Help needed: DVD, TV and amplifier question.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Another really dull question: Noticed since the new TV has been rigged to the amp that the SQ - via DVD or direct thru the headphone socket - isn't as impressive as the old CRT. So wondering whether a Humax box or a Bluray player will improve matters?

(For the record, I've tried adjusting the TV audio setting: Bass and treble to no avail. It just sounds a little cardboardy. The opposite to the CRT which was really open and trebly).

I have both our Humax and the new BDP-S390 connected with 1 metre HDMIs to the TV. Then, from the TV, I use the optical digital (stereo) output to the optical digital input (AUX4) on the back of the M-CR603.

So, basically, the sound from the Humax, Blu-rays/DVDs and the TV is all unconverted digital until it gets to the M-CR603's built-in DAC.

On the first day I set-up the Humax, I tried it's optical digital out direct into the M-CR603 (sounded great) and an RCA analogue interconnect from the Blu-ray player to the M-CR603 (sounded lousy).

Lousy (analogue) sound from the Blu-ray player AND the extra set of (RCA) cables required were 'doing my head in'. (I hate cables with a passion!)

So I eliminated the analogue connection and opted to route everything via the TV's optical output. Now it all sounds excellent, whatever is making the noise.

Also, my new Sony BDP-S390 has normal wi-fi built-in (no proprietary £79 Sony dongle or ethernet needed anymore) so I have managed to eliminate another 5 metre ethernet cable :)

In your case you will have to get a seperate DAC to improve the sound significantly.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Another really dull question: Noticed since the new TV has been rigged to the amp that the SQ - via DVD or direct thru the headphone socket - isn't as impressive as the old CRT. So wondering whether a Humax box or a Bluray player will improve matters?

(For the record, I've tried adjusting the TV audio setting: Bass and treble to no avail. It just sounds a little cardboardy. The opposite to the CRT which was really open and trebly).

I have both our Humax and the new BDP-S390 connected with 1 metre HDMIs to the TV. Then, from the TV, I use the optical digital (stereo) output to the optical digital input (AUX4) on the back of the M-CR603.

So, basically, the sound from the Humax, Blu-rays/DVDs and the TV is all unconverted digital until it gets to the M-CR603's built-in DAC.

On the first day I set-up the Humax, I tried it's optical digital out direct into the M-CR603 (sounded great) and an RCA analogue interconnect from the Blu-ray player to the M-CR603 (sounded lousy).

Lousy (analogue) sound from the Blu-ray player AND the extra set of (RCA) cables required were 'doing my head in'. (I hate cables with a passion!)

So I eliminated the analogue connection and opted to route everything via the TV's optical output. Now it all sounds excellent, whatever is making the noise.

Also, my new Sony BDP-S390 has normal wi-fi built-in (no proprietary £79 Sony dongle or ethernet needed anymore) so I have managed to eliminate another 5 metre ethernet cable :)

In your case you will have to get a seperate DAC to improve the sound significantly.

Right, another little AV conundrum: I've seen a Humax Fox jobbie for a good price. As regards a DAC I'm thinking of rDac or Rega quality so I can use with the CDP (further down the line) slowly switch to the dreaded digitech.

So in my circumstances a HD box such as the Humax or a decent DAC? can't do both at once.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts