Help! How to connect SubWoofer to Denon PMA800NE

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi!
I have cero experience setting up hifi systems, so this question may sound silly. Sorry about that.
Can I use the "Recorder (Audio) Out" from the Amp and hook it up to an Active Subwoofer's input using RCA cables?
Here are two pics for better reference
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 10.45.43.png
Above is the Denon PMA800NE with no dedicated Sub Out, but I thought maybe the Audio Out would do the same job with RCA cables.

Below is the Sub's back panel with the RL In for RCA Cables. It has a crossover switch to select from 60hz to 90hz.
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 10.46.36.png

Thank you very much for any feedback!

I am no expert on the connection of subwoofers but have you tried it?
I think that the output would be at line level so you would have no control over volume..... might be wrong.
Perhaps if you really must have a subwoofer you buy an amp that will let you connect one conventionally.

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
I am no expert on the connection of subwoofers but have you tried it?
I think that the output would be at line level so you would have no control over volume..... might be wrong.
Perhaps if you really must have a subwoofer you buy an amp that will let you connect one conventionally.
Thank you Al ears!

richiestudman

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi Arsenio - you may have already tried what you suggested, based on the time elapsed, but I don't think you want to be connecting a SW to the recorder line levels. I have the same amp (which is awesome!) and it is connected to Q Acoustics 3020s on Q Acoustics stands, and I have to say, they really really don't need any additional bass!

According to Audiophiliac Steve Guttenberg (and many many others) you simply connect speaker cable from the speaker posts on the amp to the speaker inputs on the subwoofer - they are normally marked as high level inputs. The subwoofer in your photo is a studio subwoofer, rather than a "normal" hi-fi sub.

Simple YouTube clip here may help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSAQDjuWN0&feature=emb_title

Cheers

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi Arsenio - you may have already tried what you suggested, based on the time elapsed, but I don't think you want to be connecting a SW to the recorder line levels. I have the same amp (which is awesome!) and it is connected to Q Acoustics 3020s on Q Acoustics stands, and I have to say, they really really don't need any additional bass!

According to Audiophiliac Steve Guttenberg (and many many others) you simply connect speaker cable from the speaker posts on the amp to the speaker inputs on the subwoofer - they are normally marked as high level inputs. The subwoofer in your photo is a studio subwoofer, rather than a "normal" hi-fi sub.

Simple YouTube clip here may help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSAQDjuWN0&feature=emb_title

Cheers
Thank you very much for your reply, Richie! That was very clear and helpful! Finally I ended up getting an amp with a dedicated sub out, so there was no problem regarding this issue anymore.
On the other hand, I have the same speakers as yours, I really like them and I have to agree that most of the time I do not need an extra sub woofer. Maybe occasionally when listening to drum n' bass but that's 2% of the time.
I hope all is good! Cheers mate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts