Help needed: DVD, TV and amplifier question.

Since buying the LG TV I've ditched the VCR and just use the DVD player (Sony GX300). I've tried to hook the player through the TV so the hi-fi can be played. However, since the configuration the hi-fi can only be played (on the TV) if the DVD player is switched on.

The phono is plugged into the component audio on the DVD and plugged directly into the TV. There is another audio section which is plugged into the amp. I've tried fiddling with it off and on during the day to no avail.

Is there anyway of by-passing the DVD player?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You're going to have to explain a bit more clearly exactly what input is plugged into what output, as it's not clear. At the moment I'm sitting here thinking "why does he want to play his hi-fi through his TV?".

The_Lhc said:
You're going to have to explain a bit more clearly exactly what input is plugged into what output, as it's not clear. At the moment I'm sitting here thinking "why does he want to play his hi-fi through his TV?".

Thought this question would be asked...:)

Because I play a lot of Freeview radio, it's an extra bonus to crank the amp. That could be my 'tag word': Crank the amp. Perhaps not.

Right, I've interconnects coming from the aux of the amp and they go into the DVD audio 'Out'. There is also another pair of interconnects which goes from the TV to another set of audio or component. I have two aerial coax from the main aerial to the DVD 'in' and another DVD 'out' to the TV.

Hope that's a bit clearer?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The_Lhc said:

Because I play a lot of Freeview radio, it's an extra bonus to crank the amp.
Right, so you actually mean you want to play the TV through the hi-fi? That makes sense.

Right, I've interconnects coming from the aux of the amp and they go into the DVD audio 'Out'.
Ok so that's the DVD sound sorted.
There is also another pair of interconnects which goes from the TV to another set of audio or component.
Another set on what, the hi-fi?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your Sony GX300 is actually a DVD recorder (not player as you stated).

You said...

"I have two aerial coax from the main aerial to the DVD 'in' and another DVD 'out' to the TV."

Does the Sony GX300 DVD recorder have digital Freeview tuner built in, or only an analogue TV tuner?

If it doesn't have a built-in Freeview tuner then you may as well run your main aerial co-ax straight into the TV (given that analogue TV is all switched off now). Connect the DVD recorder to the TV with Scart.

As for Freeview radio, that will have to come from your LG TV. (Either via RCA to the amp or - if the LG doesn't have RCA audio output - then from it's optical digital audio output to a DAC attached to your amp*.)

Your TV is very new, so I assume it at least has RCA or an optical digital output (or both).

*I seem to remember you had a DacMagic.

The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
The_Lhc said:

Right, so you actually mean you want to play the TV through the hi-fi? That makes sense.
Right, I've interconnects coming from the aux of the amp and they go into the DVD audio 'Out'.
There is also another pair of interconnects which goes from the TV to another set of audio or component.

(Another set) No, from the TV to the DVD player. So there's interconnects going from amp to DVD and another set of interconnects going from DVD to TV.

I find this irritating because when I had the VCR and DVD player I could play the (TV) freeview through the amp without switching the DVD or VCR 'ON'

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
(Another set) No, from the TV to the DVD player. So there's interconnects going from amp to DVD and another set of interconnects going from DVD to TV.

I find this irritating because when I had the VCR and DVD player I could play the (TV) freeview through the amp without switching the DVD or VCR 'ON'

I would have thought the answer was obvious then, send the audio output from the TV straight to the hi-fi?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have checked the LG specs (and the instructions) for the 32LS5600 and there is no RCA audio output connection listed. (It only has RCA connections for component video/audio input.)

However, there is an optical digital audio out.

So it will need to be a connection from the TV to a DAC.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
The_Lhc said:

Just a word on notation, as I find the way you're expressing this confusing and it makes it harder to help. You say there's interconnects 'from amp to DVD' but the signal is going *from* the DVDR to the amp, so it makes more sense to say it that way.

You should have DVDR -> TV -> amp. This will mean anything playing on the tv goes to your speakers, be it a DVD, tv or freeview radio. Don't know your DVDR so not sure of the connection to the tv. If the tv only has optical out you need TV ->optical -> DAC -> RCA -> amp. Either use your existing dac or something like the fiio you can see in my bedroom setup.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Still not sure I've worked out what you're trying to do, but does the TV have a headphone socket?

The main thing is that PP wants to play Freeview radio through his hi-fi.

His new LG TV only has digital audio out (no RCA analogue from what I can tell) and the old Sony GX300 DVD recorder has no Freeview tuner (so is really only of any use for playing DVDs now).

I get the impression PP still has/had his roof aerial (co-ax) connection plugged into the DVD recorder (aerial in) and had a co-ax 'fly lead' going from the DVD recorder (aerial out) to the TV...

plastic penguin said:
I have two aerial coax from the main aerial to the DVD 'in' and another DVD 'out' to the TV.

This makes no sense now that analogue TV is switched off (and the DVD recorder has no Freeview tuner), so I advised to plug the roof aerial lead straight into the TV and just connect the DVD recorder to the new telly with SCART for playing DVDs. (The old DVD recorder has no HDMI.)

That just leaves the matter of audio out from the TV (for PP to enjoy Freeview radio through the hi-fi).

The new LG television has no RCA analogue audio output, so it will have to be a digital optical connection from the TV to a DAC connected to the hi-fi.

I really don't think a headphone minijack -> stereo RCA connection is going to be very good quality in comparison to a digital optical connection to a DAC.

daveh75

If the TV only has an Optical out, then a scart adapter should do the trick to get analogue audio from the TV (most TVs have at least one scart port that doubles as an output)

41KZeZMcVAL.jpg

Though i think PP needs to clarify, exactly how everything's connected (ie which outputs are connected to which inputs of each bit of kit)

as the op is confusing...

I no longer have a DAC. Sold that months ago.

We had a new roof aerial fitted last year which I've plugged into the DVDR. Also I've tried bypassing the DVD player and connecting the interconnects direct from the amp to the TV. Nothing. No sound whatsoever. Plus, where the TV/hi-fi is situated the amp needs to be moved out of the rack. Too much of a stretch.

I'll give Richer sounds a call and see what they advise.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
We had a new roof aerial fitted last year which I've plugged into the DVDR.

Why? (The DVD-R - according to it's intructions - has no built-in Freeview tuner*).

plastic penguin said:
Also I've tried bypassing the DVD player and connecting the interconnects direct from the amp to the TV. Nothing. No sound whatsoever.

Yes, but the RCA audio connections on TV and amp are both inputs. You won't get sound that way.

*Is there a Freeview set-top box floating around somewhere that you failed to mention, or did you use analogue TV on your old CRT TV (and the DVD-R) until the recent 'switch off'?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
connecting the interconnects direct from the amp to the TV

What do you mean?

From the Leemas 'Aux/MP3' connections to the TV 'audio'.

RCA analogue connections? Digital connections?

If you mean RCA analogue connections, then - as I pointed out above - you are connecting audio input (TV) to audio input (amp). Hence no sound.

Unless the LG instructions are wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts