Help to build my first hi-fi system

alkasp

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys, I’m new here. I need help to build my first true hi-fi system (budget: 1500-1800£). I’m considering the following pieces (ex-demo/on sale): Amps:- Primare i21- Rega Brio R Speakers:- Tannoy Precision 6.2- Tannoy XT 6 F- Rega RS5 Which would you pair with which? Which would you suggest? The room is a spacious one, though the listening zone is only a part (5m x 4m) of it. The speakers would have a lot of space beside and in front of them but not so much behind them (max 30 cm from the wall). This I guess could be a problem with certain speakers. I listen to rock (50%), classical (30%), jazz/electronic/new age (20%). I prefer a spacious soundstage and, possibly, a detailed and natural sound. I’ll use a digital source + a DAC (still to be defined which). Please, feel free to comment, criticize and/or suggest alternative setups. Thank you for your consideration! Alberto

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alberto and welcome.

Given the kit you have listed, there is no reason why you shouldn't try and mix and match if you can....depending on the character of the sound you prefer.

The two amps you have listed are both competent...do you have access to brands like Arcam, Creek, Croft and Peachtree?

What other speakers can you get hold of....I happen to like Kef R Series / LS50, which would work with both Rega and Primare.

The two speakers you have listed sound quite different:

The Regas are quite warm and pleasant with decent scale if a little safe and unexciting.....I am expecting this to be improved with the new model. It takes an amp with decent current to control the bass.

Tannoys are clean, crisp and fairly neutral with a controlled bass. The treble can get edgy with the wrong amp.

alkasp

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions CnoEvil.

In the same price range I added to the set I'm going to audition next week the Arcam FMJ A19. For the speakers, I definitely prefer a controlled bass: I prefer to listen to the wood rather to the air blast of the bass drum :)

Very curious about the renowned Kef LS50: I will give them a try.

Cheers,

Alberto

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts