Help with cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to be buying a DacMagic in the new year to hook my PC up to. The computer is at the other side of the room to my amp and I'm using a long phono cable to connect it. When I purchase the dac would it be better to buy a short coaxial cable and have the dac close to my PC thus still using the long phono to connect, or buy a long coax, place the dac near the amp and hook it up with a short length phono? Obviously I'm looking for the best sound quality :). Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'd say go for the long digital lead and short phono leads. thats what i've done. i'm not an expert but it seems to me an analog signal would be more delicate and open to signal degradation. also you'd have to buy two long analog leads rather than one long digital.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much what I was thinking. How come you say I'd have to buy two long analogs though, that confused me? Surely it would just be a case of using the one I have from dac to amp :-s. Not that it matters anyway seen as the way to go is the long digital cable lol.

idc

The phono (analogue) connection is with two cables. Digital coax/optical/USB for a digital signal use one cable.

I agree that with RF and EM interference and cost, the way to do that is with a long digital cable, as a digital cable is usually cheaper and the signal less effected, as was said when in digital format.

A

Anonymous

Oh I see, two cables as in left and right channels, my bad. I completely misunderstood that. Yeah, I figured that the digital signal is less prone to degradation over a long cable run, I suppose I was hoping for advice to the contrary so that I didn't have an uber long unused phono cable left at the end of it all ;-). Thanks for the help :-D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts