Help me build a setup on budget...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Eland

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
So is there any iconic/well-trusted gear I should keep an eye out for??

I found a pair of KLH Model 6's on craigslist near me. Would those be worth picking up?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Eland said:
So is there any iconic/well-trusted gear I should keep an eye out for??

I found a pair of KLH Model 6's on craigslist near me. Would those be worth picking up?
You are starting to fish completely in the dark now me thinks but if you want to go s/h and older, a Sony STR-DB930 and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls would be my suggestion. Decent phono stage and DAC's built in and it should leave change for a TT.

Good luck :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
2nd hand is the way to go for best sound for the $ spent.

As well as Craigs list and yard sales check out ebay.

EG, used amplifiers sorted in ascending price order.

It would make a lot of sense for you to buy a used, fully working integrated amplifier for $20. If it ever goes wrong, just buy another amp for $20.

For record players there are 5 things you should be looking out for.

1. as high an original selling price as you can find. This is a good website for finding that: http://www.audio-heritage.jp/

2. a high weight. You don't want to buy some lightweight plasticky rubbish.

3. price you can buy it at now. Best if the particular individual item is available for less than the current going rate for that item.

4 is it direct drive, idler or belt drive. I prefer direct and idler drives - amongst properly engineered turntables

5 is it fully working?

Speakers. These are a highly personal choice. just be aware that you will probably not buy the best sounding speakers for your money because you will probably not want huge speakers in your room!

Do a search for used speakers on ebay, sorted in ascending price order. You're looking for something domestically acceptable to you, that's not cheap plasticky rubbish, that is within your budget.

rainsoothe

drummerman said:
gasolin said:
muljao said:
From your description a set of powered speakers could be ideal. These have the amp build in etc, saving on space and for your budget I'd imaagine could be a better per price product.

Someting like these

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-bt3/review

Not shure the have Q Acoustics in usa, nyc (New york city)

A Pair of Jbl LSR305 and a dac with volume ***,found under the speaker and just some cabel in the right lenght

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00DUKP37C
Didn't Vladimir have something like those?

I think he disappeared from here shortly thereafter and some say he lost his mind :)

Honestly, I would stay away from these cheap actives.

I'd say they are probably a sure way of putting you off listening to music. With the OP's budget you want something that masks its faults reasonably well and sounds nice rather than attempting to be accurate and failing ... which they almost certainly will for that money.

?? These monitors (+cheap audio interface) will outsound ANY integrated + passive combination for similar (and bigger money). So will a pair of Yamaha HS5/7/8, Adam A5X/A7X etc. The JBLs are very well regarded, and they're actually some of the warmer sounding ones.

But since the OP doesn't want an active setup, then I guess he could do worse then Nad C316/Marantz PM5005/Onkyo 9010 + Dali/Q Acoustics/Wharfedale/Mission stuff

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
No they won't Rainsoothe. Not if you buy 2nd hand. Not even close.

In this thread the OP is living in the real world where things like Craigslist and an abundant choice of good 2nd hand audio equipment exists.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
if he doesn't have someone to guide him and offer specific (not general) advice about any potential 2nd hand puchased he could find himself in deep water and budget down the drain. Will you guide him? And of course in mentioning the 2nd hand market I suspect the focus is solely on a passive amp and speaker selection presumably because this is the way he intends to go. But this budget could also purchase a very decent active set of speakers better than those previously mentioned. Not arguing for an active solution here just saying.

rainsoothe

lindsayt said:
No they won't Rainsoothe. Not if you buy 2nd hand. Not even close.

In this thread the OP is living in the real world where things like Craigslist and an abundant choice of good 2nd hand audio equipment exists.

for 250 bucks (new) and who knows ho little SH? Ok...

john13

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Cambridge audio or Yamaha amp, Cambridge or jbl speakers, qed connectors, cd player if your into it Philips, or teac, have a scan on Craig's list, don't be afraid to go 2nd hand I tell ya some of my best buys have been 2nd hand, rega p1 or pioneer or dual turntable

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
if he doesn't have someone to guide him and offer specific (not general) advice about any potential 2nd hand puchased he could find himself in deep water and budget down the drain. Will you guide him? And of course in mentioning the 2nd hand market I suspect the focus is solely on a passive amp and speaker selection presumably because this is the way he intends to go. But this budget could also purchase a very decent active set of speakers better than those previously mentioned. Not arguing for an active solution here just saying.
If he follows my advice, he'll be in deep water to the tune of 20 bucks on the amplifier front.

That's not enough water to cover his toes if stands in a bowl.

And if he follows my advice he'll buy speakers for less than the price he can sell them on for. Which means that he'll be walking on water instead of deep in it.

Just because you foolishly wasted your money with your most recent major hi-fi purchase by buying brand new at the full dealer retail price, doesn't mean to say that's the best approach for other people like the OP who has a very limited budget and is happy to go 2nd hand.

And active or passive is a great big red herring. The quality of sound achievable by any hi-fi system with a digital source is approximately 80% determined by the quality of the speakers.

And sure, if the OP comes on here and says "I'm thinking of buying X for $Y?" I will be happy to tell him what I think.

ukplc

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I am in a similar position to OP -- looking at putting together a first system on a similar sort of budget, or even slightly lower. A difference is that I'm in UK. I've been reading around whilst I have been saving up and keeping my eye on ebay. An advantage of buying new kit, of course, is that it's much easier to get a demo. I'm a bit torn, though, as I know better stuff is on offer second-hand, even though it is always a bit of a gamble if you cannot audition it first. Like the OP I listen to all sorts of music and tend to like a warmer sound, so for me I'm looking for a fairly 'safe' all-rounder, which I know some people would consider a bit 'boring'. Boring is fine for me. I also want a phono stage and a decent headphone output.

I'm probably looking at getting an Arcam amp (Alpha 5+ or 6+ or 7). Most seem to agree that Arcams need efficient speakers -- I'm looking at some Missions from the same sort of era; some interesting Tannoy models pop up now and then; or possibly a new pair of Monitor Audio MR2s.

I've found this a useful guide to many of the second-hand items you encounter on ebay: http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/olde-worlde/295-old-buying-guide.html

Most of that stuff is British so I don't know how much you'll find in New York or what it would cost if you did. My second choice would probably be a Yamaha amp, maybe AX-396 or AX-496. Apparently these too are on the warm side so relatively bright speakers (Mission again?) should match well.

The Onkyo A-9010 has already been mentioned. If I was going to buy new, I would certainly want to get a demo of one of those. This review is well worth reading. http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/can-a-%C2%A3200-amp-really-be-this-good-andrew-everard-says-it-definitely-can

On turntables, I'm looking at Pro-Ject Elemental or Essential. But they're not cheap, and that stage will come later on for me.

Anyway, other people have a much better idea what they're talking about, but I thought it might be of some interest to compare notes. Good luck! :)

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with what most people have already said on here, although I am very much a novice compared to others who have suggested.

But for the budget I would myself be inclined to go for a Marantz PM6005/6006 and a pair of Q Acoustics 3010/3020.

Incase you aren't aware Q Acoustics are now fully available in the US direct via qacoustics.com

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts