Help needed with a Marantz 44SE amplifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
That's enough to confuse me for now lol *crazy* now the strangest thing ... Before packing it all back up and sending it back ... I switch it all back on and swap the leads to the tuner sockets.... It worked both speakers worked perfect .... I then swapped leads back to cd sockets ... It works !! Both speakers fine ...... Sooooo what do I do now???? And I though this renewed music passion was going to be easy hahah*music2*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thats the deal with cold solder joints. Sometimes they transfer signal and sometimes they don't. If you are sure it's not the cables that do the break-up, maybe its smarter to return it.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir ... I assume the "journey" it had upset the joints and at the moment it's been stood and is making connection ... But it could just as easy loose that connection again ... *unknw*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In modern amplifier design there is usually little or no gain on the line inputs until you reach the power amplifier stage. The high output of CD players takes the place of this, in fact most CD players will drive most amplifiers well beyond their limits. (Reference other recent threads).

So in effect, you are 'turning down' the CD player rather than 'turning up the amplifier' hence the reverse numbers, 0db is maximum output, but zero attenuation, it's a conceptual thing.

As Vlad said, don't fret it, just use the amp as normal.

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
With much plugging and unplugging stress can be applied to the soldered joints to the rear of input sockets where they pass through the pcb. If the Cd output sockets on the cd player are soldered to the main pcb or a sub panel you may find a dry joint around the central pin, If the screening was open circuit it would simply use the earth return on the other channel so it will be the central pin of the phono socket.

With lack of use contacts can tarnish and gather dirt and dust. Try wiggling/slightly turning the phono plug connected to the suspect channel. If the signal comes and goes you have found your problem. Resolder the pin if necessary or treat the socket with Servisol contact cleaner (sparingly), which can be acieved without removing the cover if this worries you.

Leads often go open circuit near the point where they leave the plug but I believe you have eliminated this possibility by swapping leads.

My money is on the output socket on the cd player.

The dB scale on the vol pot is, as others have said, of no consequence. Human hearing is logarithmic in terms of volume perception and the db scale is a logarithmic one based on logs to base 10. It is the measure of the ratio of the signal referred to an arbitrary voltage, in this case probably the max voltage that the power amp stage can take before it is going flat out. To the user it has no meaning but rather than having a linear scale, by using a logarithmic one, equal decrements in numbers will correspond with equal amounts of volume increase perceived.

Put simply don't worry about it!!

rgds

Jeremy

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
In modern amplifier design there is usually little or no gain on the line inputs until you reach the power amplifier stage. The high output of CD players takes the place of this, in fact most CD players will drive most amplifiers well beyond their limits. (Reference other recent threads).

Almost all mass made amplifiers will have arround 10dB gain in the preamp and the rest 20-30dB gain is from the power amp. There is exotica kit out there with passive attenuation, with no preamp gain, but rare.

Modern amplifiers have even increased sensitivity from the typical 700mV to 250mV. That means through the CD input it only takes 250mV to reach absolute maximum power and enter clipping onwards. And a typical CDP will push 2100mV. And there are 4V outputing CDPs! Just insane. No wonder people go for vinyl these days.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

Almost all mass made amplifiers will have arround 10dB gain in the preamp and the rest 20-30dB gain is from the power amp. There is exotica kit out there with passive attenuation, with no preamp gain, but rare.

Modern amplifiers have even increased sensitivity from the typical 700mV to 250mV. That means through the CD input it only takes 250mV to reach absolute maximum power and enter clipping onwards. And a typical CDP will push 2100mV. And there are 4V outputing CDPs! Just insane. No wonder people go for vinyl these days.

As I am sure you are aware by now I take little interest in the mass market so I am surprised that they still provide gain, given as you point out, the stupidly high levels from CD players and dacs.

I must admit I was basing my comments on slightly more sophisticated (though by no means expensive or exotic) amplifiers which were often built as I describe. Given these levels and the simplicity of building a power amp (section) with a sensitivity around half a volt, I wonder why they bother.....*unknw*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There is two types of gear:

1) to impress the ignorant consumer

2) proudly engineered and to "whom it may concern"

I plan to switch from option 1 to option 2 before I hit 40.

Vladimir said:
There is two types of gear:

1) to impress the ignorant consumer

2) proudly engineered and to "whom it may concern"

I plan to switch from option 1 to option 2 before I hit 40.

Good on you. Been there, done that, and I'm well past 40.
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts