Help needed - unhappy with Arcam sound.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Killers will sound better with the 192 but the 92 has a lot to offer if you like laid-back. Apart from that a similar amount of detail. I sold my 92 recently for £275 on eBay but I think I was lucky.

ÿ

floydfan

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks i think i'll stick with the CD92, i am hoping to demmo the PMC DB1i's at the week end - I was a rocker in my younger days and still enjoy Zep / Deep Purple / Ac/Dc / Who Etc at a deafening volume only just not as often, i listen to more laid back stuff now and want to hear everything on a cd.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
floydfan: i listen to more laid back stuff now and want to hear everything on a cd.

I know exactly what you mean, hear everything.

When I started this hobby I always wanted to hear just that, everything on the disc! many years and many rigs pass by, I am now rather have the feeling or the sense of being there with the band!

I post this comment once and someone answer that I don't know how to listen to HiFi...the fact is I really rather listen to music.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
floydfan:
Thanks for info Joel- I do have a thick rug in the room so not an issue there, i'll bear the red wine in mind though nice with Madeleine Peyroux. Happy with the sound of floyd etc these albums are not an issue its stuff like the killers,and more modern albums they just sound naff. I really think i need better quality speakers and maybe a demmo of CD192 or maybe i'm getting fussier as i get older. My pal has really top notch gear way out of my price bracket and he binned the majority of his CD's and changed his taste to Jazz - (niiiice) but for me thats over the top

Mick

The Killers' albums- Sam's Town and Hot Fuzz will challenge most systems (Sawdust is a fair bit better). The compression is diabolical.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
floydfan:Thanks i think i'll stick with the CD92, i am hoping to demmo the PMC DB1i's at the week end - I was a rocker in my younger days and still enjoy Zep / Deep Purple / Ac/Dc / Who Etc at a deafening volume only just not as often, i listen to more laid back stuff now and want to hear everything on a cd.

Yes, I would try the PMCs first and foremost. A cd192 is worth considering for rock as I said, and at £400, and if you can sell your 92 for £250+ then it's worth doing for a new machine with 2 year warranty.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
The Killers will sound better with the 192 but the 92 has a lot to offer if you like laid-back. Apart from that a similar amount of detail. I sold my 92 recently for £275 on eBay but I think I was lucky.

ÿ

Totally agree with that. CD93 I had was warm - CD192 also shocked me in it's treatment initially, to the point I thought it was bright, which it isn't, it's just a great sounding CD worthy of 5 stars in any mag.

I sold my CD93 for £239 and got my CD192 BNIB for £325 - no brainer.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:JoelSim:

ÿ

Totally agree with that. CD93 I had was warm - CD192 also shocked me in it's treatment initially, to the point I thought it was bright, which it isn't, it's just a great sounding CD worthy of 5 stars in any mag.I sold my CD93 for £239 and got my CD192 BNIB for £325 - no brainer.

Exactly what I thought at first. Used to it now, and I'm sure a few hard edges have gone now it;s had some playing time.ÿ

floydfan

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Got the PMC's on Demmo and boy are they good, whole new life to my cd collection, superb tight bass & midrange - bye bye Quads hello pmc's.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
floydfan:Got the PMC's on Demmo and boy are they good, whole new life to my cd collection, superb tightÿbass & midrange - bye bye Quads hello pmc's.

ÿ

Good. And the hard edges gone?

ÿ

floydfan

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Without a doubt - vocals are natural - i'm actully hearing sounds that i never heard before, i used my mates DULCET REFERENCE 3A speakers (£1700) and for me the pmc's blew them away. One question though - A lot of cd's i listen to i hear all the S's in the vocals if thats the way to describe it - like when you would describle the sound of a snake, i think it's probably natural and my pal never seems to notice it as much as me, any ideas?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
floydfan:Without a doubt - vocals are natural - i'm actully hearing sounds that i never heard before, i used my mates DULCET REFERENCE 3A speakers (£1700) and for me the pmc's blew them away.ÿ One question though - A lot of cd's i listen to i hear all the S's in the vocalsÿif thats the way to describe it - like when you would describle the sound of a snake, i think it's probably natural and my pal never seems to notice it as much as me, any ideas?

Yes there is a little sibilance on mine too sometimes

ÿ

floydfan

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - Guess i'll just have to put up with it - after all my S's always seem to be pronounced to myself when i speak and if it's on the recording then no amount of cable changes will grt rid of it

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No, sibilance should never be a issue unless the recording is diabolical. If well matched, treble (lower treble in case of sibilance) should integrate smoothly. You really should not be aware that the tweeters are working at all. The PMC's have excellent integration and high frequency behavior so the culprit is somewhere else.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Stirring the old human waste again JD?
emotion-2.gif

I have'nt had a prob with mine and used it between tuner amp on my previous kit which was revealing to say the least.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Gotham cables?

I laughed out LOUDLY, when I read that
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts