Help with cleaning heads on a teac R-H300

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all

I couple of years ago I was given a TEAC Reference 300 mini separates system.

Can anyone help with how to clean the heads etc of the tape deck it has one of those motorised horizontal tape trays. So the heads are deep inside the unit.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Search for a cassette head cleaner on Amazon.
There are various types from about £5
Thanks. I do have the traditional bottles of cleaning fluid and cotton buds for a normal vertical tape deck.

Was just nervous about getting a cassette based cleaner as I've always been led to believe they can damage heads.
I will check amazon out.

Thanks again

The class device was always the Allsop cassette head cleaner. I had a quick look on eBay, and Deco Audio - a proper Hifi dealer - is selling them.

Unlike the scratchy tape types you may be wary of, these use oscillating pads that you moisten with the supplied cleaning liquid.

Before you buy anything, I’d check what Teac suggest in the manual, as a very few players are incompatible with cleaning cassettes.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
The class device was always the Allsop cassette head cleaner. I had a quick look on eBay, and Deco Audio - a proper Hifi dealer - is selling them.

Unlike the scratchy tape types you may be wary of, these use oscillating pads that you moisten with the supplied cleaning liquid.

Before you buy anything, I’d check what Teac suggest in the manual, as a very few players are incompatible with cleaning cassettes.
Yeah it was the scratchy tape types I was thinking of. I did look on Amazon as symples suggested and found the pad based one.

I'll have to download the manual as when I acquired the reference 300 I didn't get that with it.

Thanks for the advice about checking the manual.

Gray

You've probably got 4 side screws at most EDIT: or not, if it's a mini system...but where there's a will, shouldn't be too difficult...
....you will soon see if you've got nice, easy access.
Then, using your buds and alcohol you can properly clean heads AND capstan and pinch roller.
Better than any cleaning cassette - and no extra cost 👍

(I've got one of the material 'tape' type cleaners...not as good as a manual clean).

Last edited:

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Taking the lid off will enable you to check the drivebelts too. I have an older Aiwa tapedeck that was very good. Didn't use it for a while as I found the belts had dissolved to mush. Found some online dealer in Portugal that sold spares and £9 later it was up and running very sweetly. Using cotton buds and IPA as above and I couldn't believe the crud that came off everything.

Yeah it was the scratchy tape types I was thinking of. I did look on Amazon as symples suggested and found the pad based one.

I'll have to download the manual as when I acquired the reference 300 I didn't get that with it.

You’re welcome. It may be an unnecessary precaution re the manual, but I recall a few machines objected to the lack of an actual tape - perhaps an optical sensor was present - and would simply switch off!

I had a quick look here - if I have the correct one - and it simply says to use a cleaning tape! https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/teac/r-h300.shtml
A free download as long as you register. No spam, don’t worry.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
You've probably got 4 side screws at most EDIT: or not, if it's a mini system...but where there's a will, shouldn't be too difficult...
....you will soon see if you've got nice, easy access.
Then, using your buds and alcohol you can properly clean heads AND capstan and pinch roller.
Better than any cleaning cassette - and no extra cost 👍

You’re welcome. It may be an unnecessary precaution re the manual, but I recall a few machines objected to the lack of an actual tape - perhaps an optical sensor was present - and would simply switch off!

I had a quick look here - if I have the correct one - and it simply says to use a cleaning tape! https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/teac/r-h300.shtml
A free download as long as you register. No spam, don’t worry.
Thanks for that.

I had a quick look at a manual last night and couldn't find any cleaning instructions.

TRENDING THREADS