Help me upgrade - All-in-one blu ray with DAB?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post, so go easy on the newbie!

My wife and I currently have a Denon D-M35 DAB on which we listen to cds and radio. Plugged into this is a Mac Mini with our itunes (about 20,000 tracks) on which we watch also dvds and iplayer through a 720p projector, an Optoma Themescene H65. I've recently upgraded our speakers to Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s, which are on stands and I think I may have been bitten by the hifi bug. We don't have a TV (through choice).

I'd like some suggestions as to an upgrade, preferably sticking to an all-in-one for ease of use by my better half!

My first thought was to replace the D-M35 DAB with an Arcam Solo Mini, based on the excellent reviews it has had.

But then I thought about an Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 (second hand/ex demo), as it has a DAB radio and I can eventually upgrade to having 5 speakers.

Should I be getting Blu Ray, and are there any all-in-ones with Blu Ray and DAB?

Options I'm aware of are the NAD Viso 5 (not Blu Ray, DAB, good review, a bit ugly) and the Denon RBDX1000 (Blu Ray, no DAB, no reviews, better looking)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
An all-in-one wouldn't be an upgrade TBH! Yes, you should be going for Bluray but DAB is becoming more and more of a niche product. I think you should stick to a separate DAB Receiver and connect it to your chosen AV Setup.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
I'm not aware of any all-in-one system with blu-ray & DAB. Convenience aside, won't it have an impact on performance, with all that processing (audio / video / DAB / FM) crammed into one?

Denon Cara is an option, but again, no DAB.

Thanks for your reply bigboss.

I don't know about the performance issue - The Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 has a five star review as does the Naim N-Vi - so I guess not, unless blu-ray makes things worse than DVD.

A

Anonymous

nads said:
why DAB?

what about internet radio? I believe there are BD players have some net radio compatibility. (iPlayer etc...)

Hi nads. Thanks for your reply

I haven't really tried internet radio, but I guess I don't want to be too dependent on my ISP and router - My internet is slow enough as it is!

Regards

nickbm

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4 said:
An all-in-one wouldn't be an upgrade TBH! Yes, you should be going for Bluray but DAB is becoming more and more of a niche product. I think you should stick to a separate DAB Receiver and connect it to your chosen AV Setup.

Hi d4v3pum4 and thanks for your reply.

I think an all-in-one would be an upgrade from my current setup which is an all-in-one with a computer attached!

How is DAB becoming more and more of a niche product? I thought there were plans to switch off the analogue signal...What's the alternative?

Regards

nickbm

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Marantz MER803 has the lot it seems. (Incuding DAB)

£799 list price. (Some places offering it for £699).

Hi chebby. Thanks for your comment and the link.

The MER803 has FM and MW but unfortunately no DAB

Thanks for trying though!

nickbm

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
DAB hasn't exactly taken off. The majority of the country isn't covered and it's still a bit flakey in car. The only reason I ordered it on my current car is I didn't want any buttons on the car that didn't work!! I will admit it's great when it works but it cuts out all the time in town and in the majority of Scotland, you're lucky if you get FM let alone DAB. I very much doubt FM will be turned off as per the alleged schedule.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No DAB? Ok I must have mis-read the specifications. Sorry.

I wouldn't worry too much about DAB. Its pretty useless anyway (even on expensive FM/DAB tuners fed with a good roof aerial).

I have had DAB on two 'all-in-one' systems now (M-CR603 and Arcam Solo-Mini) and DAB was not only completely outclassed by FM, but also outperformed by Freeview radio fed through a DAC. (BBC internet radio also does a slightly better job than DAC especially now it is AAC+ encoded).

DAB is flat and uninvolving (even on 'spoken word' programmes like radio plays).

FM is unlikely to be 'switched off' before the original 31st December 2015 deadline, and may survive a few years longer than that. If that happens then an optical connection to your Freeview source (TV/Bluray or DVD recorder/Sky box/Virgin/Humax PVR or whatever) will be better sounding than DAB.

The Government/Ofcom/BBC etc. are hardly likely to ever fund a migration to DAB+ like some countries enjoy! (Our Government still think DAB and 2meg broadband speeds to every home represent 'the future' so DAB+ is out of the question for at least the next 10 years or so.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts