help with speakers and amp for hubbys turntable

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
Women and Hifi just don't go together ... :)

To the OP ... set the budget, let him decide ... and prepare for him to over spend. Thats the way it works best and you'll be able to call in favors for some time to come.

regards

Drummerman I took your comment about women and hi-fi not going together as a tongue in cheek comment not to be taken seriously.

Would you agree with me that people are people and in our wonderful human race we have all sorts of people, many of which can't be pigeon-holed? And that includes women who are interested in getting the best sound out of their records and CD's as they can?

As per the Life of Brian sketch: we are all individuals.

Not really :)

I just don't know any that are. Never see any at shows, in shops etc etc.

Maybe FrankHarvey and other trade representatives can shed more light on this than I can (perhaps give a percentage on how many of their customers are females actually buying rather than accompanying)

Hey, lets leave it that way. Certain things are just not meant to be but good luck to the very few girls that are interested. Perhaps women are just more sensible and can not be bothered to swap what mostly are ungainly dust collecting boxes and/or ***** about the minuteae of a few hertz more of treble or bass etc. . Perhaps a new kitchen or food on the table is really more important than hifi (I strongly disagree of course) :)

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
another example of someone with nothing intelligent to so posts a meaningless reply. if there were more women involved in hifi maybe we would have more dynamic product's and we would achieve more in the pursuit of our hobby (hifi)

What do you expect my dear? This is a hifi forum.

As to women getting involved, I can see L'oreal, Nivea, Prada etc. putting their names on hifi products ... now here is an idea ... .

On a more serious note, there is nothing 'dynamic' about hifi. Its a luxury media way down on anybody's priority list. Some would argue it is on a constant downward slope in terms of sale. In this day of iphones (or others) which give very good sound with a pair of headphones it is for many very difficult to fathom how anyone could spend even a grand on hifi. Most folks are quite happy with sound from a cheap radio or tv.

Talking 'dynamic' a little more ... when someone like Naim comes up with the Mu-so (did I spell that correctly?) ... it is slandered by some conventional audiophiles as not being hifi, a money spinner, betraying its roots etc ... take your pick.

Integrated products, better looking, easier to clean (perhaps with a small trade-off in sound quality) are what the majority of people probably would want ... and cheaper. 900 quid is still an awful lot for most people, men and women, to spend on hifi.

So, you see, in a way you are perhaps right and women are quite involved in hifi, just not as directly as you and Clare Newsome (and perhaps Sarah) ... well, I guess that officially makes you a group now :). You have put pressure on the industry to make more domestically acceptable products. Well done.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... and finally to Sarah, the poor girl (well, I hope it really is one rather than the bored, fat, bearded bloke I assume it may be, sexist me ... :) ... which has been ousted somewhat;

As good and reliable as cheaper Denon products are (I had several including the 1510AE) they are not ideal for 'rockers'. Where they excel are sound stage and an even, almost laid back sound.

For (perceived) power and good sound I probably would get a NAD amplifier. I once heard a brilliant little system comprising their entry level amp which was the the 315BEE (now updated to 316), the matching cd player and a pair of NAD speakers, the model which escapes me now. It was playing next to a multi thousand pound Musical Fidelity system and sound every inch as involving at a fraction of its price (and within its performance envelope).

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
For (perceived) power and good sound I probably would get a NAD amplifier. I once heard a brilliant little system comprising their entry level amp which was the the 315BEE (now updated to 316), the matching cd player and a pair of NAD speakers ...

The 315BEE and 316BEE models incorporate halogen light bulbs in their design ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO58rNwo1g8

... these are shrouded in metal capsules (and the side of the casing) so it might not be obvious when they eventually blow. I have read a few accounts from people who wondered why their 315/316BEEs suddenly sound 'dull' or 'flat' at higher volumes for some mysterious reason.

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
wow i certainly didn't think it would open such a can of worms just asking for help, I do find it sad how in this day and age women are still frowned upon for having an interest in 'man' things, we're not in the caveman days anymore women are allowed to have interests in things besides putting a meal on the table at 5pm you know. It's no wonder there aren't many women on this forum or having an interest in topics such as hi-fi's when they get treated by the sexist attitudes of some of your members, luckily they are in the minority these days and men are more like Rob who respect women thank you Rob for standing up for me and any other members too. Drummerman believe it or not i am a real woman crazy i know you probably don't get to see one of our kind very often but we do exist.

No i might not be the most experienced in hi-fi equipment but i hope i'm a caring wife who wants the best for my hubby so i wouldn't just go out buy a c**p set up as it's 'pink' and think s*d you i love listening to our lp's just as much as he does it's a shared hobby of ours so i want to make sure we can get the most enjoyment as possible and i don't think his hi-fi at the moment is providing that. My budget is small as we're a young couple and we put most of our money back into our record shop being a success but i think anything would be an upgrade to his current situation.

I informed my hubby i had posted on here to get advice as he had guessed i was planning to get him a system anyway and he was fuming at how i was being treated asking for help, i said to him the different choices you had recommended and to make sure it was something he liked the look of and sound of we will go into richer sounds together to look at the options in my budget and i'll let him audition a few different set ups with some of his lps to see what suits him.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol.....

Sorry for laughing but, one has to laugh. Worse thing a person can do is sign up to a male dominated forum using a female name then ask for advise.

My suggestion would be is change your profile name - use your surname or something unrelated to gender.

This will ensure you get a straight response without this type of nonsense.

Pictures are a no no too. If you feel strongly about your identity though be prepared for this type of fallout.

Anyway - Richers is a good start, happy hunting and enjoy.

Let us know how you get on.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
My suggestion would be is change your profile name - use your surname or something unrelated to gender.

This will also ensure women get less positive affirmation on the forum. Instead of guys piling in to help as if it's a kissing booth, the typical 2-3 regulars will give few dry responses and sometimes even no feedback at all because everyone is unhappy with the new website.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.....

Sorry for laughing but, one has to laugh. Worse thing a person can do is sign up to a male dominated forum using a female name then ask for advise.

Pictures are a no no too. If you feel strongly about your identity though be prepared for this type of fallout.

Anyway - Richers is a good start, happy hunting and enjoy.

Let us know how you get on.

Ahh, yes. The old, she was asking for it excuse. Not the responsibility of the people who shat all over the thread. They couldn't help themselves?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.....

This really isn't necessary. There are plenty of women in the industry, and indeed on What Hi-Fi?, so let's try to avoid unnecessary, out-dated stereotypes.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sarah89 said:
we're not in the caveman days anymore

Really? If this thread has taught us nothing else (and I'm pretty sure it hasn't, although I've skipped the last 50 responses), it's taught us we very much ARE still in the caveman days, sadly...

(I'm not even going to mention Gamergate either).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Man caves are where hifi's belong :)

Who on the regular review team at WH is female other than CN (is she still there)? - I know you have some eye kandy at shows but they are hardly technical and probably not even editorial staff.

Anyways, of course I have nothing against girls getting involved in the fun but there are prescious few ... and that is not going to change anytime soon ... even without my 'contributions' :)

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
@ chebby

I wasn't aware of problems with burned out parts on the baby NAD's but it is certainly something to be aware of I guess. Perhaps taking out one of R/'s extended warranties would be a good idea?

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
@ chebby

I wasn't aware of problems with burned out parts on the baby NAD's but it is certainly something to be aware of I guess. Perhaps taking out one of R/'s extended warranties would be a good idea?

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
sarah89 said:

Really? If this thread has taught us nothing else (and I'm pretty sure it hasn't, although I've skipped the last 50 responses), it's taught us we very much ARE still in the caveman days, sadly...

You don't know what you've missed.

I can't remember the last time I've been that excited about a thread :)

regards

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think there should be a WHF women appreciation day where all guys employed at WHF wear a wig and Ferrari red lipstick.

Lead us by example!

sarah89 said:
wow i certainly didn't think it would open such a can of worms just asking for help, I do find it sad how in this day and age women are still frowned upon for having an interest in 'man' things, we're not in the caveman days anymore women are allowed to have interests in things besides putting a meal on the table at 5pm you know. It's no wonder there aren't many women on this forum or having an interest in topics such as hi-fi's when they get treated by the sexist attitudes of some of your members, luckily they are in the minority these days and men are more like Rob who respect women thank you Rob for standing up for me and any other members too. Drummerman believe it or not i am a real woman crazy i know you probably don't get to see one of our kind very often but we do exist.

No i might not be the most experienced in hi-fi equipment but i hope i'm a caring wife who wants the best for my hubby so i wouldn't just go out buy a c**p set up as it's 'pink' and think s*d you i love listening to our lp's just as much as he does it's a shared hobby of ours so i want to make sure we can get the most enjoyment as possible and i don't think his hi-fi at the moment is providing that. My budget is small as we're a young couple and we put most of our money back into our record shop being a success but i think anything would be an upgrade to his current situation.

I informed my hubby i had posted on here to get advice as he had guessed i was planning to get him a system anyway and he was fuming at how i was being treated asking for help, i said to him the different choices you had recommended and to make sure it was something he liked the look of and sound of we will go into richer sounds together to look at the options in my budget and i'll let him audition a few different set ups with some of his lps to see what suits him.

Okay, back on topic. Some of the advice is good re Marantz and others with Wharfedale speakers. However, I'll throw a curveball: While you're at Richer Sounds listen to Pioneer A20 or A30 amps. Although not heard the latest incarnation, I've owned older Pioneers with Wharfedales. If the new models are similar to their elder siblings tonally, they should be a dream match. In addition, the Pioneer amps, like Marantz, come with a very good in-built phono stage for the old black stuff.

If you could stretch your budget have a listen to Arcam A19, which Richer also sells.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
sarah89 said:

Okay, back on topic ...

Do we have to? :)

Ok then but before we do I just remembered a similar, somewhat 'related' dilemma. One of my hobbies is road cycling/racing (well, more sportives than out and out racing). A little while ago we were looking for a female specific road bike for one of my friends other halfs. She is very short with small hands so a normal small (male) frame was out of question. Guess what ... most of the female specific bikes have little flashes of pink or baby blue in it whilst many normal sized frames are mean black, stealth black, shiney black ... any colour as long as it is black (you see what I did there ... slightly overexagerated as I do ... there are other colours but you get the jist)

Perhaps this is where hifi has gone wrong? A few pink knobs here and there, more pink speaker cable/interconnects/speaker covers ...

Now back to the OP, one of a very select few and I hope hubby will appreciate your xmas present ... you notice I did it again, bad me :)

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Who on the regular review team at WH is female other than CN (is she still there)? - I know you have some eye kandy at shows but they are hardly technical and probably not even editorial staff.

Clare hasn't been with WHF for some time now, good of you to notice. Other than that off the top of my head, there's Becky Roberts, staff writer, Verity Burns, Multimedia Editor and Kashfia Kabir (writes the Week in HD blog, amongst other things) but I guess you think they're only there to look good.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:
sarah89 said:

You don't know what you've missed.

Of course I do, why do you think I skipped it? This is hardly the first thread of it's type and I've been here long enough to know exactly what kind of neanderthal moron hangs out here.

Must admit I didn't have you down as one of them though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:

Clare hasn't been with WHF for some time now, good of you to notice. Other than that off the top of my head, there's Becky Roberts, staff writer, Verity Burns, Multimedia Editor and Kashfia Kabir (writes the Week in HD blog, amongst other things) but I guess you think they're only there to look good.

No, I know girls like their phones/tablet etc so that is probably heaven for them and I can understand their involvement. I was thinking more about the hifi side ...

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Of course I do, why do you think I skipped it? This is hardly the first thread of it's type and I've been here long enough to know exactly what kind of neanderthal moron hangs out here.

:)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

Oh come on. Seriosly?!

stop-sign.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ahh that's ok. I've invited (and expected) it in a way.

However, there are reasons why (most) women are just not interested in hifi, that was my point in a kinda confrontational way. We are just differently wired.

Anyways, enough of all that and until next time :)

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts