Help with conecting ONKYO with DVD player via component cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, can anyone help with this one? I have an old DVD player with component connections on the back. I want to connect this to my receiver. The receiver manual says if I connect using component leads I will need to connect the receiver to the tv with component leads as well. For the audio I will use an optical connection. My question is can I also connect the receiver to the tv using the HDMI cable and choose between the two? Any answers gratefully received.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Or you could invest in a new dvd player with hdmi connection that upscales. The reason I've mentioned this is that they are so cheap at the moment because of the HD dvd/Blue-ray thing going on. You can get a very decent machine for around £75 and then you have less cables to worry about.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andrew. Hope you didn't think I was being lazy by NOT reading the manual (which I did...but missed the bit on page 52). I got confused because on page 37 it says under stage 1 that if you use connection A (which is component) then you must connect the AV receiver to your TV with the same type of connection-which I took to mean another component!

A

Anonymous

Mmmm you may have a point although I have to (with a bit of embaressment) have to admit that I bought a £75 component cable for the job...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="michaelsaffron"]Hope you didn't think I was being lazy by NOT reading the manual[/quote]

Not at all - being sad enough to spend most of my life reading manuals online to solve problems here, I feel for anyone trying to set these things up from scratch, as the manuals are overly complex and confusing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts