help with revamp

dcarr2

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps some audiophiles can recall the Marantz 6002 cd player. I have this with Harmon Kardon 970 amp and Monitor Bronze BR2 speakers. If I wished to revamp keeping to within somewhere around £300 per unit, which i or 2 items would you change, please? Perhaps ,nothing? Play principally classical stuff and often use headphones. The amp was not a common one but recommended at Sevenoaks. The Marantz obviously had two or three changes, but are they hugely significant?

matthewpiano

Personally I would suggest spending two units worth of money on one unit and upgrading the amp. I'd suggest trying the Rega Brio-R and the new Arcam A19, both of which I feel will get more from your BR2s (which I personally rate more highly than the current BX2s).

£300 changes are only going to give you sideways changes rather than upgrades.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think changing the cd player would make much difference, the big change in sound will probably be the speakers but not sure what you would get for £300. I would prob. look to spend £400-£500 on speakers and hear some in that range. I agree with the above just spending £300 a unit is not going to get you a big upgrade unless you buy used gear. Maybe a few demos, shortlist AE 301s, Epos Epic 3s, B&W CM1s, Kef R100s. Other option would be to add a DAC to your current system, could try the Rega DAC which is about £500.

dcarr2

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
thanks to two replies had so far, done a bit more research,- must have remote and what are your thoughts please regarding the Marantz PM6004 for my player or the Rega Brio-R? According to a review the Yamaha S500 may a be a bit bright. Has anyone had good experiences with these three items. I can then I think decide on a suitable unit. It might suit me better to upgrade the amp rather than speakers and of course the better amp would be good for future upgrade too.

dcarr2

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
thanks to two replies had so far, done a bit more research,- must have remote and what are your thoughts please regarding the Marantz PM6004 for my player or the Rega Brio-R? According to a review the Yamaha S500 may a be a bit bright. Has anyone had good experiences with these three items. I can then I think decide on a suitable unit. It might suit me better to upgrade the amp rather than speakers and of course the better amp would be good for future upgrade too.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Changing your CDP for one of around would make little, maybe no difference. I googled your amp and it seems really well liked.

Personally I'd look at putting your whole budget into speakers.

Arcaydis / EB Acoustics let you try at home and return if you need to.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What do you think is missing from your current system?

I don't think changing the amp would make a great deal of difference to be honest and both those amps you mention are lower power than yours.

If I were you I would have a few demos. I did the same when looking to upgrade my old gear and found that was not a lot of difference between mine and much more expensive new hifi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts