Help me spend £2,000

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I want to replace my aging CD based system and have up to £2,000 to spend.

I don’t want to simply upgrade like-for-like and, having researched these forums for a while, it is clear that the option exists of going for a more future-proof streaming system.

Some possible options for me would be:

1. A CD based system for my hi-fi room consisting of Marantz CD6004, PM6004 plus speakers (KEF Q300 or Q500?) with Sonos for streaming both in that room and elsewhere in the house.

2. Arcam Solo Neo plus speakers in hi-fi room plus Sonos now or added later for multi-room.

3. Naim Unitiqute plus speakers in hi-fi room plus Sonos now or added later for multi-room.

I’ve heard the Solo Neo with both KEF Q300 and Q500 and was impressed with it paired with the 500s. However, the Naim Unitiqute is offering a dedicated streamer (as opposed to the Solo Neo add-on) and I can use my existing Arcam CD player as a transport in the short-term until I get all my CDs ripped.

I might be limited in my area to auditioning KEF and Rega speakers, so what would be a good match from these manufacturers with the Unitiqute, bearing in mind my budget, the 30W amp and the need to match the “Naim” sound?

If I choose the dedicated streaming option what other options should I look at in my budget?

Many thanks.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For multi room at the affordable end the Sonos is just brilliant.

Add a cheaper but competent CD player.

You can then put both these via a DAC-Amp-Speakers (or find an amp with digital in).

Or there's the obvious speakers which have the DAC & amp built in :) and you add sources as you like.

A

Anonymous

Are you prepared to consider 2nd hand. I got my Cyrus 8xpd qx for £850 for example. You could build a very nice system this way.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
May be this does not really help you. But I just can tell you that I would never buy Arcam anymore. I had a lot of problems with my Arcam Solo. I also had an Arcam rDac which did not work with USB. The sound alone is almost irrelevant to me now. I want a system which is reliable. With Naim and also Sonos I never had any problems.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
calpark46 said:
If I choose the dedicated streaming option what other options should I look at in my budget?
Take a peek at these if you can:

Cambridge Audio SM6 > Mackie HR624mk2 (£1397.95)

Squeezebox Touch > AVI ADM9RS (£1449.99)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
calpark46 said:
I want to replace my aging CD based system and have up to £2,000 to spend.

I don’t want to simply upgrade like-for-like and, having researched these forums for a while, it is clear that the option exists of going for a more future-proof streaming system.

Some possible options for me would be:

1. A CD based system for my hi-fi room consisting of Marantz CD6004, PM6004 plus speakers (KEF Q300 or Q500?) with Sonos for streaming both in that room and elsewhere in the house.

2. Arcam Solo Neo plus speakers in hi-fi room plus Sonos now or added later for multi-room.

3. Naim Unitiqute plus speakers in hi-fi room plus Sonos now or added later for multi-room.

I’ve heard the Solo Neo with both KEF Q300 and Q500 and was impressed with it paired with the 500s. However, the Naim Unitiqute is offering a dedicated streamer (as opposed to the Solo Neo add-on) and I can use my existing Arcam CD player as a transport in the short-term until I get all my CDs ripped.

I might be limited in my area to auditioning KEF and Rega speakers, so what would be a good match from these manufacturers with the Unitiqute, bearing in mind my budget, the 30W amp and the need to match the “Naim” sound?

Many thanks.

I have your option 1 with the Q500s (not the Sonos) and am very pleased with it. What more can I say?

Chris

jjbomber

Richardw42: Or there's the obvious speakers which have the DAC & amp built in :) and you add sources as you like.

Well it took an hour and 8 minutes, but they got here!!!

Keep the Arcam CD, add a UnitiQute, consider a NSA long term for multi-room as you won't need your computer on all the time. Finally, when you do rip your CDs, use Exact Audio Copy (it's free software) to make copies. Does what it says on the tin!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Linn Sneaky (built in 20W amp) with some Rega RS3/5 or Kef R100/300 series speakers.....then upgrade to a better amp later when funds allow, if you wish.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

jjbomber - that's exactly the way I'm leaning, with the Qute, a NAS, etc and looking to audition the Rega RS3s and RS5s.

Cnoevil - I'd be worried about the 20W power and the lack of functionality with the Sneaky DS, and I think my wife might be more than worried about the cost of upgrading the Linn's amplification!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
calpark46 said:
Cnoevil - I'd be worried about the 20W power and the lack of functionality with the Sneaky DS, and I think my wife might be more than worried about the cost of upgrading the Linn's amplification!

The 20W goes further than you might imagine, and I picked speakers that are reasonably easy to drive which help. It makes an excellent though simple 2 channel system, but it does lack flexibility.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i made the mistake of dismissing Rega RS speakers because of looks..........they are fantastic speakers just saving up for some gloss black RS3s so i can use my RS1 for rears in my AV set up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts