Help deciding on a low-end, entry level HTiB?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

First I want to say I'm new to this forum and I don't know exactly where to pose this question. Secondly, I don't know why exactly, although this is just an internet forum, I feel intimidated when posting this. Maybe because I'm asking about low-end HTiB stuff in an audiophile forum? Heh. I usually go to RedFlagDeals to pose these questions but I feel that they have either grown tired of answering Audio questions and that it'd probably be better to go to a audio dedicated forum.

Let's get things started then shall we? I'm a newb in this scene, but I'm interested in learning otherwise I wouldn't even be posting here.

I just bought an HDTV (NS-42L780A12 if anyone is interested or if its relevant) and I'm looking to match it up with a cheap HTiB set that I will NOT be upgrading. I will be selling it off to a friend close to boxing day OR putting into the guest/tennants bedroom, and then buying my first real home theater set piece by piece during the holiday season. I want to mention some things:

1) This will be for a bedroom, I suppose Small/medium size? Like an apartment suite, I don't have the exact numbers for it. Best guess is something like 12 or 11'x9 or 8'?

2) It has to have tower speakers cause' my friend that may take it off me later on says he wants a set with them. I mean, I do admit, tower speakers are aesthetically pleasing.

3) Small budget, since it's temp. When I mean small, I mean 300ish all in type of small.

4) Need a set by late August/early September.

So here's what I am resorting to, the source is great for cheap stuff.

Sony's DAV-TZ510 DVD Home Theatre set on sale for 229.99, originally 299.99.

Samsung's HT-TZ322 also DVD Home Theatre set on clearance for 229.99, originally 499.99.

I think what it comes down to is outputs/inputs? Both are really lacking TBH, but what can I expect. I watch 720/1080p rips of shows/movies and play on my PS3. I'll sometimes use my computer as a HTPC. I will also be using a tablet to connect to my TV via hdmi. Essentially at once I'll be using two different HDMI enabled electronics and my PC (via DVI) to my TV. Everything is generally for HD content.

I've read that the TZ510 has no optical input or something? It seems really important but I'm not exactly sure why. I've read/heard that you need it for true 5.1 sound? The TZ322 is clearance and I will not be able to return it, which is why I want to make an informed decision before I purchase. Both are passive subs...? How do you tell the difference?

Lastly, should I pull the trigger at all on these two sets? Or should I wait for better deals later in August or early September? My budget will stay the same, all in 300ish (little more for the environmental fee/shipping/tax).

Thanks for any input and help,

Transcend

P.S. if I'm in the wrong sub-forum could someone tell me for future reference? Thanks.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome! No need to be intimitated. I think for what you propose you should go to the review section of this website and find the best looking 5* rated HTIB system within budget. The reviews here are pretty good and should be helpful.

All the best, Dave.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, tower aka 'tallboy' speakers are only found with all-in-one home cinema systems unless you spend a considerable option. One option is the Wharfedale 'Acrhomatic' or 'Moviestar' speaker packages that are not normally sold in the UK but are available at the sole distributor ' AV Bristol '. Both these options would swallow up your (or is it your mates'?) budget alone.

Why are you buying something that your mate will eventually end up with? By limiting your choices to 'tallboy' speakers, you are limiting your overall choice of system.

I wouldn't personally buy a DVD based setup. Sorry if I have got that wrong but you mentioned DVD as opposed to bluray. Bluray hardware has come down in price to DVD levels and is obviously a step up in picture quality from SD DVD.

The inputs are important if you have several AV sources to connect. Therefore if you have satellite/cable, games consoles, PCs and so on, I would simply avoid the all-in-one home cinema in a box route.

As you currently have a bluray player in the PS3, I would be looking at something like the Onkyo HTX-22HDX, Onkyo HTS-3405, Yamaha YHT-294 or Onkyo HTS-5405. You don't need another player. Sony also do a amp/speaker set that is similar in design to an all-in-one but lacks a bluray player. Check the Sony site. They used to do the HT-SF1300 which might be worth seeking out second hand as I don't think you'll find it available new now. It is HD audio capable.

Optical (or digi-coax) inputs are required for discrete multi-channel audio i.e. separate channels 5.1. If you go with analogue phono (red/white RCA) inputs/cables, you'll be limited to stereo or a pseudo surround sound effect like dolby pro logic II. Pseudo surround sound (DTS Neo 6, dolby pro logic II) and true discrete multi-channel surround sound (dolby digital 5.1, DTS) do not compare. If you go with a system with just one optical input and several optical sources (TV?, PC? (spdif), PS3) then you will need short optical cables and a three way manual optical switch. The latest audio formats are found on bluray discs e.g. Dolby True HD, Lossles PCM, DTS Master Audio. These are lossless HD audio formats and are a step up again from the lossy formats mentioned earlier but are passed over HDMI only in digital form. Therefore if you want to future proof your purchase to a degree, I would look for a setup capable of these.

Are the models you mentioned current models? A quick google revealed the Samsung was at least 2 years old.

There are a number of home cinema in a box systems that have at least 1 optical one optical input. Some might have two. However I would review your choices and go for an AV Receiver and speaker package that has sufficient inputs for your sources. You don't need another built-in player so again, I wouldn't bother buying a system with one. Maybe, I just cannot comprehend buying a system for a few months or something that I will pass on to a mate. My brother and friends have inherited a few AV systems, TVs etc. over the years but I wouldn't buy anything for a few months. If that is your plan, I would think again and save up for a system for yourself that you will be happy with for a few years.

What audio outputs does your TV have? What audio capabilities does it have i.e. dolby digital?

A

Anonymous

dave_k said:
<p>Hello and welcome! No need to be intimitated. I think for what you propose you should go to the review section of this website and find the best looking 5* rated HTIB system within budget. The reviews here are pretty good and should be helpful.</p><p>All the best, Dave.</p>

Thanks for the tip! Quick question, is this forum europe based? Lol I feel silly asking this.

d4v3pum4 said:
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, tower aka 'tallboy' speakers are only found with all-in-one home cinema systems unless you spend a considerable option. One option is the Wharfedale 'Acrhomatic' or 'Moviestar' speaker packages that are not normally sold in the UK but are available at the sole distributor ' AV Bristol '. Both these options would swallow up your (or is it your mates'?) budget alone.

Why are you buying something that your mate will eventually end up with? By limiting your choices to 'tallboy' speakers, you are limiting your overall choice of system.

I wouldn't personally buy a DVD based setup. Sorry if I have got that wrong but you mentioned DVD as opposed to bluray. Bluray hardware has come down in price to DVD levels and is obviously a step up in picture quality from SD DVD.

The inputs are important if you have several AV sources to connect. Therefore if you have satellite/cable, games consoles, PCs and so on, I would simply avoid the all-in-one home cinema in a box route.

As you currently have a bluray player in the PS3, I would be looking at something like the Onkyo HTX-22HDX, Onkyo HTS-3405, Yamaha YHT-294 or Onkyo HTS-5405. You don't need another player. Sony also do a amp/speaker set that is similar in design to an all-in-one but lacks a bluray player. Check the Sony site. They used to do the HT-SF1300 which might be worth seeking out second hand as I don't think you'll find it available new now. It is HD audio capable.

Optical (or digi-coax) inputs are required for discrete multi-channel audio i.e. separate channels 5.1. If you go with analogue phono (red/white RCA) inputs/cables, you'll be limited to stereo or a pseudo surround sound effect like dolby pro logic II. Pseudo surround sound (DTS Neo 6, dolby pro logic II) and true discrete multi-channel surround sound (dolby digital 5.1, DTS) do not compare. If you go with a system with just one optical input and several optical sources (TV?, PC? (spdif), PS3) then you will need short optical cables and a three way manual optical switch. The latest audio formats are found on bluray discs e.g. Dolby True HD, Lossles PCM, DTS Master Audio. These are lossless HD audio formats and are a step up again from the lossy formats mentioned earlier but are passed over HDMI only in digital form. Therefore if you want to future proof your purchase to a degree, I would look for a setup capable of these.

Are the models you mentioned current models? A quick google revealed the Samsung was at least 2 years old.

There are a number of home cinema in a box systems that have at least 1 optical one optical input. Some might have two. However I would review your choices and go for an AV Receiver and speaker package that has sufficient inputs for your sources. You don't need another built-in player so again, I wouldn't bother buying a system with one. Maybe, I just cannot comprehend buying a system for a few months or something that I will pass on to a mate. My brother and friends have inherited a few AV systems, TVs etc. over the years but I wouldn't buy anything for a few months. If that is your plan, I would think again and save up for a system for yourself that you will be happy with for a few years.

What audio outputs does your TV have? What audio capabilities does it have i.e. dolby digital?

I am purchasing this way because my mate wants one as well but does not really know what to get and is lazy. This way I can have a set for a couple of months or more, sell it off to him, and not lose any money. Then during the holiday season I build off my own set from scratch. He has a system and I have a system for a bit. Hence why I'm going low-budget.

For my purposes and budget right now, I think I have to go HTiBs. ):

The models I showed are not current models, hence it being so cheap.

uhhh it has 3 HDMIs, Audio Out, Component, and Digital Out? I have the TV model in my original post.

Thanks for your replies!

However, if I HAD to choose between that Samsung and Sony set, which would I go for?

Thanks again,

Transcend

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
The forum and magazine are UK based.

If you're happy to use your TV as a hub for all your inputs the number of inputs on the unit is less important. I'd look for one that can handle the latest audio formats though...

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for your constant input,

I did decide against those two sets. These are my new ideas.

Samsung's HT-D5330

-www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-1000-watt-5-1-channel-3d-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-ht-d5330-ht-d5330/10166806.aspx?path=d02b4c63e64d6ad5d375a21233bb87a den02

and LG's HB906PA

-www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-1100-watt-5-1-channel-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-hb906pa-hb906pa/10167587.aspx?path=71999fd60491d399a5fd54bb7edc831 den02

Which should I go for? 8D
They have a lot of fancy stuff I don't quite understand, and it's 2:30 am so I'm very tired. One sale ends tomorrow so yeah and I'm very busy. Can't do any more research or I'll die tomorrow.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Unless you can listen to these systems in somewhere like John Lewis, which tends to have a reasonable selection of all-in -ones on display, I'd find something that has received an excellent review from a professional website like What HiFi and go with that. They will have heard many such systems and so will be able to say which ones are worth buying. It would be a shame to buy it and not be happy with it regardless of how long you intend to keep it...

Also, have yo considered any of the soundbar options?

FWIW, I'm seriously considering buying the Q Acoustics TV2, which is a 2.1 system that fits discretely behind the TV. No wires around the room and minimum fuss. It's also about £300...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts