I have a Marantz PM6004 that keeps cutting out due to the protection circuit. As it is now out of warrenty can anybody give me tips as to how to stop it happening or is there anything I can do at home? I'm getting fed up of having to disconnect everything to get it working again.

Any help or tips / suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards,

Darren.

P.S. My 20odd year old Technics amp is still working - it is annoying!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Darren Jones said:
I have a Marantz PM6004 that keeps cutting out due to the protection circuit. As it is now out of warrenty can anybody give me tips as to how to stop it happening or is there anything I can do at home? I'm getting fed up of having to disconnect everything to get it working again.

Regards,

Darren.

when this happens? high listening levels?

lpv said:
Darren Jones said:

Regards,

Darren.

The protection circuit is there for a reason. Not sure what you have connected to it but obviously something is tripping it so something is wrong.

Suggest you have a dealer or qualified electrician have a look at it.

D

Deleted member 108165

What is the position of the volume dial pointer when the amp enters protection mode? Eg: 11am, 12pm, 2pm?

Al ears said:
lpv said:
Darren Jones said:

Regards,

Darren.

The protection circuit is there for a reason. Not sure what you have connected to it but obviously something is tripping it so something is wrong.

Suggest you have a dealer or qualified electrician have a look at it.

Thanks for replying.

Due to the smallish size of my living room my volume never needs to go above 10-11 (min volume is apx 7 o'clock). It is connected to a Marantz CD6004, Sony MDS-JE510 (MiniDisc), Yamaha T-D500 (Tuner), Pioneer CT-W208R (Tape deck), Goodmans GSP 650 (Turntable), Gramofon streamer and Monitor Audio BX2s.

Regards,

Darren.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
my advice would be disconnect all inputs / outputs......turn the amp on and see if it trips. If it does something has gone within the amp. If not, its one of the connections thats causing the issue, if this is the case re-attach components one by one (turn off the amp each time and turn the amp on after each reconnection). This should diagnose the issue.

If its the amp itself, im afraid its probably a service required, could be upwards of £100+ (potentially).

4Barry

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
At the risk of stating the obvious - have you checked that there isn't a stray strand of wire causing a short accross the terminals at either the amp or speaker end? (Trying to drive a short circuit is always going to trip the protection circuitry!) The fact that you have been disconnecting and reconnecting suggests otherwise - but it has to be worth checking.

Have you tried disconnecting one speaker and then the other? Do they both trip the amp - or is it one or the other? It may also be worth trying different speaker cable - if you have some. Even bell wire will do for this - you're not worried how it sounds, just trying to isolate the fault.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts