Help! Turntable high pitched noise

Dastubzla

Sep 1, 2024
Visit site
Please can anyone help. I recently bought a 2nd hand Audio Technica AT LP60 for my daughter to play her Taylor Swift records on. But I’m having an issue where there is a high pitched noise emitted from the speakers as soon as “on” is switched or the tonearm is lifted towards the record and the turntable starts spinning.
I’ve tried two different RCA cables via line to different powered speakers, I’ve tried RCA phono to my amp, I’ve tried different power supplies and nothing is working. Any ideas what could be causing it? I’ve taken a video to demonstrate the noise. All the audio equipment I have works fine it’s just the turntable it seems
View: https://vimeo.com/1020701058

Without having listened to your issue the problem could be multiple.
Is there an earth wire issue?
What state is the cartridge in?
where is the turntable positioned in respect to your amp?
Regardless of that buying second-hand turntables is a nightmare and I suggest you return it as unfit for purpose.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I was thinking the high pitched noise might be Miss Swift.....then I played your video.

You can start by getting the TT off the amp and as far away from it as the cable will allow.

I'm guessing it might be one of those designs where, in the off position, the signal cables from the arm get shorted out (to prevent noise issues)....hence why you hear noise as soon as you switch to 'on' - it opens up ready for music - but also picks up the noise you've got.
(Really wouldn't be a surprise if it was coming from the close proximity amp).

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts