Help Needed with Connectivity Issue – Only One Speaker Playing

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm facing a connectivity issue with my setup, and I'm struggling to pinpoint which component might be causing the problem. Here’s my current setup:

• Turntable: Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1900
  • Speakers: JBL L46
  • DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC 2
  • Amplifier: Cambridge Audio Azur 851A
  • Phono Stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box MM
To connect my Beogram 1900 to the phono stage and then to the amplifier, I had to use a 5-pin DIN to RCA adapter. I bought this adapter:

5-pin DIN to RCA Adapter

The problem is that when everything is connected, I only get sound from one speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this, or how I could troubleshoot it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I presume you have no other sources connected? If you did and were getting sound through both channels that would eliminate a lot. Assuming you are only using the TT, what happens if you swap the speakers cables over at the amp end only? If the problem switches side, it's with the cable/speaker on one side, but if it stays as is you know it's upwind. Probably unlikely to be a speaker issue though - you'd expect one driver to go if so, but not both.

I think you'd need another source to get further in troubleshooting with any ease - if a CD or tuner plays OK, it's almost certainly upwind of the amp.

Vincent Kars

The flow is
Beogram > Adapter > Phono > Amp.
Simply swap the RCA of the adapter. If the sound moves to the other channel, either the wiring of the adapter or the Beo is defect.
If the same channel remains silent, swap the RCA on the amp. If the sound moves to the other channel, then phono stage is defective.

Reactions: Gray

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
Here’s a refined version for the forum:

Subject: Only One Speaker Playing with Turntable on Azur 851A
Hi Ethics Gradient,
Thanks for your response!
I have another source set up as MacBook -> DAC -> Amp, and I can hear perfectly from both speakers on all inputs (1-7). The issue of hearing only one speaker happens exclusively with the turntable.
Previously, I used a different amplifier with the same turntable setup, and everything worked fine. The changes I’ve made are:
  • New amplifier (Cambridge Audio Azur 851A, which has no phono stage)
  • New phono stage
  • New DIN to RCA adapter for the turntable connection
When I swap the red and white RCA connections, the sound shifts to the other speaker, so I suspect it might be related to settings on the Azur, which I’m still getting used to. However, I’m not sure where the fault lies.
Any further recommendations would be much appreciated!
Thanks again!

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
The flow is
Beogram > Adapter > Phono > Amp.
Simply swap the RCA of the adapter. If the sound moves to the other channel, either the wiring of the adapter or the Beo is defect.
If the same channel remains silent, swap the RCA on the amp. If the sound moves to the other channel, then phono stage is defective.
hello vincent,
thank you for your help!

the sounds moving to the other speaker when i swap the RCAs, i will try to get another phono stage to check if this is the problem

Fandango Andy

I switched the RCAs adapter to phono stage
Now do the same with the cable between the amp and the phono stage to double check the issue isn't with the amp, phono stage or that cable.

Then you are down to the adaptor or the turntable.

Fist check to make sure there no loose wires on the cartridge.

After that you either need to borrow a turntable, or buy/borrow a new RCA adapter cable.

Good luck

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
It might suggest the wiring in that five pin plug is incorrect for the Beogram.
Thank you AI ears,

I have the same feeling to be honest, even though they do write the beogram 1900 in the list of those it supports and in addition they specify and say that it works for both, 5/7 pin DIN.

I still think its the case.

do you mind sending any link to buy any other adopter which is more reliable?

Thank you in advance

Maor

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
Now do the same with the cable between the amp and the phono stage to double check the issue isn't with the amp, phono stage or that cable.

Then you are down to the adaptor or the turntable.

Fist check to make sure there no loose wires on the cartridge.

After that you either need to borrow a turntable, or buy/borrow a new RCA adapter cable.

Good luck
Hey Andy,

Thank you for your Help!

So i just did and the sound switched to the other speaker even when i changed the RCA that goes to the amp.
no loose wires.

I will try to get another phono stage just to make sure that the problem isn't that.
if it's not I will have to get a new adapter and if its not then I will sadly be going for the TT.
though the TT was working with another amp that didn't need a Phono stage so i guess and hope its still good.

Do you have any recommendations for a nice and reliable Female 5 DIN to 2 Male RCA adapter? or maybe just a reliable website where I can find it?

Thank you for everything !

Best,
Maor

Fandango Andy

Hey Andy,

Thank you for your Help!

So i just did and the sound switched to the other speaker even when i changed the RCA that goes to the amp.
no loose wires.

I will try to get another phono stage just to make sure that the problem isn't that.
if it's not I will have to get a new adapter and if its not then I will sadly be going for the TT.
though the TT was working with another amp that didn't need a Phono stage so i guess and hope its still good.

Do you have any recommendations for a nice and reliable Female 5 DIN to 2 Male RCA adapter? or maybe just a reliable website where I can find it?

Thank you for everything !

Best,
Maor
No, sorry. Never had any need for one. A quick Google, amazon and ebay have lots. Unless you get a recommendation from someone who has one the best I can suggest is read the feedback on amazon/ebay to look for comments saying they work, or don't work.

I would also post a question in the turntable lp section asking people with Bang & Olufsen Beogram what adapters they have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts