help with speakers and amp for hubbys turntable

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice as my hubby has got into vinyl the last year or so and has a project essential 2 turntable but he only has it plugged into his old hi-fi, i would like to get him some speakers and a good amp for Christmas so he can appreciate his records more but wanted some advice as to what to get.

He listens to a wide mixture from Pink Floyd to Boards of Canada to Iron Maiden to 90's dance so i need a set of speakers to be bassy when he plays his metal and also clear for his quieter songs like Pink Floyd.

I have a budget of about £250 for the speakers, i've been looking at the Wharfedale diamond 220 or the Monitor Audio bronze bx2 are these any good? any other recommendations in that price bracket would be great.

Also amp wise i've been looking at denon, are they a good amp?

thanks for your help. :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Visit the Richer Sounds web site they always have quality packages on offer.

Don't get fixated on brands, there is alot of choice.

Other thing - speaking for myself ofcourse - include / involve your husband in the search.

I personally hate when my wife picks technology or anything electrical for me.....why?

She never gets what I'd choose - and I'm not one to upset her so will grin and bear.

Just putting that one out there..... :-/

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It might be worthwhile letting us know what the current amp and speakers are. Just want to check because 250 pounds isn't that big a budget and whether or not entry level amps and speakers are an improvement over your current kit may depend on what the current kit is. Most speakers and amps use fairly mature technology that hasn't gone through such big changes over the last few years, unlike TVs where the technology has come on in leaps and bounds and the prices continue to drop.

As the previous poster mentioned, choices in audio equipment can often come down to personal preference so if my wife were considering getting me something I'd want to audition it before buying. I realise this takes away the surprise element of the gift.

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies,

I appreciate you saying wifes might not pick the best choice but my hubby has looked at richer sounds and given me a few choices as to what he liked, he picked out the wharfedales but i have heard good reviews about the monitor audios, I co-own a record shop with my brother so compared to a lot of woman have a bit more of an idea ;)

At the moment his hi-fi is a panasonic which is about 10+ years old from his teens and he only has a cheap £10 preamp plugged into it from ebay so hence why i wanted to get him a more updated package. I realise you can spend unlimited amounts on a good set up but unfortunately £250 on the speakers is all i can spare and around £200 for the amp.

I'm going to head into our local Richer Sounds nearer to Christmas and listen to the pro-ject with a few of the different speakers as that's where i got it for him originally and will also take a record in that i know he listens to a lot to compare the sound quality but just wanted an idea as to a good budget speaker so i can steer clear of any that aren't recommended.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
best vfm i can see is in the system section of richer sounds where theres a good choice for your budget and if you sign up as a vip member on the website you will get another 10.00 off,http://www.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-system-deals/marantz/pah011438/pah011438

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My advise is give him a budget to spend on hifi, if he wants to add to it then its upto him. But dont buy on strength of reviews, audition different amp and speakers, speakers will sound different so hear quite a few.Marantz amp 6005 worth hearing and speakers I think the Dali Zensor 3 would be on my demo list. Richer sounds OK for prices and deals but not the best for advise or auditions IMHO.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I understand the suggestions to let your hubby make the choice, but personally I'd be over the moon if my wife surprised me at Christmas with a new toy! Talk to the manager of your local store and ask about their returns policy - many if not all will gladly exchange within 14 days of purchase. Explain the situation and I'm sure you could get that extended to take into account the fact it is Christmas.

And whilst I agree Richer Sounds is a good port of call, I would recommend a visit to Audio-T or Sevenoaks if either are near you - both stock either Wharfedale or MA (plus other brands in your budget range) and you may well get better service when it comes to demos*. And don't dismiss any independent local dealers if any are near you!

* The closer you get to the Christmas rush the less chance you will have of getting any demo at all so I'd say demo sooner rather than later

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Marantz 6005 is agreat amp, and personally speaking, I'd pair it up with the Dali Zensor 3s.

Available here, though a bit over your budget. http://www.audio-express.co.uk/product.php?_MTZ_PM6005_DAL_ZENSOR3_&CAT=STSYS&id=8176&t=gs&UNIQUEID=75345968&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7NyiBRCOhpuCm9Dq6b4BEiQA9D6qhaNR6R6Qad7MZOywEdnxC1qI-v8mqqzMp7QXVbX7c30aAgzF8P8HAQ

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This might be better for your budget, though I'd still try and stretch it for the Zensor 3s, as they are a major step up on the 220s.

http://www.audio-express.co.uk/product.php?_MTZ_PM6005_WHF_DIA220_ST&id=10317&ae=1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Vladimir said:
Spend all the money on speakers and use the old amp for a year then get a better amp.

My understanding is that he only has an all in one Panasonic hi-fi, so I think an amp and speakers is needed.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sarah.

Can i start buy saying well done you for taking an interest and doing your research. As mentioned is a personal choice, but dont be put off by comments from others. You dont mention the old amp ans speakers. As for your speaker choice you have picked 2 good sets of speakers the Monotor audio and wharfedeles are great at the price and will be sure to please. Im a past wharfedale owner and now a monitor audio owner (silver s 1)

To answer your question your speaker choice will depend on your amp choice. (please avoid the Denon amp) Please choose one of any budget amps from NAD or marantz. for many years the budget amp they produce around £200- 250 are always for the money class leading. no one will argue against that. The NAD is very fond of bass and power the marantz more layed back.

In conclusion the Nad often sounds better with the more honest Monitor audio speakers as they tend to iron out the bass heavy NAD if you go for the Marantz choose the more lively wharfdale to compliment the amp and add a bit of punch.

so look for the Marantz PM6005 (£299) richer sounds

NAD C316BEE (£249)

and match with the speakers of your choice.

Hope this helps

Rob

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
robg1976 said:
(please avoid the Denon amp) Please choose one of any budget amps from NAD or marantz. for many years the budget amp they produce around £200- 250 are always for the money class leading. no one will argue against that. The NAD is very fond of bass and power the marantz more layed back.

Rob

I understand Marantz and Denon are the same company and some amps I believe are esssetially the same, so why avoid Denon?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Vladimir said:
Spend all the money on speakers and use the old amp for a year then get a better amp.

My understanding is that he only has an all in one Panasonic hi-fi, so I think an amp and speakers is needed.

I just think the bass loving hubby would appreciate a pair of floorstanders.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Let start by stating your question does not answer the question asked by the O/P just try start a debate. But to answer you Im not saying Denon amps are no good im stating as a rule we all know Marantz year after year produce class leading budget products and we all know they always produce great amps with great reliabilty to please for many years to come.

Further more Marantz and Nad alike are companys that have a passion for Hi-fi and only produce quality hi-fi products designed by audiophiles rather that built and sold by accountants just to make profit

my point was im sure Sarah and husband will be pleased with them as we all have in the past and the audiophile community would agree a safe bet to but above mentioned products

John Duncan

So to answer your question, I don't think you would go far wrong with the Marantz and either Wharfedale or Dali standmounts. The 3s would certainly give you a lot of presence, and even the 1s might be sufficient. Don't know what people are asking for the Q Acoustics 2020i nowadays, they might be in budget as well and are very good, if slightly oddly shaped :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
So to answer your question, I don't think you would go far wrong with the Marantz and either Wharfedale or Dali standmounts. The 3s would certainly give you a lot of presence, and even the 1s might be sufficient. Don't know what people are asking for the Q Acoustics 2020i nowadays, they might be in budget as well and are very good, if slightly oddly shaped :)

The 2020is are great speakers, and I did like them when I owned them, but the Zensor 3s are in another league, especially with the depth and quality of the bass.

I think Sarah would have a highly delighted husband if she paired the Zensor 3s and the PM6005.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Women and Hifi just don't go together ... :)

To the OP ... set the budget, let him decide ... and prepare for him to over spend. Thats the way it works best and you'll be able to call in favors for some time to come.

regards

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This is the best price I can find for the PM6005/Zensor 3 package, and it has the added bonus of having 5 metres of speaker wire thrown in.

http://www.hifix.co.uk/hi-fi-package-deals/marantz/pm6005-black-inc-zensor-3.html

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-PM6005-Black-Dali-Zensor/dp/B00GMKXQ6C

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

To the OP ... set the budget, let him decide ...

In this instance it is the lady who has more of a clue what she's on about. I think i'd rather let her decide ...

http://www.whathifi.com/comment/862986#comment-862986

... she co-owns a record shop and - I suspect - is at least as interested in the outcome of the upgrade (if not more so) than 'hubby' :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:

To the OP ... set the budget, let him decide ...

In this instance it is the lady who has more of a clue what she's on about. I think i'd rather let her decide ...

http://www.whathifi.com/comment/862986#comment-862986

... she co-owns a record shop and - I suspect - is at least as interested in the outcome of the upgrade (if not more so) than 'hubby' :)

Perhaps. As she has already bought the TT 'for him' and now decides on speakers and an amplifier (when he already has expressed 'his wish' for speakers) me thinks the poor fella, apart from being able to use the stuff, has little choice in the matter :)

Role reversal or testosterone over production?

regards

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Popcorn.gif

sarah89

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
thank you for all the helpful replies everyone i will look into the suggestions you recommended.

As for drummer man wow you have an attitude to woman don't you, as for my 'poor' hubby he also runs the record shop with me, he asked for some speakers and an amp for christmas so hence why i'm here asking for suggestions. I don't appreciate you saying he has no say in the matter as if i am some dominatrix who has cut off his balls as we have been going over different options together but ultimately i would like to surprise him as to what brand he has on Christmas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts