help with speakers and amp for hubbys turntable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Drummer man

how dare you treat women this way..

the lady asked for advise, i for one encourage women in to our hobby, she has clearly looked at this matter with an audiophile opinion, she wanted advise to dismiss her as a woman with no clue, OMG

Sarah i hope you can ignor the narrow minded comments and take the advise i and some other have offered and hope all goes well

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Firstly you sound like a great wife! Do tell me where to find a one like you :D

Secondly I agree with robg1976, NAD and Marantz would be my first choices for an entry level amplifer. I am probably biased towards NAD as I love their kit. I've had 2 NAD amps and a NAD tuner love the sound and spec of NADs designs. The only problem with choosing the C316BEE would be it's lack of a bulit in phono stage for a turntable. These are offered as a seperate item and this would push the cost up quite a bit. Otherwise I wouldn't hessitate to recommend it.

You could possibly consider the Pioneer A-10 or A-30 amplifiers too.

With regards to speakers, make sure the speakers you choose are impedance matched with the amp you choose. For example 8 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm amp. Also make sure the speakers are going to be the right physical size for the listening environment. Large floorstanders in a small room would be a disaster (too much bass), as would small stand mounters in a large room (too little bass).

I'm not up to date with current speaker models, but I've always found the Tannoy Mercury range and Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) DM range to be very good from personal experience over the last 17 years or so.

robg1976 said:
Hi Sarah.

Can i start buy saying well done you for taking an interest and doing your research. As mentioned is a personal choice, but dont be put off by comments from others. You dont mention the old amp ans speakers. As for your speaker choice you have picked 2 good sets of speakers the Monotor audio and wharfedeles are great at the price and will be sure to please. Im a past wharfedale owner and now a monitor audio owner (silver s 1)

To answer your question your speaker choice will depend on your amp choice. (please avoid the Denon amp) Please choose one of any budget amps from NAD or marantz. for many years the budget amp they produce around £200- 250 are always for the money class leading. no one will argue against that. The NAD is very fond of bass and power the marantz more layed back.

In conclusion the Nad often sounds better with the more honest Monitor audio speakers as they tend to iron out the bass heavy NAD if you go for the Marantz choose the more lively wharfdale to compliment the amp and add a bit of punch.

so look for the Marantz PM6005 (£299) richer sounds

NAD C316BEE (£249)

and match with the speakers of your choice.

Hope this helps

Rob

I agree NAD and Marantz are well regarded at this level, but I would also consider Denon and Pioneer as good alternatives too.

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
sarah I think that's a loverly thing to do for him and ignore the ignorance of some replies maybe go and audition the products you are interseted in and make your own mind up with the facts to share a hobby with your hubby is a nice thing to do he will appreciate it x

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
sarah I think that's a loverly thing to do for him and ignore the ignorance of some replies maybe go and audition the products you are interseted in and make your own mind up with the facts to share a hobby with your hubby is a nice thing to do he will appreciate it x

Indeed! It's great to see women taking an interest and being pretty clued up by knowing what to look for.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
robg1976 said:
Drummer man

how dare you treat women this way..

the lady asked for advise, i for one encourage women in to our hobby, she has clearly looked at this matter with an audiophile opinion, she wanted advise to dismiss her as a woman with no clue, OMG

Sarah i hope you can ignor the narrow minded comments and take the advise i and some other have offered and hope all goes well

Lighten up fella.

I don't think I've ever known a woman interested in hifi nor have I seen one in a trade show or hifi shop other than being dragged along or keeping an eye on spending.

Some hobbies are for the boys only, this is one of them.

Even when I visited WHS&V (Haymarket), other than the receptionist ... blokes. There is of course Claire Newsome which is either the exception or has been involved by the nature of her appointment. Maybe she can tell us her story.

C'est la vie.

As to 'Sarah' ... well, she might be real but I'd suspect it is more likely she is a bearded bloke with glasses somewhere in a den ... bored, based on my experience of women interested in this hobby :)

Lets give her the benefit of the doubt and even so, she seems to know quite well what she wants.

regards

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
OMG lighten up really, read your posts mate.

Just because u have never know a woman interested does not make u an expert, my wife has a passion for hi-fi. Sarah the O/p clearly does so why would you make such a comment.

people like you are the reason women do not join the hi-fi band wagon narrow minded idiot

if you was a true audiophile why not embrave all to our hobby.

you are entitled to an opinion sure, but please do not judge the world by your standards, why would you alienate women from hi-fi,

i hope for her sake you are not married.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
my wife is Rhian she has posted a reply.

as for enjoy this you clearly love to provoke trouble yet have little knowledge of hi-fi and respect for women.

it is sad really

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
she did mate lol

she also builds custom build gaming p/c's with me,

Vlaldimier do you agree with drummer man???????????

do you encourage women to hi-fi at any level ???????????

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not really but I usually recognise B/s when I read it.

Having said that, no-one is without fail and perhaps I got it wrong ... then again ... :)

regards

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Drummer man i have had lots or respect for you in the past you have been a long time member of the forum. and from what i remember you know hi-fi and have had some valid advise.

I fail to see the benefit of posting what you have and to dis respect women this way. Sure this is primarely a man hobby, but dont you want to encourage women in to hi-fi????????????????

if i for one read a post and totally disagree i just dont reply. better say nothing than to abuse people right. it seems you want to provoke an argument rather than contribute a valid opinion

we can all have fun and banter right, but why abuse women, Sarah asked for an opinion, i bet she never posts again due to some of your comments, is that what you want ????????????

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
must be hard up there on that high righteous horse what a sexist pig seriously very funny actually thought this type of behaviour went out with the arc you clearly have an issue with women but dress as 1 something you need to tell us maybe ??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
must be hard up there on that high righteous horse what a sexist pig seriously very funny actually thought this type of behaviour went out with the arc you clearly have an issue with women but dress as 1 something you need to tell us maybe ??

Don't start me on horses. Ever since I was bitten by a donkey ...

Understand you want to do your bit for emancipation and girl power but lets face it, there are hardly any women involved in the creative side of the industry, as for interested in the hobby ... well ...

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Would love to carry on with what has turned into a rather interesting subject after a questionable start but I too have to get some beauty sleep.

So you see, we do share certain things after all :)

regards

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
you are wrong but thats not the point dont you want to encourage women to hi-fi

a passion for music and hi-fi has nothing to do with the industry, im sure you would not have a clue to build hi-fi circuits (i do by the way so does rhian) enjoying a movie does not rely on being able to make a movie, so get a life please dont stand in the way of women enjoying hi-fi if you got no valid comments just go away ok

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
that is not the point as there maybe less women involved in hifi is it any wonder with sexist donkeys like u involved ?? its a shame u cannot and will not involve women in apperently your passion or is it an ego thing for you ?? im just glad not all men think like you the world would be such a lesser place

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
img32.gif

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
another example of someone with nothing intelligent to so posts a meaningless reply. if there were more women involved in hifi maybe we would have more dynamic product's and we would achieve more in the pursuit of our hobby (hifi)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Women and Hifi just don't go together ... :)

To the OP ... set the budget, let him decide ... and prepare for him to over spend. Thats the way it works best and you'll be able to call in favors for some time to come.

regards

Drummerman I took your comment about women and hi-fi not going together as a tongue in cheek comment not to be taken seriously.

Would you agree with me that people are people and in our wonderful human race we have all sorts of people, many of which can't be pigeon-holed? And that includes women who are interested in getting the best sound out of their records and CD's as they can?

As per the Life of Brian sketch: we are all individuals.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sarah89 it's nice to have alternatives. One alternative you might want to check out is German, UK and US ebay, as well as other 2nd hand routes such as hi-fi forum classifieds.

Going 2nd hand will sacrifice the guarantee you get with new kit, but for your limited budget you will get so much more in terms of engineering content and sound quality than buying new.

To be honest, I've not come across any brand new speakers costing less than £800 that I'd want to spend more than 10 seconds listening to at home. I've come across loads of £450 2nd hand amp and speaker combinations that I'd be happy to live with.

One approach you could take would be to buy two £225 2nd hand amp and speaker combinations and then you can play "hi-fi shops" at home where you demo the 2 systems off against each other and your existing system and keep whatever you like best and sell on whatever you like least.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts