Help want an AV Receiver excellant on music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone help iam after a new AV receiver which is very good with music, my listening is about 70/30 music/av. I am currently auditoning Rega Apollo CD player, have sony bdp s 500 blue ray dvd and monitor audio silver rs1, rsclr and srfx speakers. I want to take advantage of the dolby true hd etc on the av but want it to sound good on music. Is a good way forward to have a stereo amp for music, and then an av receiver to do the surround can this be done and if so how is it wired. Budget upto £1500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

i have my system wired that way. your av receiver has to have pre-amp outputs so you connect its pre-amp front outputs to an input in your stereo amp. the receiver will drive the center and surround spkrs and the stereo amp will drive the fronts when you are watching movies.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rrr925"]

i have my system wired that way. your av receiver has to have pre-amp outputs so you connect its pre-amp front outputs to an input in your stereo amp. the receiver will drive the center and surround spkrs and the stereo amp will drive the fronts when you are watching movies.[/quote]
Do you have to juggle two volume controls for movies or will the av amp increase/decrease the stereo amp volume as well as the centre and rears ?

A

Anonymous

ok, that's a good one. in my case, since i don't have a 5.1 spkr setup, i set the volume control of the receiver at 12 o'clock and only deal with the vol control of my pre-power combo for both music and movies. i know there are stereo amps that have some sort of pass-through so you only dial one volume control. you would have to do a good search for one of them. i think anthem builds an inexpensive pre-amp that has that feature. and anyone who knows better please step into this discussion.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
So you would use dvd players digital out to av reciever digital in. Does this then give a better two channel sound than say using the dvds's l/r analoge out plugged direct into the stereo amps's aux in for example.

A

Anonymous

well, i got it wired both ways. why? because for harsh-sounding cd's i will use the cd player's digital out so i can tame the sound through the pre-amp section of the receiver. for good-sounding cd's, i will listen to them straight from cd player to pre-power combo. my rig includes a sony db series receiver bought in 2000, the audio refinement pre-5 pre-amp,the nad 270 pwr amp, and the marantz 5400 cd player. frankly, it's almost always hard to tell the difference between the dac in the receiver and the one in the cd player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts