setup advice

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi All. Im just about to buy a new TV (or my first TV actually) and apart from the troubles of deciding which one i'm also now thinking what should i do about sound as every new TV ive heard recently sound pretty poor. I had considered getting a soundbar after the chap in the TV shop showing me one for £200 which seemed pretty good. After reading on here and elsewhere on the internet im now wondering if a soundbar is the best option or if there is some way i can combine this with a hifi setup? so, the main question is - can the same amp/receiver and speaker system be used for both TV and hifi?

in terms of what i have already, im using a vintage yahama amp with vintage b&w speakers and also have a pair of Eltax Silverstone floorstanders which ive recently learnt are completely out of synch with the 30w per channel amp at 200w so im open to upgrading somewhere. I also want to get some kind of hifi setup in my kitchen so in an ideal world if i can keep the vintage stuff together in the kitchen and make use of the Eltax in the TV room with a new amp? and then maybe replace these in the future. Am i on the right track here or would i be better getting proper surround sound speakers and receiver setup or soundbar for the living room? the main appeal of the soundbar is the all-in-one option with a wireless sub but im equally concerned about having something good to listen to music through. Will using what i have currently be an improvement over the tv speakers?

budgetwise im probably looking at £200 (300 tops) and for this id expect to get either the all in one soundbar or a new receiver that i can pair with the Eltax that will be suitable for connecting up to the TV. At some point in the future id then replace the speakers (hopefully for something a bit smaller that will fit better next to the TV).

Apologies in advance if these are stupid questions but i find the whole home cinema and hifi thing a bit confusing

John Duncan

I htink I would probably get a £200 receiver from Richer SOunds from the likes of Yamaha, Pioneer or Onkyo and pair it with the Eltaxes until you have the opportunity to upgrade. You can add a pair of very cheap rear speakers to give you a semblance of surround.

What's your TV model/setup? Bluray player/Sky/cable etc or just TV?

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
to be honest im not that bothered about surround sound, simply ive just never been impressed with the speakers in the newer TVs, hence why i was considering a soundbar. The bit that was and is confusing me is the receiver - are there different types for music and for home cinema? i was previously recommended on the hifi group the yamaha AS5000 which ticked all the boxes in terms of good reviews, suitable power to match the speakers, reasonably price etc. but am now not sure if that'll be okay to incorporate in a home cinema setup?

I've not actually bought the TV yet as im struggling on what to buy on what is a fairly limited budget - £400ish and am struggling through the debate on whether to get a LED or a plasma. The plasma is winning in terms of the size for the money but im slightly put off by the power consumption and the screen burn issue (if it really is an issue?). I was in a local TV shop the other day and looked at a 42" Samsung plasma and a 42" LED with a fairly substantial £300 price difference. The picture quality was good on both with the LED being noticeably brighter - possibly too bright actually to the point of being unnatural.

I've got a Virgin tivo box being installed in a few weeks time and will be connecting my Xbox for occasional use and will be getting a cheapish blueray player at some point in the near future. For now my main concern is getting a decent TV and sound system setup capable for listening to both music and the TV.

In the past when ive connected my TV to my speakers it's always sounded quite good quality but possibly a little strong for regular TV use if that makes sense? im not sure if thats just my older speaker system or just something i'd need to get used to? There's also the issue of speaker placement as trying to find space for a 42" or 46" screen and two floor standers right next to it may prove difficult - another selling point for the soundbar

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If there's an issue with space, buy the TV first - you have to decide where you will place it. Once it is installed it is much easier to see what else will fit. If you cannot fit the floorstanders either side then this may force your hand anyway. If you shoe-horn floorstanders into a tight space they may sound awful so this is also a factor. If they will fit, then buy a AVR (receiver). To clarify, a receiver is just an amplifier that has more features - in particular the ability to split the sound into 5.1/7.1 etc - ie surround sound. It will still allow you to play music in 2 channel to your floor-standers. But, if you can fit the floor-standers and a receiver, we would all recommend you eventually get a center speaker as this will give you much clearer and focused dialogue.

If you cannot fit the floor standers next to the TV, you need to decide where you else you can place the floorstanders to listen to music. If this is a problem, can you save up for 'book-shelf' speakers that can be wall or shelf mounted either side of the TV. Buying new book-shelf speakers can be matched with a similar model/make center speaker. If not, then your obvious option may then be the soundbar.

So your options are either TV + soundbar + music elswhere, or TV + receiver + L & R front speakers + a center speaker later

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts