Help Please

Saint12661

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
New System

Hi, new to this site so this is my first post.

I have just purchased a Rega RP3 turntable and it is currently working with my Matantz PM6005 amp, Dali Zensors 1 speakers and Marantz CD6005 CD player.

My question is what to upgrade next, either speakers or amp?

I have a chance to purchase some B&W 685S 2 speakers at a good price and wondered if this would be a good match for the RP3?

Any help on this and amp would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Pete

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the PM6005 to good effect with Focal Aria 906's, the amp should be up for a speaker upgrade. Make sure to audition with tour amp though, I wasn't too fond of the pairing with B&W 685 s2, although that's very personal.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
How much are you looking to spend?

As you've just upgraded your turntable, I'd suggest upgrading the amp (next link in the chain) next. When I was auditioning a new system, I compared the Marantz 6005 (might have been the 6004, it was in January 2013) with the Rega Brio-R. There was no comparison - the Marantz made it sound like a recording - better than but similar to what I'd been used to - whereas the Rega made it sound more like musicians playing in my room. I also heard a lot more detail - even instruments - for the first time. It was the first time I realise what is the point of spending a lot on hi-fi - I'd only heard a small percentage of what is contained in the grooves of the records I'd been listening to. I ended up buying the system below.

See if you can audition the two side-by-side, and see what you think.

Speakers would be another option, especially if you've got the chance of a bargain. I can't comment on that model as I don't know it. The RP3 can cope with cartridges/amps/speakers that are more expensive than it, though. The RX6 Silvers I use cost £800, and sound fantastic along with the RP3 and Brio-R.

Saint12661 said:
New System

Hi, new to this site so this is my first post.

I have just purchased a Rega RP3 turntable and it is currently working with my Matantz PM6005 amp, Dali Zensors 1 speakers and Marantz CD6005 CD player.

My question is what to upgrade next, either speakers or amp?

I have a chance to purchase some B&W 685S 2 speakers at a good price and wondered if this would be a good match for the RP3?

Any help on this and amp would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Pete

Welcome Pete.

Apologies now for my reply but really when it comes to speakers you shouldn't be asking if they match your turntable as this is nonsense, you have to ask yourself will they work well in my listening room, and only you can answer that.

As ever with speakers you have to go and audition and, if at all possible, borrow to audition in your own home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts