Help Sites..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Ive never had any kind of home cinema - But looking to start after Xmas (hopefully getting some pennies towards an receiver for xmas hehe)

Im looking at the Onkyo TX-SR606 - Id like to connect a

PS 3, Xbox 360, Sky + And my TV - My TV only has one HDMI port. I was wondering if this receiver is suitable ? If so how would/should I connect everything up ? - Or does anyone know of a support site that shows how to setup a system (which pictures ideally ! hehe)

Thanks All and Merry Christmas

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Thanks for the quick replies ! - Ive looked at the videos and they seems to go from "this is your receiver" and then next video starts when everything is already connected... Sorry for being so new at this - I think I need very very basic help

Like ..

If I have my PS3 connected directely to my TV (via its only HDMI port) how should I connect my TV and PS 3 to the receiver to get sound? or Do I connect my PS 3 directly to the receiver and somehow send a cable from the receiver to the TV thus using the receiver for audio/image for the PS3 .. If that makes sense at all ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Daveh.. Another stupid question im afraid..

If im connecting my TV to AV via hdmi .. How do I get the visual from the PS3 to the TV? =/

Thanks again =/

daveh75

right if you have your a/v receiver connected to the tv via hdmi, then all your sources connected to the a/v receiver ,when you select that source on the a/v it will output that sources video via the hdmi that's connected from the receiver to the tv

A

Anonymous

Great Thanks,

Ok I THINK im starting to get my head around this now

So

Av > TV via HDMI

Then

PS3 > AV via Digital optical

Xbox360 > AV Via Component (as I don't think the 360 has optical ports)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nikon82:Av > TV via HDMI

PS3 > AV via Digital optical

Xbox360 > AV Via Component (as I don't think the 360 has optical ports)
As Dave says, HDMI from PS3 to AV amp (this carries both audio and sound). For the Xbox, once you purchase the component lead for it, there is an optical out on the back of the component lead itself (since the component signal does not carry audio). So plug the component end into your amp for picture, then get an optical lead and plug this into the back of the optical out on the lead and then hook the other end to the amp - this will then give you 5.1 sound from the Xbox.
Let me know if that isn't clear as I'm struggling to explain it for some reason!
EDIT - Here's a pic to hopefully make my gobbledygook a bit clearer(!):

The optical port is the black socket on the right of the component lead output.

A

Anonymous

You can use ur hdmi lead and the special adaptor that comes with your Elite 360 so that you can use an optical lead at the same time.

A

Anonymous

Also if you run the xbox component lead into the 606, then you'll need an extra component lead from the 606 to the TV. It won't send the video down the HDMI lead already connected to the telly.

Course you can always plug the xbox component lead straight into the TV, but then you need to switch the amp and the TV to the component source to use the xbox. Minor nuisance though it is, it didn't take me long to get annoyed with this.

A

Anonymous

SSwain:

Course you can always plug the xbox component lead straight into the TV, but then you need to switch the amp and the TV to the component source to use the xbox. Minor nuisance though it is, it didn't take me long to get annoyed with this.

Thinking about it, that's assuming the TV will automatically switch between HDMI and component, I'm not sure mine does. I never got the extra component cable in the end, I'm opting for the xbox elite which is HDMI anyway.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I have the old 360 (Premium) The comp cable (again so new to this) is the cable with 6 leads, So not the normal red white and yellow, I think there is also a blue green and one other colour - And no my TV doesnt auto switch (which yes gets annoying ! hehe)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nikon82:The comp cable (again so new to this) is the cable with 6 leads, So not the normal red white and yellow, I think there is also a blue green and one other colour
Yup, that's the one I have in my picture so you should have the optical port on the back of the connector as shown. Then at one point, the lead splits into two, one side has the yellow, red and white plugs (which are composite and audio) and the other has red, green and blue plugs (which are the component video cables). So hook the component side into the amp, then the optical into the amp and set the amp up so it recognises these are from the same source.

A

Anonymous

I dont remember seeing an optical port on the back of the connector - I'll check when I get home, Mine is the 1st gen of the system (The one that tends to crash and burn.. Hasn't happened to mine yet....) If it doesnt have the port will the component be ok for audio and video ? (im guessing optical is just better ?)

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, you can use the red and white leads from the red, white and yellow half of the split cable to get audio (so you would have the red, green and blue leads all plugged into the component input, then the red and white leads from the other half plugged into an RCA phono input, with the yellow cable just doing nothing). This will give you stereo, but not 5.1 sound from the Xbox (which is what you want really for the atmospheric games like Dead Space and the like).
My Xbox is pretty old as well and the lead has the optical port so I'm pretty sure it should be there as it is in the pic.

A

Anonymous

I dont remember seeing one but its been awhile since ive looked ! .. I'll have a check tonight

Thanks again for all your help !

A

Anonymous

Had a look last night and there is an Optical port on my cable so thats good,

Is there any diff when it comes to optical cables (e.g does price relate to quality)?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends on your own opinions on these things - I believe you're better off getting a decent cable compared to a freebie one, but some will tell you it's not worth it. With something like the Xbox, I wouldn't spend more than £20-£30, QED make some good ones in my opinion, but you can always look at the reviews on this site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts