Help please! Have I chosen the right setup? HELP CONNECTING TO LAPTOP?

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I've been looking around all day really for a system that I can use mainly with my MacBook Pro, and also occassionally with my iPod/CD's. What seems to be standing out is the Dali Zensor 1's with the Denon DM39. I was just really wondering if this would be suitable? But, my main question is how would I hook this up to play from my MacBook?

Thanks in advance for any help!

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Will I need Aux inputs/outputs to connect to a laptop? I've just looked at my brothers set up and that is how he connects his amp to his laptop, is that the only way?

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you've chosen well - for the price they're both excellent bits of kit.

Connecting the Macbook/Ipod can be done via the USB port on the front, or other more complex ways involving DACs etc, which might get you better quality sound, but you'll have to ask someone else about that because I'm somewhat out of the whole digital age...!

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I'd be fine with hooking up the iPod through the USB port, but seeing as the majority of my listening will be done from my MacBook, it would seem like a waste just to use the USB port if that's not the best way!

If anyone has any advice on the best way to do this (and whether indeed the Denon is the best bit of kit for this) it would be hugely appreciated, because I'm a bit stumped right now!

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention that I do have an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), so I'm wondering if that could be used in this?

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
That really doesn't mean a whole lot to me! (thanks for taking the time to respond though). Is the only way to do it via a DAC?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
warman42 said:
That really doesn't mean a whole lot to me! (thanks for taking the time to respond though). Is the only way to do it via a DAC?

Sorry fella!

Ok does the Denon have an optical inout? If so then great you can use an optical calbe straight from your Mac Book pro to the Denon.

If the Denon does not have an optical input, but has a spare line level input then you get a 3.5>2 rca jack cable , however this will mean you will utilise the Macs DAC which will be ok

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The specs for the rear of the Denon say this:

REAR:
Stereo speaker outputs (via 4mm banana plug/binding posts)
Subwoofer out (for connection to subwoofer via RCA/phono)
Stereo line in (for connecting additional external equipment, via 2 x RCA/phono)
Optical digital audio in (for connection of TVs and other devices with an optical output, via toslink)
DAB/FM antenna socket

On the pictures of the rear of it, the 'digital in' is a sort of (basically) square shape (http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10642-denon-dm39dab-cddabdabfmusb-micro-system.aspx - as you can see on this link), but then when I search 'optical cable' etc, I can't seem to find one with the right connectors?

Sorry for not really knowing anything about this!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
warman42 said:
The specs for the rear of the Denon say this:

REAR:
Stereo speaker outputs (via 4mm banana plug/binding posts)
Subwoofer out (for connection to subwoofer via RCA/phono)
Stereo line in (for connecting additional external equipment, via 2 x RCA/phono)
Optical digital audio in (for connection of TVs and other devices with an optical output, via toslink)
DAB/FM antenna socket

On the pictures of the rear of it, the 'digital in' is a sort of (basically) square shape (http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10642-denon-dm39dab-cddabdabfmusb-micro-system.aspx - as you can see on this link), but then when I search 'optical cable' etc, I can't seem to find one with the right connectors?

Sorry for not really knowing anything about this!

Great you can connect your mac book directly to the Denon, this will mean the Denons DAC will be used - all you need is TOSlink / Optical cable with 3.5mm adapter that uses the mac book headphone socket

the headphone socket doubles as an optical output too

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your help, appreciate it! So just to clarify, a cable like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Install-Series-Mini-Toslink-Optical/dp/B003NT7IRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386626243&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+toslink+to+toslink is all I'd need? Going from the headphone socket of my Mac to 'Digital In' on the Denon?

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Got worried for a second there - I do have a few albums in FLAC, but thought it didn't play mp3!

Thanks a lot for all your help, it's appreciated

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
warman42 said:
Are you saying that just for the purpose of sound quality or because that is what the cable is designed for?

yes! It's all about the source first. So you want to make sure you have the best quality of audio to start with. Use ITunes to rip your CDs in either AIFF or ALAC file format. (AAC and MP3 are compressed formats that throw away audio information to create a smaller file size)

You can still play other formats like MP3 but the sound quality won't be as good. Will it be good enough, only you can decided that.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If you want to play your tunes wirelessly from your laptop to your hifi you could do a hell of a lot worse than a HP Audio Transmitter.

An absolute steal from Amazon at 26 GBP. Sounds rather good plus no DAC and no wires to trip over

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
warman42 said:
Forgot to mention that I do have an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), so I'm wondering if that could be used in this?

yes - use this. Ignore the other advice for the moment. Plug your mac in to the focusrite, then take the analogue out from the back of the focusrite into your amp, as you would any other bit of hifi kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts