Thaiman and Marco123

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I posted a question about Monitor Audio BR2s vs Focal Chorus 705Vs, which has provoked little response, perhaps becuase the Focals are little known. After a quick search through past forums I see that you are the only two people who have commented/recommended the Focals. I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of addressing you directly like this... The original post was:

I've just been to my local Hi Fi shop to audition speakers. I fully expetced to come away with the MA BR2s in the light of so many great reviews, but then I heard the Focal 705vs. There was a noticeable improvement in soundstaging and depth - as a classical music fan I could begin to understand what serious high-enders mean about having the orchestra in the room when you listen. My only concern was a certain brightness about the sound, which may mean I have to think carefully about pairing with source/amp. I'm thinking of upgrading my old Technics separates to, perhaps, the Marantz 6002 cd/amp combo (though that depends on the what the new 3 series is like).

I can't find many reviews of the Focals and would really appreciate some thoughts. Also, if £300 is my budget, should I be listening to any other speakers that might rival the 705vs?

Yours hopefully....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I did prefer the smaller MA speakers to the floor stand silver series with the system I heard at local dealer. and Focal JM Laps speakers although very good in it's own right, they have a certain house sound that some people might don't like (the 705V are part of very popular AV system). The Marantz combo is as good as it's get for lower budget range and I think both speakers will work well with the chosen electronics.

To be dead honest with you, I haven't heard many speakers this year and most pairs I have demo do cost 10 times as much. The one pair that really stand out for under £300 is Usher 520s, for a moment or two, I was regreting spend that much money on my system when there are some fantastic budget range like this.

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine has some 705's, I went with him when he demoed them and bought them afterwards. We also listened to the BR2's (and RS1's respectively) among others when we were in the shop. What really made the 705's stand out was their lively sound, wide imageing and crystal clear treble. The BR2's were a bit veiled and dull sounding. Vocals seemed more real on the Focals.

Having heard them at his home with his Marantz PM66KI and CD5000, I can honestly say it makes for a lovely sounding system. The only downside to the speakers is the bass to my ears, it feels a bit lacking. In his bedroom where he used to live it wasn't much of a problem, but in his current living room the bass is a bit sucked out. Budget in for some good stands though, as they make a world of difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts