Help!!!! with DTS Master Audio and Dolby Digital True HD via PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help, I am using a PS3 as bluray player connected via HDMI into my Yamaha RX-V 1800.

Although the sound is amazing, I cannot seem to decode DTS Master Audio or Dolby Digital True HD. I have tried selecting Bitsream and PCM via my PS3 however the display on my Yammy just displays Dolby Digital or PCM and does not show DTS Master Audio or DD True HD.

Am I doing something wrong here? Desperate to try the new codecs!

Thanks

Lee

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Simple questions first, are you sure the disc you are playing has the hd formats and have you selected the correct format in the disc menu?

A

Anonymous

I sure am, Departed with DTS MA and Spiderman with DDTH selected and in both cases it only shows dolby digital?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Do you have any other cables connected the the amp from the ps3 i.e optical/coaxial cable? If the amps audio input is set to 'auto' try changing it to 'HDMI'. Sorry these are not technical tasks, but the simple ones are usually effective.

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
The PS3 is not capable of sending HD audio via bitstream, so all the decoding is done by the PS3 before it gets to your amp, set all your Blu Ray disc settings on your PS3 to linear PCM, your PS3 will decode it so it wont say Dolby Digital Plus on your amp, it will just say PCM, if your press display on your PS3 it will tell you what soundtrack it is playing at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mickgw:
The PS3 is not capable of sending HD audio via bitstream, so all the decoding is done by the PS3 before it gets to your amp, set all your Blu Ray disc settings on your PS3 to linear PCM, your PS3 will decode it so it wont say Dolby Digital Plus on your amp, it will just say PCM, if your press display on your PS3 it will tell you what soundtrack it is playing at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps

Mick is spot on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, thats really useful. So I will be getting my DD true hd or DTS MA even though the amp will just say PCM.

In some cases the soundtrack actually sounds more dynamic and louder in Bitstream - should this be the case. Also are you aware of any planned updates from sony to allow hd audio via bitstream?

A

Anonymous

Cheers PJ -I have three questions and unsure of your answers

1) I am benefitting from DD TD and DTS MA even though my amp shows PCM?

2) The sound is lower on PCM, is this correct?

3) Are there any PS3 updates planned to allow the ability to send HD Codecs via Bitstream?

A

Anonymous

Sutch:
Cheers PJ -I have three questions and unsure of your answers

1) I am benefitting from DD TD and DTS MA even though my amp shows PCM?

2) The sound is lower on PCM, is this correct?

3) Are there any PS3 updates planned to allow the ability to send HD Codecs via Bitstream?

1) Yes, it will show "PCM" or (in my Onkyo's case) "Multichannel" but what you are hearing is the hidef sound you have selected.

2) Possibly, it isn't in my case but could vary from amp to amp.

3) Not that I know of.

A

Anonymous

Sutch i have a PS3 to and a yamaha RX-V363 Amp, i have the PS3 connected via HMDi to my Tv and Optical from my amp to PS3. I have both the boxes ticked Linear PCM in the PS3 Sound settings because my amp is not ready for Dolby True HD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts