HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker with a budget of USD$800-$1200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:

Thanks a lot for the link. Will watch at home.

BigH said:
I think actives are generally better value than passives so I'm sure there are some in his price range.

I hope your video will help me and of course the OP to understand it better.

BigH said:
Really it is down to the person to hear different systems and decide what is best for them. As you found CM1s were the best for you but they were not the best for me, from passives the KEF LS50s were better.

Indeed tastes differ. I respect yours.:cheers:

BigH said:
I found the CM1s were rather insensitive and needed some driving also not very balanced for my taste.

Wow, you described them brilliantly. Yes, they are intensive, I understand it as the ability to give punch for heavy music.

Cheers,

Andrew

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
rayteyj said:
So what speakers would you recommend? the KEF LS50?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Raymond

The LS50s I think are out of your price range and IMO need good amp with plenty of power although some people do use the Arcam A19 although I think the R100s would be more suitable for 50W amps.

I think you need to try various systems out, everyone is different for instance some people like Cyrus and others don't, same with Naim, same with Arcam. I would say speakers have more ineffence on the sound, check which is best for your music, some will be better on acoustic and some will be better with heavy metal. I remember years ago playing some vocals (Van Morrison) on Wharfedale Dentons and they were great but put on Little Feat with some bass guitar and the woofers turned to jelly.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
BigH said:
I found the CM1s were rather insensitive and needed some driving also not very balanced for my taste.

Wow, you described them brilliantly. Yes, they are intensive, I understand it as the ability to give punch for heavy music.

Cheers,

Andrew

No by insensitive I mean they need more power to make the same sound, ie they are rated at 84db I believe, I found the Brio R amp to be struggling at moderate volumes. That could also mean lacking punch I suppose but probably depends on the amp.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
What do you mean by heavy music? Is that high volume or bass heavy? To be honest I have not heard most of those speakers you list apart from Dyns Excite X12s and Focal 701s? Neat I have heard are not good for loud music. I would look at KEFs R100s, LS50s and R300s for a start.

By heavy I mean with upper and mid bass heavy, not necessarily heavy metal. Like "Heavy Fuel" by Dire Straits or "Old L.A. Tonight" by Ozzy.

I've just heard KEF Q series (300 and 500). I liked the sound, but they were not punchy as many others.

The sales man in another shop refused to give me a listen of R300, saying they were not what I needed :). And LS I think was a newcomer to the market at that time, was unavailable.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
No by insensitive I mean they need more power to make the same sound, ie they are rated at 84db I believe, I found the Brio R amp to be struggling at moderate volumes. That could also mean lacking punch I suppose but probably depends on the amp.

Oh, I've read as "inTensive". Sorry. Anyway - brilliant ;-)

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
|(
BigH said:
rayteyj said:
So what speakers would you recommend? the KEF LS50?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Raymond

The LS50s I think are out of your price range and IMO need good amp with plenty of power although some people do use the Arcam A19 although I think the R100s would be more suitable for 50W amps.

I think you need to try various systems out, everyone is different for instance some people like Cyrus and others don't, same with Naim, same with Arcam. I would say speakers have more ineffence on the sound, check which is best for your music, some will be better on acoustic and some will be better with heavy metal. I remember years ago playing some vocals (Van Morrison) on Wharfedale Dentons and they were great but put on Little Feat with some bass guitar and the woofers turned to jelly.

I would support BigH that speakers have more influence (I think there was a misprint) than an amp and mainly that you need to audition yourself. The latter is a standard reply on this forum which always blows my brain up. But I think before you audition it is also very helpful to ask advises. It helps to sort out the thoughts.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
And still, Raymond, do you like to listen to music quite loud or not? I think it'll help to advise.

Please also mind that when one listens to a hi-fi set-up it seems that the sound is not that loud. This is because of the clarity of music. And you will want to turn the volume up.

T

the record spot

rayteyj said:
the record spot said:
Just to point out that one bad experience with one manufacturer's goods doesn't define the sector. There are more options outwith AVI (or Naim in another thread) to choose from and active speakers are a good consideration in general. Many good models to choose from.

Got it. :) would you recommend any good active speakers that fits my reqirements? :)

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

Tha probably depends on what brands your local pro-audio retailers have in stock. I am thinking Genelec, Adam, Mackie and Yamaha. Dynaudio and Tannoy are two others to look out for too.

Speaking of Tannoy, and given your room size, do check out the DC6 or Precision 6.1 speakers. I have my DC4 in a confined space and they were incredibly well. Check them out. They give you positioning and scale that is very impressive given their dimensions. I imagine the DC6 and the 6.1 will share the same characteristics.

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Chaloff said:
And still, Raymond, do you like to listen to music quite loud or not? I think it'll help to advise.

Please also mind that when one listens to a hi-fi set-up it seems that the sound is not that loud. This is because of the clarity of music. And you will want to turn the volume up.

Erm..I dont blast my music as I'm afraid of disturbing my family haha..around the middle I'd say.

Thanks!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I heard the Tannoy 6.1, I liked them but felt they were pleasant and easy listening not sure they were really for rock. Also think they would be out of his price range as £900 here. I did actual hear them just after some active speakers and they were a bit lacking in clarity and attack.

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys!

Thanks lot for helping! as you can see I'm a newbie and I'm slowly learning. Keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore suggestions!

I'll probably audition the KEF100/300 and MAs. Any amps to go with these speakers?

Best Regards

Raymond

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not recommending them by the way :). The OPs in Singapore so m guessing a demo would be difficult. Although I'm pretty sure there's at least one ADM40 owner there.

I just wanted to say that I've found them exactly what I wanted, and I'm sure other actives deliver with a large variety of music.

Your experience might be of certain makes/models not reflective of the technology as a whole.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
rayteyj said:
Hey guys!

Thanks lot for helping! as you can see I'm a newbie and I'm slowly learning. Keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore suggestions!

I'll probably audition the KEF100/300 and MAs. Any amps to go with these speakers?

Best Regards

Raymond

I would advise B&W 686 and Dynaudio DM2/6. They are of similar price range with Kef Q100.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
rayteyj said:
Hey guys!

Best Regards

Raymond

You could start with Rega Brio R, Arcam A19, Creek 50A, Marantz Pearl Lite, if those are too expensive then you could try Marantz 6004, also some Denons, Rotels and Yahama get good reviews, some like the Pioneer A50. Not sure what you can hear in Singapore.

Can you get Q Acoustic speakers in Singapore?

You could try the KEF X300A, these are the active version of the Q300.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Chaloff said:
richardw42 said:
Just to say. I use active speakers and listen to a lot of rock and metal, including thrash, industrial.

Do you say about this: http://www.thedigitalmusicexperts.com/TDME/AVI-d_ADM9RSS.html or this: http://www.avihifi.eu/ADM40/en

>)

He has both as you can see in his signature.

:) Yes, I know. I took the models from his signature and then searched the web. I thought Richard had advised Raymond one of them :). Then he clarified he had not :).

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
rayteyj said:
Hey guys!

Best Regards

Raymond

Onkyo A-9030, NAD C326BEE, Marantz PM5004, Yamaha A-S500, Denon PMA-520AE, Pioneer A-30.

There are also lower models within some of these lines. E.g. Yamaha A-S300 or NAD C316BEE or Pioneer A-10 / 20. I would not recommend them.

Have a good luck!

T

the record spot

BigH said:
I heard the Tannoy 6.1, I liked them but felt they were pleasant and easy listening not sure they were really for rock. Also think they would be out of his price range as £900 here. I did actual hear them just after some active speakers and they were a bit lacking in clarity and attack.

The dual concentric arrangement is slightly different from your usual tweeter/woofer separate setup. It of course might be that the actives that you heard were a tad on the overly bright side. No issues with clarity with the DC4 so I would be surprised if the same wasn't held for the other two models I mentioned.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:

I got Q A 2010i. They do not have any punch. Not bassy. But great with stuff like "Hole Hearted" by Extreme - guitar is perfect. Just IMO. But don't listen to me :), listen to speakers :).

BigH said:

+1

I think the first and the only good advise of active speakers within specified prices.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
BigH said:

I got Q A 2010i. They do not have any punch. Not bassy. But great with stuff like "Hole Hearted" by Extreme - guitar is perfect. Just IMO. But don't listen to me :), listen to speakers :).

BigH said:

+1

I think the first and the only good advise of active speakers within specified prices.

I did not say 2010is, but yes they don't have a lot of bass but then most small speakers don't. I was thinking more of the 2020is.

RecordSpot did list a load of actives that are around £400-£500 so they should be OK, most of them are well regarded but I have not heard them myself.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:

Raymond, you can consider Focal CMS 65 active speakers as well. Have not heard myself, but some people say they are fine. Some say there's lack of bass a little. Cost less than X300.

KRK has many budget active speakers. Reviews differ from love to hate. But all say there's plenty of bass. :rockout:

Dynaudio BM 6A - have not heard them myself. But Dyns is a respected company.

People are also crazy about Adam A7X.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts