they get treated by the sexist attitudes of some of your members, luckily they are in the minority these days and men are more like Rob who respect women thank you Rob for standing up for me and any other members too. Drummerman believe it or not i am a real woman crazy i know you probably don't get to see one of our kind very often but we do exist.

No i might not be the most experienced in hi-fi equipment but i hope i'm a caring wife who wants the best for my hubby so i wouldn't just go out buy a c**p set up as it's 'pink' and think s*d you i love listening to our lp's just as much as he does it's a shared hobby of ours so i want to make sure we can get the most enjoyment as possible and i don't think his hi-fi at the moment is providing that. My budget is small as we're a young couple and we put most of our money back into our record shop being a success but i think anything would be an upgrade to his current situation.

I informed my hubby i had posted on here to get advice as he had guessed i was planning to get him a system anyway and he was fuming at how i was being treated asking for help, i said to him the different choices you had recommended and to make sure it was something he liked the look of and sound of we will go into richer sounds together to look at the options in my budget and i'll let him audition a few different set ups with some of his lps to see what suits him.

Okay, back on topic. Some of the advice is good re Marantz and others with Wharfedale speakers. However, I'll throw a curveball: While you're at Richer Sounds listen to Pioneer A20 or A30 amps. Although not heard the latest incarnation, I've owned older Pioneers with Wharfedales. If the new models are similar to their elder siblings tonally, they should be a dream match. In addition, the Pioneer amps, like Marantz, come with a very good in-built phono stage for the old black stuff.

If you could stretch your budget have a listen to Arcam A19, which Richer also sells.

I mentioned the Pioneer models earlier in the thread, but amongst all of the tripe flying about this thread my post has probably been over looked.

Going back off topic again with regards to all of the tripe, I do agree that women generally seem to have zero interest in quality music reproduction. In saying that most men have zero interest too! I can count on one hand how many men I've known who cared to some extent about Hi-Fi. There is only one person I could consider to be as interested as me or perhaps labeled as an 'audiophile'. Not one female I've ever known gives a damn.

I'd still give women the benefit of the doubt, if they seem genuinely interested and somewhat knowledgable as the OP Sarah does. Like I said in my initial post, where can I find a one like you? I have never known a woman show an interest and it's refreshing to know that some obviously do and it should be welcomed not wrongly judged.
Yeah - I read the first couple of the rubbish posts and ignored the rest. Nothing personal M&G.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MeanandGreen said:
plastic penguin said:
sarah89 said:

Yeah - I read the first couple of the rubbish posts and ignored the rest. Nothing personal M&G.

Oh, no-no, not at all. I wasn't having a go PP. Just making an observation about the rubbish getting in the way of genuine posts. :)

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
thanks everyone for your advice and i'm sorry this post has got so out of hand all i ever wanted was advice for getting the right set up for hubby as i admit i haven't got much of an idea regarding amps etc but i want to learn so i can pick something hubby will be pleased with. It's a shame that it turned into a mudslinging thread about women but i won't be put off posting here.

I will give the pioneers a look thank you, we popped into Richer Sounds earlier for a quick look and my hubby likes the look of the MA bronze bx2's in walnut, we asked them about amps and they recommended Cambridge Audio topaz SR10? do any of you guys have any experience with this amp as we are having a demo of it tomorrow with the turntable hubby has currently, they said the marantz amps are better for jazz/classical as it has a soft sound and wouldn't be good for hubby's pink floyd, iron maiden etc. Is this true as i was looking at a bundle deal on richer sounds website which has the bx2's and a marantz 6005?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
sarah89 said:
thanks everyone for your advice and i'm sorry this post has got so out of hand all i ever wanted was advice for getting the right set up for hubby as i admit i haven't got much of an idea regarding amps etc but i want to learn so i can pick something hubby will be pleased with. It's a shame that it turned into a mudslinging thread about women but i won't be put off posting here.

I will give the pioneers a look thank you, we popped into Richer Sounds earlier for a quick look and my hubby likes the look of the MA bronze bx2's in walnut, we asked them about amps and they recommended Cambridge Audio topaz SR10? do any of you guys have any experience with this amp as we are having a demo of it tomorrow with the turntable hubby has currently, they said the marantz amps are better for jazz/classical as it has a soft sound and wouldn't be good for hubby's pink floyd, iron maiden etc. Is this true as i was looking at a bundle deal on richer sounds website which has the bx2's and a marantz 6005?

I'm not familiar with that Cambridge amp, but I've had experience with a Cambridge Audio A1 many years ago and it was a fantastic little amp and that was the most modest amp they ever made. So on that basis I'd say Cambridge Audio should be worth checking out.

I've heard a Marantz PM 6004 with a Project turntable recently and I'd agree the sound form the phono stage is quite dull in my opinion however the condition of the vinyl I heard was questionable. I'd say it's worth hearing a Marantz for yourself.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sarah89 said:

Cambridge have quite a good reputation but note Richer Sounds is sole distributor for Cambridge Audio, so maybe some reason why Richers recommend them? Generally I would say Marantz are a bit warmer sounding than CA but really its upto you to hear and see what you think. I never take much notice of what dealers say, some talk a load of rubbish IMO. I would try some other speakers as well, do they have Dali Zensor 3s?

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
have just been lookng at a deal someone posted above of the marantz 6005 and zensor 3's and am tempted to go for that after reading all the good advice. Would you recommend the zensor's over the bx2's?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sarah89 said:
have just been lookng at a deal someone posted above of the marantz 6005 and zensor 3's and am tempted to go for that after reading all the good advice. Would you recommend the zensor's over the bx2's?

With speakers I would always urge you to hear them, a lot is down to personal taste and music and of course how they work with amp. I would not pre-judge, just go and listen. Also I recommend not rushing into buying, maybe have 2 or 3 demos. Best deals tend to be after Christmas. Take a wide range of music.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
sarah89 said:

With speakers I would always urge you to hear them, a lot is down to personal taste and music and of course how they work with amp. I would not pre-judge, just go and listen. Also I recommend not rushing into buying, maybe have 2 or 3 demos. Best deals tend to be after Christmas. Take a wide range of music.

I agree with this, speakers generally have the biggest impact on the sound. Try as many as you can and take your time.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Also I would say although the CA maybe brighter, with some speakers it maybe too bright. Also listen for some time, some systems sound good initially but canbe tiring after a while, so beware of the system with big impact. Think can I live with this.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
sarah89 said:

My preference is the Zensor's, but I think that comparing these two a lot comes down to personal preference and how you like how each speaker presents the sound. I think the BX2 look better, if that influences your choice at all (it has a bit of a bearing on my selection of kit) Then again, I think I'd go for the BX5 over both of them :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with ID.

If you will require stands for the Dali's/BX2 go with the BX5'sand have a listen to the Dali 5's too.

They'll take up the same amount of floor space & look better too.

Also consider having a listen to the Yamaha as500 an amp thats got my notice currently going for a good price att.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:
Who on the regular review team at WH is female other than CN (is she still there)? - I know you have some eye kandy at shows but they are hardly technical and probably not even editorial staff.

Clare hasn't been with WHF for some time now, good of you to notice. Other than that off the top of my head, there's Becky Roberts, staff writer, Verity Burns, Multimedia Editor and Kashfia Kabir (writes the Week in HD blog, amongst other things) but I guess you think they're only there to look good.

No, I know girls like their phones/tablet etc so that is probably heaven for them and I can understand their involvement. I was thinking more about the hifi side ...

regards

Well you'd best not look at this thread then, one of the lovely dears is attempting to offer speaker advice!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:
Who on the regular review team at WH is female other than CN (is she still there)? - I know you have some eye kandy at shows but they are hardly technical and probably not even editorial staff.

Clare hasn't been with WHF for some time now, good of you to notice. Other than that off the top of my head, there's Becky Roberts, staff writer, Verity Burns, Multimedia Editor and Kashfia Kabir (writes the Week in HD blog, amongst other things) but I guess you think they're only there to look good.

No, I know girls like their phones/tablet etc so that is probably heaven for them and I can understand their involvement. I was thinking more about the hifi side ...

regards

Well you'd best not look at this thread then, one of the lovely dears is attempting to offer speaker advice!

You're still at it The_Lhc ...

Well, I guess one of the boys was absent due to illness but at least she knows what a speaker is :)

regards

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Considering most audiophiles are hi-fi astrologers and shopaholics, I think women have no real intellectual barrier these days. You don't need an EE degree to practice this hobby, not even a modicum of interest in engineering. Just think of electrical appliances as wine or shoes or bags and you will fit right in. Go through 6 amps, 3 CDPs, 4 pairs of speakers and at least 2 pairs of cables and you are an expert on the matter. Manufacturers and dealers would have you no other way. *wink* God forbid knowing the pros and cons of full-wave rectifier bridge vs single diodes. Like reading the content label on good wine instead of sniffing the cork!

As an audiophile you roleplay. You get to be either a pretend reviewer, a pretend dealer or a pretend engineer. Reviewers manically go through gear and write about it (some becoming professional reviewers). Pretend dealers shill their favorite brands (practically anything they owned) giving everyone their opinion what should they buy (sometimes these are real forum shills). And pretend engineers simply pi$$ everyone off.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

sarah89 said:
It was me that posted that deal. I know all the advice you are receiving is well meant and good advice, but if you listen to it all you'll be waiting until January for the deals with a list the length of a toilet roll to audition.
I maintain that you're husband will be a very happy man if he receives the Marantz and Dali combination.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
sarah89 said:
It was me that posted that deal. I know all the advice you are receiving is well meant and good advice, but if you listen to it all you'll be waiting until January for the deals with a list the length of a toilet roll to audition. I maintain that you're husband will be a very happy man if he receives the Marantz and Dali combination.

To a certain amount I agree but I would hear 2 speakers and 2 amps in all their 4 combinations, then you have something to measure them by. So say Marantz 6005 and CA amp with Dali Zensor 3s and MA speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts