Help with AV setup, specifically ARC

redandwhitemonkey

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm looking some help with setting up my new AV receiver. I've just purchased a new AV receiver (Sony STR-DN1050) and I'm about to begin attaching the labyrinth of wires. My tv (Sony KDL-32W4000) does have hdmi inputs but none of those have ARC (Audio Return Channel). Despite my googling I don't really understand what ARC is and does.

I had assumed that I just put all the sources into the AV receiver and then have one hdmi from its output to the input on the tv. However the user manual appears to suggest that a connection to tv without ARC should be hdmi cable and an optical cable. It is a little ambiguous and could also be read that the optical cable is optional. I don't have a optical cable, so before I go buy one I was wondering if any one could tell whether it is necessary?

D

Deleted member 116933

Its stands for audio return channle and it dose just that. (something actually named appropriately)

Basically your TV outputs sound down the HDMi cable thats connected from the amp to the TV but both have to able of doing it.

Older tv dont have it (one of mine dosent) so an optical cable will do the same thing. some will argue it will sound better.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
So just to add to the previous post, when you DO have ARC, you only need one HDMI connection between receiver and TV. So if you're using a source plugged into your receiver, it processes the sound and sends the video signal to the TV.

If you're using the TV as a source (its own tuner, or maybe its 'smart' features), then the same HDMI cable will send the audio signals the other direction to your receiver.

So when you DON'T have ARC the HDMI connection will ONLY send the video signal from your receiver to the TV. So if you want to use your TV as a source, it won't send audio signals to your receiver unless you use another cable. On my TV I have the option of analogue RCA output or Optical digital.

Hope that makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS