Help me select some speakers ?

nick4275

May 16, 2014
Visit site
First post ever ! - Be gentle.

Managed to finally get the house alterations finished and now have head office approval for new kit !

It's a decent sized room (30' x 12')

So I thought the new Samsung UE65H6400 TV - anyone seen one yet ?

A Sony STR-DN1050 receiver amp

Humax DTR1010 1Tb - on You view with a Roku 3 for Netflix, Spotify and Now TV

And now I get stuck - Speakers !

Just can't find anything that ticks the box - They all seem either physically too small, or just too expensive or just plain ugly !

Need to spend probably £600 to £900 - Anyone got any ideas ?

Many thanks

nick4275

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It's going to be 5 speakers.

I'm looking for something modern and of a reasonable physical size.

They will be in a fairly large room so don't want them to look (and feel) lost.

Perhaps Dali Zensor might fit the bill ? - I don't really like the styling of them though - But that's the sort of thing.

Thanks

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Having a long (relatively) thin room, one thing you may need to consider is whether the speakers are rear-ported or not; in other words, how far away from the wall you're able to position them. If they need to be close to the wall, I'd look at front-ported speakers.

You might want to consider the Monitor Audio BX range (particularly the BX2's if stand mounters are your thing). The BX2's are front ported and are sufficiently voluminous to kick out a full bodied sound into large rooms. They're not real wood veneer (that's where the savings are), but they're still very well made. There are floor standers too, along with centre, and either smaller standmounts or bipole/dipoles for surround duties.

I'm not familiar with the Sony's sound signature though, so the usual caveat to "test test test" remains.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Dali Zensor 1s? They wouldn't be a bad bet at all, they're a great all rounder. The styling isn't for some though although I think a more traditional wood finish is available. I would of most likely gone for something similar if I hadn't chosen a style/satellite package instead. Have you also considered the Bowers&Wilkins various models or the KEF R100 package?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts