Help please, connecting an old DVD player to a new AV receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know how I might connect an old Sony DVP-NS705V DVD player to new AV receiver? I'm finally getting around to purchasing an AV receiver (probably something like a Yamaha 863, Pioneer LX51 or Denon 2309), but didn't really want to splash out on a new DVD or BD player at present.

My current player has SCART, S-Video, Line Out L/R, 5.1Ch Output coaxial and optical outputs (you'd think that lot would have all the bases covered wouldn't you, probably did when I bought it). Will I have to connect video to my TV using the SCART (or S-Video, but apparently SCART is better quality) and my audio using probably the optical for best quality? Will I suffer from lip-sync issues? I guess there isn't anyway of connecting the video through the receiver and upscaling the image is there?

Would I be better off ditching my current DVD player and buying a new DVD or BD at the same time?

Thanks for you help.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Best bet with your older DVD player would be hooking it up to the TV via RGB Scart and to the amp using digital coaxial (or optical if this is easier for you). There might be lip sync issues, but I didn't get too many of these in my older setup which was like this.

Of course if you have the budget, doubtless that buying one of the new decent Blu-Ray players (have a look at the reviews on this site) will improve the picture from DVDs, and even more so from Blu-Rays of course as you would expect. If you are buying a new AV receiver with an HDMI input which can accept the HD audio formats, you will also massively benefit from the upgraded HD audio on Blu-Rays through this setup.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
that's how my old system was set up - sony CRT, Sony DVD, Pioneer amp, and there was a very slight but extemely occasional lip sync issue. If you press stop on the dvd and play again, it generally righted itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts