help needed urgently!!! denon avr2310 and sky hd not connecting!

A

Anonymous

sorry comes up on tv saying display does not support hdcp?

A

Anonymous

display on tv is as sky text would be, had sound once but ive been turning on off, removing cables a hundred times, sky is connected to reciever via cambridge audio hdmi cable which worked fine first time with my onkyo ive just replaced

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, my fault for not being clearer. What is the TV?

And do you have other sources connected through the amp via HDMI - eg Blu-ray or DVD player - and do they work correctly?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK not aware of any known problems with this TV and the Denon receiver. Do you have other HDMI sources plugged into the amp, and do they work through to the TV OK?

Things to check:

1) Is the receiver's HDMI monitor output turned on? Is the HDMI output from the receiver actually plugged into the monitor output? (Yes, I know, but I've spent ages on here trying to solve problems like this only to have the questioner discover it wasn't!)

2) Are all the HDMI cable plugs properly seated in their sockets, and is there any possibility any of them could have been damaged in the switchover? HDMI connections are notoriously fragile and flaky.

3) Is HDMI control turned off on all components - Sky box, receiver, TV - ?

4) Have you tried connecting to a different HDMI input on the TV, if it has one?

5) Were any of the components switched on when you made the cable switches? That can also prevent handshaking happening...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, three hours later and no response, so either the problem is solved or the TV or amp has gone out of the window and down five floors into the swimming pool...

A

Anonymous

sorry andrew i appreciate your advise and ive been trying and trying and trying but no useso yeah its been chucked out the window! just kidding! the bue ray player works fine just not sky its ridiculous wish i never bothered now!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I suggest a call to Denon to find out if there are any known issues with this receiver with Sky, not that we encountered them with the less expensive model, or between the receiver and the TV. As I said, this whole HDMI thing is a bit of a minefield...

The workaround, if you have one of the Sky+HD boxes with component video output - not all models have it -, would be to run component from the Sky box to the Denon, and let the amp upconvert it and squirt it out via HDMI to the TV.

If it's any consolation, I had the same problem when the Sky engineer tried to replace my dying Thomson Sky+HD box with a Samsung the other week: as soon as it was connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI, it just locked up completely.

I ended up with an Amstrad box instead...

A

Anonymous

ok thankyou i'll try give denon a call first, then i'll give sevenoaks another call and they can come out and sort it! if not i'll get my money back. i just find it crazy all this technology and still you get problems when its only one cable per machine. saying that i did watch knowing on blue ray last night and the 2310 was excellent and worked so well with my 2500BT. i dunno rock and hard place come to mind!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the same problem although it's nature has changed over the course of 24 hours. After first connecting the 2310 to the Sky box, sky reported the hdcp error. I don't know what I did, (probably nothing), but after checking that my PS3 was working correctly I switched back to Sky and all seemed well.

I now have an intermittant problem in that occasionally the Sky box freezes and displays the error for a few seconds before returning to normal operations, (about once every 30mins or so,but it isn't constant). It always does this when I use or return from using the Sky guide.

Needless to say I don't have the same issues when Sky is connected to my TV screen using the same HDMI cable, (something that has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years).

I'm pretty confident that it's the receiver, which is a real shame because it certainly breaths new life into my rather ageing Mission speakers.

I'd be very interested in the reponse you got from Denon.

Thanks and Regards

Nigel

A

Anonymous

yep, I'm having the exact same issue, very frustrating!

If it is a case of not being able to have the amp do the HDMI switching, then what is the point... will be looking at taking this amp back if Denon don't come up with some answers.

A

Anonymous

Shanecerba / Whitwood, have you tried connecting Sky HD to HDMI 1? Looking on another forum, I believe this is a fix suggested by Denon, apparently due to more direct circuitry.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - yes This is also the advice I got back from Denon.

Although I thought I tried this earlier I nave now connected to HDMI 1 and all seems fine.

Have run like this for a couple of days without issue so it looks like the problem is solved.

Nigel

A

Anonymous

Having replaced my entire system earlier this week which included the Denon AVR2310 and having run into the same issue as reported by others on this thread with Sky HD not functioning because of the HDCP issue and having had a frustrating conversation with Sky, I ended up speaking to Denon directly.

The issue does appear to be to do with the Thompson Sky HD box and they advised that I initially ensure that the firmware is up to date. However, I was not really happy with having to pay for a £65 call out for an engineer to look at the issue when there did not appear to be any guarantee that the issue would be resolved or that Sky would replace the box for another model. That said I was provided with some invaluable advice being from Denon that resolved the issue.

Essentially (using non-technical jargon) there are two HDMI boards. The Cable/Sat HDMI is on one board and I was advised to move the HDMI cable coming from the Sky HD box from this connection to a HDMI connection on the other board (I used the HDP connection as the DVD was taking my Sony Bu Ray player). This immediately solved the issue. I appreciate that this is not the "perfect" solution but a satisfactory one.

TRENDING THREADS