help starting out...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

thiking about going down the slippery slope of a turntable. I say slippery as with me i seem to always find something new to buy! i have a Denon 3310 with monitor audio speakers - what would you recommend as a decent entry level turntable? i dont have any budget in mind.. but i probably cant spend more that 200 pounds initially at least! i dont know anything about turntables.. how would it connect to my Denon 3310?

Cheers,

Mick

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Any turntable with a moving magnet cartridge will be fine (and at £200, this is going to be the large majority).

Are you looking to archive existing vinyl or planning on starting a new collection?

If you are happy 2nd hand, then I would suggest something like a Rega Planar 2 for around £100ish, leaving you £100 for a cartridge like the AT-120E or Ortofon 2M Red, and shipping.

If you would prefer new, the Project Essential is a solid option for £150ish, or if you can stretch 10% above your budget, the Rega RP1 is a 5-star rated option.

I still think a 2nd hand Planar 2 with better cartridge will sound better, but it's horses for courses.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - this is a completely new adventure for so starting from scratch..

Thank you for the advice

Cheers,

mick

fatboyslimfast:Hi there, Any turntable with a moving magnet cartridge will be fine (and at £200, this is going to be the large majority). Are you looking to archive existing vinyl or planning on starting a new collection? If you are happy 2nd hand, then I would suggest something like a Rega Planar 2 for around £100ish, leaving you £100 for a cartridge like the AT-120E or Ortofon 2M Red, and shipping. If you would prefer new, the Project Essential is a solid option for £150ish, or if you can stretch 10% above your budget, the Rega RP1 is a 5-star rated option. I still think a 2nd hand Planar 2 with better cartridge will sound better, but it's horses for courses.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
In that case I would go for a Planar 2 (or P2 if you can find one within reach) and an Ortofon 2M red. You will get the most for your money with those two.

Left-field option, slightly above budget: Technics SL1210 with new AT-95E cartridge. Not to everyone's taste and will probably total around £250 for a good one with the cart, but simplicity itself to use and will last a lifetime. I run the AT-95E along with a AT-91 and my Denon DL110 - the 95E gives a really good account of itself and is my day-to-day cart...

Both of the above will sell for similar to the purchase price, were you to decide that Vinyl isn't for you...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i was going to buy a Rega Rp1 today but i need to ask about dust and if its a factor with turntables? We have an open fire in the room, so i'm constantly cleaning dust off our tv (at least once a week) just fine particles.. would this pose a problem for the RP1? from the pictures it doesnt look like it comes with a cover? For a little less money i could also get a Marantz TT42 - which looks like it does have a cover.. would therey be much in it quality wise?

Cheers,

Mick

fatboyslimfast:In that case I would go for a Planar 2 (or P2 if you can find one within reach) and an Ortofon 2M red. You will get the most for your money with those two. Left-field option, slightly above budget: Technics SL1210 with new AT-95E cartridge. Not to everyone's taste and will probably total around £250 for a good one with the cart, but simplicity itself to use and will last a lifetime. I run the AT-95E along with a AT-91 and my Denon DL110 - the 95E gives a really good account of itself and is my day-to-day cart... Both of the above will sell for similar to the purchase price, were you to decide that Vinyl isn't for you...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thank You very much just put my order in for the RP1, asked my dealer and he did indeed confirm it comes with a lid.. now the next question.. what should my first record be? i'd like something easy listening.. and possibly romantic.. to help convince my wife not to throw me out..

chebby:

The RP1 (as with all Rega turntables) comes with a lid and Rega recommend using it.

These are ideal for dusting turntable lids...

http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=5876

Scratch free and pick up all the dust & particles.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
What about Dead or Alive and " You Spin Me Round ( like a record) ". Corny , but you did ask .

As for getting thrown out , wait until you start talking about spending £2000 on a turntable and see what the reaction is . No , I haven't got that sort of money at the moment either , but you've got to get them used to the idea of spending that sort of money before it comes along .

Nick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys, My Rp1 came yesterday and got all set up last night.. bought 3 records (after a lot of debating in the shop) ... Sade, Beach Boys and Diana Ross.. they were relatively expensive so didnt go mad.. anyway i'm happy to report its a hit in our house.. my wife loves it.. the whole simplicity of it.. and she commented several times on how 'pure' the sound is.. it actually sounds great with my monitor audios.. i'm sure it could probably sound a whole lot better but so far so good! i think we will be buying more records.. i havent bought a cd in a long time.. so the music industry is getting something back from me now.. one of the records came with a voucher to download the tracks in mp3 format.. i think thats a cool idea.. just to have the option to listen in the car or on the mp3 player on the way to work

couple of quick questions.. i have the turntable set up close enough to the tv setup and when playing records i cant seem to work the volume on my 3310 with the remote.. is there some sort of interference going on from the Rega? its no hassle anyway as i have a very hand App for my phone which allows me to control the receiver from it..

now this may seem thick.. but how should you handle the records? i'm terrified by holding them by the edges i'm going to drop one on our tiles and it will be smashed into pieces.. what should you do to get speckles of fluff etc off the record?

Also when changing sides - i'm guessing you should switch off the turn table? and when moving the arm in/out should it only be with the arm support raised?

Anyway so far so good.. its great..

Thanks for the help

Cheers,

Mick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Remove from the record sleeve by holding the edge of the record by the thumb and the centre by two or three fingers, it's a simple balancing act. Transfer the record so that you are holding both edges 180 degrees apart in the fingers of both hands one edge in each hand and place the record on the turntable, make sure you removed the lid first. Do not touch the surface of the vinyl where the needle goes.
I hope that does not sound too condescending?

When I had a Planar 3 the Rega information with it advised to switch the Turntable on at the start of a record playing session and leave running until the end, do not turn off when you turn a record over, this reduces strain on the motor and belt. It also recommended spinning the platter by hand when switching on as this assists the motor on start up.
Always use the cueing device to lift and lower the arm onto the record and I always locked my arm on it's cradle when turning the record over to save an accident.
You can buy a carbon fibre brush to remove the fluff from the record if necessary.

I can't advise on the remote problem.

Enjoy your vinyl and have a trip around the charity shops to pick up some cheap bargains, inspect them first though.

One final piece of advise, leave your tuntable alone if/when you've had a skinful.

iMark

This brings back memories!

When I was about 8 years old my dad had me started on putting records on the player. Here's a few tips on how to handle LPs.

To get the record out of the sleeve hold the inner sleeve in a horizontal position. Slide your hand under the record without touching it. Put your fingers on the label and your thumb on the side of the record until you have a delicate grip. Slide the record out of the sleeve. Put the sleeve away and hold the record with both hands just on the side of the record. Place the record on the player.

I have done this thousands of times and I have never dropped a record.

To change sides you lift the stylus with the arm lift and bring it back to the rest. You can switch of the player but you might as well leave it running. Use both hands to hold the record at the sides and simpy flip it over. Then put the stylus back on. I don't think it will damage to player to leave it running but you may want to switch it off at the beginning until you get more confidence in handling the records.

There are very good brushes to take dust of the records. Just have a look in a shop or on Amazon. Don't use any cleaners that use liquids while playing because they will always leave some residue in the groove.

There are however some really good solutions to clean old or second hand LP's. One of them is Disco Antistat which uses two brushes and a liquid to go deep into the groove. Don't use the supplied fluid but make your own. More information here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conrad-Disco-Antistat-Disco-antistat-set/dp/B000BFXIVW

If you have records with paper inner sleeves just bin those and get proper anti-static ones.

The main thing is to never touch any groove with your fingers. Only touch the side and the label.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys.. one more question.. is it ok to leave a record on the turntable once finished listening and switched off or are you always better just put them away?

Off to do some hunting for more records today!

Cheers for the help

mick

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
In the short term, you can leave it on. A few hours wont hurt unless your room is incredibly warm, or if the TT is in direct sunlight..... but best to put it away really.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
My advice is to remove the record from the TT, place in a plastic sleeve and then in the LP cover, store upright preferably in a cupboard. Do not store in direct sunlight or near a radiator or heat source. Keep the lid on the TT when not in use, I always put the lid down when playing LPs on my Rega.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
my first dissapointments today.. bought some secondhand records and they are all crackles... one i was especially looking forward to listening to was the Mission soundtrack.. ah well i guess its back to the shop tomorrow.. a couple of more skipped while playing.. i guess thats the joys of buying secondhand!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Some vinyl, whilst looking clean can be really quite mucky in the grooves.

If there is a cheap album you don't mind experimenting on, try this as a quick cleaning method (not recommended for priceless items though!). I use it for a lot of my Car-boot finds to get rid of most of the boulders before putting into my Knosti.

Get a pack of unperfumed, unmoisturising baby wipes and a good quality microfibre cloth (anything that isn't in a pack of 3 for £1 should be ok...).

Fold the baby wipe so it's about the same width as the playing area of the vinyl, then (and this is the important bit) move it around the record, angling the wipe so it follows the groove.

Go round the vinyl 3 times with a reasonable pressure, then do the same with the folded microfibre cloth. Repeat on the other side of the cloth, to ensure dryness. Again make sure the angle of the cloth follows the grooves - if the cloth just skims over the top, it won't clean the grooves properly.

Play this side of vinyl through to the end - you might need to de-fluff the stylus half way through the side, then clean the other side and play that.

I'm pretty confident you will notice quite a difference...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
what do You use to defluff the stylus? would it be worth trying this with the records i bought before returning? the shop did say if there was any problems just bring them back..

fatboyslimfast:Some vinyl, whilst looking clean can be really quite mucky in the grooves. If there is a cheap album you don't mind experimenting on, try this as a quick cleaning method (not recommended for priceless items though!). I use it for a lot of my Car-boot finds to get rid of most of the boulders before putting into my Knosti. Get a pack of unperfumed, unmoisturising baby wipes and a good quality microfibre cloth (anything that isn't in a pack of 3 for £1 should be ok...). Fold the baby wipe so it's about the same width as the playing area of the vinyl, then (and this is the important bit) move it around the record, angling the wipe so it follows the groove. Go round the vinyl 3 times with a reasonable pressure, then do the same with the folded microfibre cloth. Repeat on the other side of the cloth, to ensure dryness. Again make sure the angle of the cloth follows the grooves - if the cloth just skims over the top, it won't clean the grooves properly. Play this side of vinyl through to the end - you might need to de-fluff the stylus half way through the side, then clean the other side and play that. I'm pretty confident you will notice quite a difference...

A

Anonymous

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I could really do with some 'help on starting out too', although my queries are of a slightly different nature.

In short, I have a NAD 533 turntable, Trio Ka-3700 amp (integrated, and with built in phono stage) and some JBL creature speakers (with single 3.5mm jack 'aux' connection. essentially for use with mac or pc, so not 'live')

SETUP...I have phono plugs going into Amp from my NAD, and 'audio splitter' (OR jack to twin RCA plug adaptor) from speakers to Amp (plugged into phono sockets) HOWEVER, STILL NO SOUND!!!!!

Help would be greatly appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS