Visit site
Experts,

I need to upgrade by CD player. The system comprises of:

Marantz K Signiture CD Player

Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp

Mordant Short 206 Floorstands

Van Den Hul Interconnects

Speaker Cable - forgot the brand

If I upgrade to the award winning Marantz 6002 CD player would it be worth the outlay, would it make a noticable difference to the sound My budget is tight - what do you suggest please?

John Duncan

[quote user="Kubs"]
Experts,

I need to upgrade by CD player. The system comprises of:

Marantz K Signiture CD Player

Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp

Mordant Short 206 Floorstands

Van Den Hul Interconnects

Speaker Cable - forgot the brand

If I upgrade to the award winning Marantz 6002 CD player would it be worth the outlay, would it make a noticable difference to the sound My budget is tight - what do you suggest please?
[/quote]

Why do you think you need to upgrade?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think with that set-up i'd personally look to upgrade the speakers

To me, i'd say theyre the weak link. The CDP isnt too bad but yes that could be due for an upgrade too.

What music do you listen to?

John Duncan

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I think with that set-up i'd personally look to upgrade the speakers

To me, i'd say theyre the weak link. The CDP isnt too bad but yes that could be due for an upgrade too.

What music do you listen to?[/quote]
Agreed. I think if you took that whole system into a dealer and tried a £1k CD player and a £1k pair of speakers (either/or, not both at once), you'd buy the speakers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I really wouldn't upgrade the CD player to a 6002 as I'm sure it will make a tiny tiny difference if any. You have to remember that however well the 6002 has been reviewed it is still a piece of budget kit at about half the price of your KI Signature.

Either upgrade your CD to something in a different league like the Rega Apollo, Naim, CD5i, Arcam CD192 or the speakers - look to spend about £600+ at RRP on each piece or it's not worth doing.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Im going through that phase of wanting to spend some money on my system. I've had the CD player and Speakers for over 7 years now and I'm sure technology has moved on.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Like Joel said above i'd look to upgrade the CD player to something along the lines of an Arcam CD72, CD73 or the CD192. The Rega Apollo would be a very good choice also.

With regards to the speakers, depending on the size of your room, you could look at Monitor Audio RS6's or the RS8's, B&W CM7's, B&W 684's or the 683's as well.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Upgrading is only worth doing if it's going to make a difference, unless it's a lifestyle choice in which case newer kit may look more modern.

I don't believe the 6002 will have too much of an effect. CD technology has moved on but nothing changes in the fact that the 6002 is a budget piece of kit so in my opinion the difference between your Sig and the 6002 will be small.

If you really want to spend money on your kit then I would suggest one of three things:

1) Upgrade your CD player to something better ie £600 +, or get something 2nd hand from Naim, Linn, Arcam etc

2) Get new speakers and spend at least £600 at RRP - ie B&W, Monitor Audio, Dali, PMC, ProAc, AVI, Epos - test a few with a Kandy at the shop

3) Get a power amp to match the Kandy, this will give a a much better sound

Better still, look to upgrade all 3 of these areas in the next year or so.

In my opinion, I would change the speakers first, then buy a power amp, then upgrade your CD player.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]It has yes, but any KI Sig is going to still be a good player[/quote]

yeb and you need to spend over a grand (rrp) to feel like money well spend...that Ken he really know his stuff.

I would change the speakers myself
emotion-55.gif

A

Anonymous

I think you should go for the "monitor audio silver rs6's" especially if you like electro because in my opinion pendulum sounds fantastic with the monitor audios especially with the roksan kandy and the marantz cd player you've got there. AND there relatively cheap also.

Plus a little thing i have to say even if your marantz is 7 years old it doesn't make it out of date, e.g. the naim cd5i cd player in TEN years time will still be fantastic...dont you agree

A

Anonymous

again looking at peoples recommendations of speakers you should definitely consider auditioning the monitor audio silver rs6's... %100 as well, simply because i auditioned them the other week with almost exactly the same kit you've got, the roksan kandy LIII Amp with the eeever soo slightly different marantz cd6002. so definitely give these a listen. with this setup bearing in mind if you like a 'bright' system then audition others, but if you don't mind, this system clarity is fantastic, as there drivers are made from aluminum throughout. (if you like more of a flowing sort of sound then go for B&W's or something simply because of the Kevlar made drivers) And the bass with the amp you've got is just perfect in my opinion. smooth bass not the "BANG BANG BANG.....BANG" sort of bass that gives you a headache after a while. Am I getting through to you lol

A

Anonymous

OR you could always go with your original make of speaker and go with The Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 floor standing speakers...have a look at them i was gonna audition them myself actually. plus their abouts the same amount as the monitor audio's. AND they look very attractive in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts