Help with cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
U

unknown

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi mikefarrow

May i ask as to what cables are you using with your components/system please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hello Rick

i use russ andrews/kimber cables. i'm sure you can get just as good for less money but they were all purchased at discount so not to costly.

just interested to know your experience with different cables when used in your top, "reference" system.

(your knowledge of hi fi, being a retailor, will obviously be greater than mine !)

thanks for your reply

abacus

Top professional film and music studios have equipment that makes even top end Hi Fi look and sound like a budget setup, and if these expensive cables gave a better sound quality they would use them, however they don’t because these s expensive exotic cables don’t make a difference so save your money and don’t be taken in by the hype.

Hope this helps

Bill

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
Top professional film and music studios have equipment that makes even top end Hi Fi look and sound like a budget setup, and if these expensive cables gave a better sound quality they would use them, however they don’t because these s expensive exotic cables don’t make a difference so save your money and don’t be taken in by the hype.

Hope this helps

Bill

:wall:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bill

Having designed studio equipment (albeit a long time ago) for a well known broadcaster, at no time did we engage in any cable tomfoolery. If you search, you can still find firms that carry BBC spec cables - not a "silverscreen" or "anniversary" in sight. Quite remarkable how they managed to produce some of the best recordings of the 20th century without the benefit of modern cable marketing.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the AudioQuest Flip Fil on a very high end system and it is very good. For the money it costs thats probably what I would buy if I were buying in that range.

Interconnects - I am not a fan of the cheaper chord interconnnects, sound naff if you ask me - i would look elsewhere. I have never found a cheap interconnect to be any good, always lacking somewhere

Depending on the length you need If short I would buy these.

You can get a free home demo before you buy - these will cost you a bit more but see it as an investment - if you think they are good.

Or if you can manage it - these are a bit better

camcroft

JZC said:
I've no doubt they'll work as cables should do and you'll be able to hear your speakers okay. But you may be happier with these http://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-Signature-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B00DBY5OIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1393358231&sr=1-1 ;)
especially if you are on a tight budget
smiley-cool.gif

daveclaire77

Jan 25, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
jlg said:
I'm not a rich man, I just think that there are differences between cables sound.

You're right, there are. And the differences are fairly-well explained by commonly-accepted physics. So despite what some people may tell you, beyond a certain qualatitive threshold (which can be reached by a decent well-made €10-€15 interconnect) there is nothing left to improve..

+1

My rule of thumb has always been to avoid cheap and nasty cables but any well made, quality, reasonably priced cables should do the job. Have a look here £16.99 for a 1m Stereo interconnect.

http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/hifistudio-2rca2rca.htm

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:

sorry, but just read about their usb cable... "Audio data comprises of fast 'highs' and 'lows' - it's sent much faster than printer data - and if there's noise on the audio data 'highs' can become 'lows' and 'lows' can become 'highs' ruining the high fidelity of the audio data."

:rofl:

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
andyjm said:
ISAC69 said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bill

Having designed studio equipment (albeit a long time ago) for a well known broadcaster, at no time did we engage in any cable tomfoolery. If you search, you can still find firms that carry BBC spec cables - not a "silverscreen" or "anniversary" in sight. Quite remarkable how they managed to produce some of the best recordings of the 20th century without the benefit of modern cable marketing.

Yes! We have the trifecta of abacus, cheeseboy and andyjm in a cable thread once again! :dance:

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Yes! We have the trifecta of abacus, cheeseboy and andyjm in a cable thread once again! :dance:

yet you seem to follow and beride us for doing the exact same thing you are doing. Funny that isn't it? Anything to add on why professional studios and those actually making the music don't see fit to use all the hifi audio cables that people are convinced are needed for things to sound better, or are you just going to spend your time being a hypocrite?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:

sorry, but just read about their usb cable... "Audio data comprises of fast 'highs' and 'lows' - it's sent much faster than printer data - and if there's noise on the audio data 'highs' can become 'lows' and 'lows' can become 'highs' ruining the high fidelity of the audio data."

:rofl:

This is not a thread intended for debate - just to point out a a few ideas for the op to consider.

You clearly have a solid view - its not shared by all

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
This is not a thread intended for debate - just to point out a a few ideas for the op to consider.

that's ok, there is no debate, what they are saying is utter tosh. Having said that, I do like the look of some of the other cables they do in fairness.

ellisdj said:
I would advise using the free home demo service - if you dont like it dony buy it. I would guess they sell to about 95% of the people who test the products. They are very good

and to give them credit, that's good customer service to offer something like that, and for that they should be applauded and other vendors should follow suit.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you read through a few of these threads - you will get quite a few different random peoples opinions on the various cables from Slee.

They are not mass manufactured - they are hand made to order unless you buy from one of the retailers that sell them of course. There is deliberatley no intended snake oil - there is generally a scientific or measured reasoning to whats being said/ claimed. Cheesboy will say different about the USB Cable, thats ok - I have been trying to find some articles I have read recently with a similar view to what Slee has written just for parity.

I will put a link when I find them - I have linked to them on WHF before but cant rememebr the thread :)

mikefarrow said:
hello Rick

can i ask what is the top of the range / reference system you use plus your experiences when you have tested more costly cables on this system ?

thanks for reply

Hi mikefarrow

Thanks for your reply.

A system which i was recently using (not to of the range but still expensive) consisted of a Rega Saturn-R- CD-DAC, Plinius Hiato, ATC curved SCM19 monitors and a JL Audio Fathom f212. All components were connected using a basic interconnect (supplied with a Trio M-50 Midi system bought in 1986), a pro cable for the sub (bought from a local electrical store) and standard 500 OFC speaker cables.

As to to latter part i will say is that i was acting like a snob.

Keep it simple. Simple is best.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

U

unknown

MUSICRAFT said:
mikefarrow said:
hello Rick

can i ask what is the top of the range / reference system you use plus your experiences when you have tested more costly cables on this system ?

thanks for reply

Hi mikefarrow

Thanks for your reply.

A system which i was recently using (not to of the range but still expensive) consisted of a Rega Saturn-R- CD-DAC, Plinius Hiato, ATC curved SCM19 monitors and a JL Audio Fathom f212. All components were connected using a basic interconnect (supplied with a Trio M-50 Midi system bought in 1986), a pro cable for the sub (bought from a local electrical store) and standard 500 OFC speaker cables.

As to to latter part i will say is that i was acting like a snob.

Keep it simple. Simple is best.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

dear Rick

thanks for reply. interesting to find a retailor that recommends the use of just basic cables !

i take it in the past you have tried various "costlier" cables and found no improvements ?

i find that different cables alter the sound of my system (slightly) but the more expensive cables dont actually sound better.

once again, thanks for reply !

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Much ado about nothing.

Is it really that difficult to borrow some wires from a dealer? I think everybody should make her own mind for herself in her own system and room. No matter what some dealers preach or what somebody says on some forum - wheather that cables don't make much of a difference or that it is essential to put significant part of the budget towards them.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did not want to open a debate on cables :roll:

I finally bought the Wireworld Luna 7 and Inakustik Speaker Cable Msr 2 easily available in my country (Spain). 60 Euros

Your recommended cables are harder to find and take longer to arrive.

This weekend will listen and give you my impressions.

Thank you all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts