Help having major problem with Rega RP3!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having got back into vinyl and purchased a Rega RP3 deck I am having problems with sound distortion after 3 to 5 mins of playing new albums, checked sytylus and for dust nothing wrong. When I lift the vinyl off the felt mat comes away with it.

Have been told by supplier it could be because its in a wooden cabinet etc creating static or vibration but this never happened with previous Pioneer deck (RIP).

Any ideas? :

Gazza

Well, the obvious answer is to get your dealer to check it out. It must be brand new.

You are a bit brief on details. You say 'new album' - is that brand new unplayed? If so, what about old ones?

Static will atract the felt mat. Wooden cabinets do not create or encourage static - that's nonsense! They aren't ideal for a Rega, where the ideal is a light, open table, or wall mounting. But vibration will not cause distortion after 5 minutes specifically. And static, if terrible, will only cause clicks through the system, not distortion.

What happens after 10 minutes - the same, worse or OK? And 15?

Is the TT dead level? Did you fit the cartridge? Is the tracking weight accurate and the bias/anti-skate? Is it a dry room? You can improve that with a glass of water near the TT, maybe with a small sponge in it to prompt evaporation.

So, nothing blinding at the moment. Keep experimenting and get back to us.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

It seems to be on brand new vinyl from what I remember (will try some older ones the weekend).

It can happen at any time and once it starts it stays giving a muffled distorted sound. If I lift the tone arm clear there is no evidence of fluff on record or stylus. Once checked I put the record back on approx where I lifted it sound is clear agin but ends up muffled etc after a few minutes.

The Deck was an ex demo and was fine when they demomonstrated it for me with my old vinyls.

The Cartridge was fitted and set up by the dealer, I have checked the level and weight settings with a set up kit and inspected the stylus all appears ok.

I have a strong suspicion its static related, but dont go with their being in a wooden cabinet as it is not polished and cost a lot and is of very sturdy build also the lid and door are open whilst playing.

Any more ideas?

Regards

Gazza

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
When it starts playing, watch the stylus from close up and from the side (magnifying glass might help) and make sure it is well lit (near a window with daylight).

Does the cartridge body gradually 'sink' towards the record surface when the 'muffling' starts? Does the cantilever stay at the correct angle? Does it mis-track/skip?

It sounds to me like you (or the dealer) have had a mishap when setting up/packing/unpacking and the cantilever is broken. (Or you are accidently tracking with far more force than recommended.)

Have you (just for the sake of eliminating the cabinet) set it up on a nearby table or other surface to see if the fault remains?

You are using the deck in the exact opposite kind of situation to that recommended by the manufacturer, but the symptoms described should not be caused by poor siting or static.

Are you using a seperate phono pre-amp or a built-in phono stage on the amp?

Just a small tip, if your dealer is capable of blaming this fault on the furniture and/or static then he would not be the sort of dealer I would trust to affix and align a cartridge!

PS. The anti-skate on Rega arms is too strong, so set it 1g or less, assuming you are actually tracking 1.5 to 2 g, which is typical these days.

Still doesn't only apply at 5 mins in, but every little helps.

Is the distortion in both channels equally? If mainly on the left, then it IS the antiskate!

A

Anonymous

chebby

Thanks, it does not mistrack or skip.

Dealer has suggested trying on another surface (hope to try this weekend) but still have doubts as previous deck was fine.

The ARCAM Alpha amp has a built in phono stage.

Think I need to try older vinyls from my well looked after collection but do not think those I have tried on the Rega have had this problem.

How can I check the cantilever?

Regards

Gazza

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If it only happens with new records, it could just be the stylus picking up pressing-debris from the groove.

You wouldn't necessarily see it...but then, you'd expect to have to clean the stylus tip before it went away, and you say you don't have to?

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi have had the same problem with my RP3.

I reduced the tracking force to 1.4g - 1.5g using a scale and ignore the marks on the aniskate pull it around half way out and it sounds very nice.

Let me know how you get on.

Lee

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi have had the same problem with my RP3.

I reduced the tracking force to 1.4g - 1.5g using a scale and ignore the marks on the aniskate pull it around half way out and it sounds very nice.

Let me know how you get on.

Lee

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the tip.

Have reset everything this morning starting with counterbalance and used a turntable allignment kit to check tracking force should be 1.75g scale on arm set at 1.5g but reads 1.7 on scales! reset bias to approx 1.5 i.e between 1 and 2 mark.

Listened to new album (Pink Floyd DSotM Brand New), which played up last week, via headphones and an old one both ok.

Tried same new one just now through speakers at approx same volume as last week no problem at all.
smile.png

Also had a thought I used an old antistatic brush prior to playing last week wonder if this caused the problem!!!! But followed Rega's advice not to use as dust will be cleared by stylus!!!!!! Thought dust etc got pushed deeper into the groove by the stylus!!

Hopefully it will continue this way now.

Thanks to all for the advice.

By the way the turntable is a P3-24 not RP3.

Regards

Gazza

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts