Help! USB not working for DAC

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Its really baffling me, gone and purchased a V dacII thinknig my old dacmagic had stopped working, getting the same problem with the new dac :O tried a different usb cable and its the same , the usb outputs seem to be working for other devices, the green light is on the dac saying its recieving something on usb , also then the dacmagic incoming sample rate light also lit up when the usb was plugged in...but yet no sound on both, the dacs work on optical from my CD player,,,,so I am begining to think its the computer end,,,,the sound works ok through the computer speakers......its baffling , any ideas please before I go mad !!!.....windows 7 BTW ...please help :)

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Do they need special drivers?

Try going to windows control pane; and look at the system hardware - device manager section, you should find the DAC listed but if there is a problem there should be a cross or exclamation mark by it so then you can try troubleshooting the device by right clicking on it if I remember correctly!

Tommo

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Do they need special drivers?

Try going to windows control pane; and look at the system hardware - device manager section, you should find the DAC listed but if there is a problem there should be a cross or exclamation mark by it so then you can try troubleshooting the device by right clicking on it if I remember correctly!

Tommo

thanks

I dont think there are special drivers as no cd comes with dacs

did what you sayed, it showed the dac as saying unavailable, did the right click and it sayed ' windows is finding a soloution' or something to that effect, still says unavaiable on the icon , and still no sound,,,, :wall: no wonder some folk stick with cd and vinyl :roll: any other suggestions, other than throwing it all out the window

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just found this on the MF site for the Vdac2, could not find the manual for the VDac1 but it may help....

Additional USB information On the host computer, a new mixer will be available, which is the default mixer whenever the DAC is plugged in. Use this mixer to select the source or adjust levels if required. CD, MP3, WAV files played on any software should now play through the DAC. This device has been designed to work with Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP.

The computer drivers for the USB input of the V-DAC should install automatically. To check correct installation follow these steps:

PC users

Check the computer has picked up the device and is currently using it by clicking: (most Windows versions)
[*]Start [*]Settings [*]Control panel [*]Sounds and Multimedia [*]Audio
Check "USB audio device" appears under PREFERRED AUDIO DEVICE tab

As you can see it does not list Windows 7 so you may need to contact MF directly to see if they can help

Tommo

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Just found this on the MF site for the Vdac2, could not find the manual for the VDac1 but it may help....

PC users

Check the computer has picked up the device and is currently using it by clicking: (most Windows versions)
[*]Start [*]Settings [*]Control panel [*]Sounds and Multimedia [*]Audio
Check "USB audio device" appears under PREFERRED AUDIO DEVICE tab

As you can see it does not list Windows 7 so you may need to contact MF directly to see if they can help

Tommo

Thanks for your feedback :) , just had a play around with settings with my old dacmagic plugged in as this was the original device, for some reason it was not set as default there was a tick against 'realtek hd

but not againts the dac icon or the speakers :? dont know how this happened as I never go into those settings, so I clicked on 'set as default' and I got sound, Then I plugged in the v dac and the usb recongnized but only after a reboot, but still no sound, then I unplugged the vdacs power cord

and reconnected, now its working, what a lot of faffing lol , The Vdac is a pysically poorly designed unit IMO, but its sound is full and rich, there is no on/off switch, there was a very loud static niose when i pulled the power cord out, yikes , i dont think it did the tweeters any favours, should have turned the volume down !

Now I am reeling after uneccassarily spending £200 on a new dac, but it sounds better than the DM so I will probably sell that on and consider this a little upgrade

TRENDING THREADS