HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker with a budget of USD$800-$1200

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!!!

First of all thank you for noticing this post :)

Yup. I need help lots of help. I'm intending to buy a new set of speakers for watching movies, surfing the web and listenting to songs. So here are the requirements

1) my room size is small-3 X 3m room.

2) music-I cant emphasize how important this is. I listen to acoustic, rock, metal songs in general. I don't consider myself to be a huge audiophile but I REALLY REALLY REALLY do appreciate music. I tend to disect the details of the song etc.

3) i watch movies and most of the time I have a problem with either the explosion being too loud or the voice too soft.

Yup that's all I could think of. If you guys need any more information feel free to ask! Any suggestions are welcomed. As this is my first real expensive investment on stereo equipments I need any help :)

Once again THANK YOU! :)

Oh if it's of any use, I have a Fischer headphone FA-003 which I absolutely love. If you guys know this headphone you will probably have a good idea of what kind of sound do I like.

Best Regards

Raymond

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
rayteyj said:
Yup. I need help lots of help. I'm intending to buy a new set of speakers for watching movies, surfing the web and listenting to songs. So here are the requirements

Hi Raymond,

It's hard to advise as it is unclear if you want 5.1 / 7.1 set or 2.1 or stereo set.

What set do you have now?

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Chaloff said:
rayteyj said:

Hi Raymond,

It's hard to advise as it is unclear if you want 5.1 / 7.1 set or 2.1 or stereo set.

Oops, :oops:

Reread your post and now I see that you want stereo speakers. Sorry.

What pair do you have now. What don't you like in it?

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Chaloff said:
Chaloff said:
rayteyj said:

Hi Raymond,

Oops, :oops:

Reread your post and now I see that you want stereo speakers. Sorry.

What pair do you have now. What don't you like in it?

Hi Chaloff

I do not have any speakers right now. I'm a newbie haha..However I demoed the Audioengine A5 recently and I thought it was just a nice speaker.It dosen't fill the room as much as I like. I'm looking for a step up from the A5s I suppose.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raymond

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
and what amplification and source are you using?

Hi ID

Erm..I do not have any amps. Basically I'm starting from a TV screen. haha..as for source wise I'm not too sure what are you talking about the only source that I know is music source-FLAC, mpeg etc. But I dont think you are referring to that source right? haha

Best Regards

Raymond

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that information is very important. I can also now see that you are thinking of active or powered speakers, as opposed to passive speakers (i.e. speakers requiring a separate amp to drive them). It is important to make that clear, because most hi fi speakers are passive, so you might have received a big list of speakers completely different from what you had in mind.

By source I mean whatever is playing the files, which could be a CD player, a computer, streamer, TV, or a DAC combined with any of the foregoing to improve sound quality. In your case it sounds like you will use your computer and TV, in which case a DAC might be good because many active/powered speakers don't have enough inputs to handle multiple sources.

More questions

Where are you planning to place the speakers? Free standing or on your computer desk?

I'd suggest checking out this thread for some ideas about active/powered speakers.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-active-speakers-club

If you aren't too fussy about how they look, some nice analytical studio monitors like

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a5x/description

might be good paired with a reasonable DAC. One of the advantages of these is that, unlike the bigger A7X, the stereo link allows you to control the volume for both more easily. Then again, the audio engines get some good reviews and have finishes better suited to a domestic environment. Never heard them personally. A DAC would also help improve sound quality for the audio engines, too.

Personally, I'd also want to have a listen to the KEF X300A, despite the WHF review that seemed somewhat damning (although a 4 star rating isn't bad at all. Still worth auditioning.)

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Thanks, that information is very important. I can also now see that you are thinking of active or powered speakers, as opposed to passive speakers (i.e. speakers requiring a separate amp to drive them). It is important to make that clear, because most hi fi speakers are passive, so you might have received a big list of speakers completely different from what you had in mind.

By source I mean whatever is playing the files, which could be a CD player, a computer, streamer, TV, or a DAC combined with any of the foregoing to improve sound quality. In your case it sounds like you will use your computer and TV, in which case a DAC might be good because many active/powered speakers don't have enough inputs to handle multiple sources.

More questions

Where are you planning to place the speakers? Free standing or on your computer desk?

I'd suggest checking out this thread for some ideas about active/powered speakers.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-active-speakers-club

If you aren't too fussy about how they look, some nice analytical studio monitors like

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a5x/description

might be good paired with a reasonable DAC. One of the advantages of these is that, unlike the bigger A7X, the stereo link allows you to control the volume for both more easily. Then again, the audio engines get some good reviews and have finishes better suited to a domestic environment. Never heard them personally. A DAC would also help improve sound quality for the audio engines, too.

Personally, I'd also want to have a listen to the KEF X300A, despite the WHF review that seemed somewhat damning (although a 4 star rating isn't bad at all. Still worth auditioning.)

Ah..but wouldnt passive speakers+amp be better than acive speakers then? Granted the price of a passive speaker+amp would be more expensive. All in all what I'm looking for is a great speakers that is relatively easy to operate(if there is any).

As for the questions yes it would be placed on the floors.

Ah I've seen those speakersbefore. Have you tried them? How does it sound?

Also I've been looking at the KEF Ls50 and the audio monitor bronze series. I read that the Audio monitor Bronze is pretty fussy when it comes to pairing with the proper system. But it could be a steal if done properly. The KEFLs50 has pretty good reviews(i love how it looks haha). What are your opinions of these 2?

Also what do you mean by analytical studio monitors

Thanks!

Best Regards

Raymond

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
rayteyj said:
Ah..but wouldnt passive speakers+amp be better than acive speakers then? Granted the price of a passive speaker+amp would be more expensive. All in all what I'm looking for is a great speakers that is relatively easy to operate(if there is any).

As for the questions yes it would be placed on the floors.

Ah I've seen those speakersbefore. Have you tried them? How does it sound?

Also I've been looking at the KEF Ls50 and the audio monitor bronze series. I read that the Audio monitor Bronze is pretty fussy when it comes to pairing with the proper system. But it could be a steal if done properly. The KEFLs50 has pretty good reviews(i love how it looks haha). What are your opinions of these 2?

Also what do you mean by analytical studio monitors

Thanks!

Best Regards

Raymond

Hello Ray,

No passive speakers and amp would not necessarily be better than actives, they are certain advantages with actives, PMC do a video that explains them quite well if you want to have a look. Actives should have matched amps and don't have the passive crossovers. As for the LS50s I'm not sure they would suit your set-up, they need some space and good quality amp. and are not so good at low volumes, one reason I did not buy them. MA get mixed reviews, the only way is to demo different set-ups. Are you in the USA?

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would stay away from actives, I had a horrible experience with (expensive) AVI speakers.

Try to audition some Monitor Audios, performance/price ratio is great especially if the dealer gets you a discount (RX2 are great sounding bookshelfs, and the RX6 sounded great to my ears vs other brands in the price range).

Good luck with your purchase !

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
[/quote]

Hello Ray,

No passive speakers and amp would not necessarily be better than actives, they are certain advantages with actives, PMC do a video that explains them quite well if you want to have a look. Actives should have matched amps and don't have the passive crossovers. As for the LS50s I'm not sure they would suit your set-up, they need some space and good quality amp. and are not so good at low volumes, one reason I did not buy them. MA get mixed reviews, the only way is to demo different set-ups. Are you in the USA?

[/quote]

Ah alright I will take a look at that video. I 've heard about the problem regarding the low volumes. Anyway the speaker + amps would blow my budget out of the water. Too bad it looked so good. :( Yeah I've heard about the MA. I would probably do more research on that and demo a few setups.

btw I live in Singapore :)

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
danny86 said:
Personally I would stay away from actives, I had a horrible experience with (expensive) AVI speakers.

Try to audition some Monitor Audios, performance/price ratio is great especially if the dealer gets you a discount (RX2 are great sounding bookshelfs, and the RX6 sounded great to my ears vs other brands in the price range).

Good luck with your purchase !

Haha! Alright! shall try those two. But the Monitor Audios are pretty picky with their choice of add ons right? Any add ons you would recommend then?

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

T

the record spot

Just to point out that one bad experience with one manufacturer's goods doesn't define the sector. There are more options outwith AVI (or Naim in another thread) to choose from and active speakers are a good consideration in general. Many good models to choose from.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If just playing from a computer the simpliest solution would be computer into active speakers, you may want to upgrade your soundcard, companies like Xonar are very good. Not sure what is available in your market but I would try KEF X300s if you can, not saying they are the best actives for the money but it will give you an idea.

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Just to point out that one bad experience with one manufacturer's goods doesn't define the sector. There are more options outwith AVI (or Naim in another thread) to choose from and active speakers are a good consideration in general. Many good models to choose from.

Got it. :) would you recommend any good active speakers that fits my reqirements? :)

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
If just playing from a computer the simpliest solution would be computer into active speakers, you may want to upgrade your soundcard, companies like Xonar are very good. Not sure what is available in your market but I would try KEF X300s if you can, not saying they are the best actives for the money but it will give you an idea.

Actually I was thinking of doing that to my TV/computer setup so that I could just store all my tunes and movies in one place. But would a soundcard actually affect the quality of sound? I'm not too sure how a soundcard works with the speaker.

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Some thoughts.

The following idea can be argued and can be supported. Depending on peoples belief.

Key words for me in your OP are "rock, metal songs". My opinion is that you need minimum two things for this if you love to listen to such music quite loud:

1) Powerful amp (The bigger transformer and more massive heatsink the better. This is why expensive amps are mostly very heavy.

2) Solid speakers (They shoud have a heavy weight relating to their size. I.e. when you knock the speaker with your finger it shoud not respond with hollow sound. Best is when it sounds like a wet log :) ).

I would not believe that active speakers can cover both points. Just physics. Probably there are some other technology in the active speakers. I would then apologize.

I'm saying this because I have auditioned about 30 pairs of speakers in the price range from $200 to $2000. And finally I stopped at B&W CM1.

I am not at all hater of active solution. Though I can not trust it because of the above explanation. If you were a lover of smooth jazz or soul, probably active would be perfect to deliver all the shades. But for rock and metal you will want punch. Won't you?

I will add that my setup is in a 10m2 room which is close to yours. And I do not feel that my amp is powerful enough to drive my CMs on high volumes when I listen to AC/DC or Ozzy. Diana Krall on medium volumes is perfect :). That's why I am thinking seriously now to replace the amp for a Heavier :) one.

I suggest that if we advise some speakers, we shall not forget about OP's music preferences. Active, passive or whatever.

Hope there's no offence.

Cheers

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
rayteyj said:
BigH said:

Actually I was thinking of doing that to my TV/computer setup so that I could just store all my tunes and movies in one place. But would a soundcard actually affect the quality of sound? I'm not too sure how a soundcard works with the speaker.

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

The soundcard contains a dac, yes some soundcards are pretty cheap and poor but get a decent one and their IMO are better value than buying a dac.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
Some thoughts.

The following idea can be argued and can be supported. Depending on peoples belief.

Key words for me in your OP are "rock, metal songs". My opinion is that you need minimum two things for this if you love to listen to such music quite loud:

1) Powerful amp (The bigger transformer and more massive heatsink the better. This is why expensive amps are mostly very heavy.

2) Solid speakers (They shoud have a heavy weight relating to their size. I.e. when you knock the speaker with your finger it shoud not respond with hollow sound. Best is when it sounds like a wet log :) ).

I would not believe that active speakers can cover both points. Just physics. Probably there are some other technology in the active speakers. I would then apologize.

I'm saying this because I have auditioned about 30 pairs of speakers in the price range from $200 to $2000. And finally I stopped at B&W CM1.

I am not at all hater of active solution. Though I can not trust it because of the above explanation. If you were a lover of smooth jazz or soul, probably active would be perfect to deliver all the shades. But for rock and metal you will want punch. Won't you?

I will add that my setup is in a 10m2 room which is close to yours. And I do not feel that my amp is powerful enough to drive my CMs on high volumes when I listen to AC/DC or Ozzy. Diana Krall on medium volumes is perfect :). That's why I am thinking seriously now to replace the amp for a Heavier :) one.

I suggest that if we advise some speakers, we shall not forget about OP's music preferences. Active, passive or whatever.

Hope there's no offence.

Cheers

Well some active speakers have quite powerful amps like 250W per speaker. Actives are often used in studios so canbe played at high volume plus they are more effiecint as the signal does not have to go through a passive crossover. Maybe you should have a look at PMC (who make both passive and active) video on the advantages of actives. So you picked CM1s out of speakers upto $2,000, well I ahve heard CM1s they were OK but certainly not in my top speakers under £1,000.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Chaloff said:
Some thoughts.

Hope there's no offence.

Cheers

Well some active speakers have quite powerful amps like 250W per speaker. Actives are often used in studios so canbe played at high volume plus they are more effiecint as the signal does not have to go through a passive crossover. Maybe you should have a look at PMC (who make both passive and active) video on the advantages of actives. So you picked CM1s out of speakers upto $2,000, well I ahve heard CM1s they were OK but certainly not in my top speakers under £1,000.

I was a bit incorrect about $2K. Better say $1,7. Yet in Russia the speakers are about 15% more expensive than in Europe. So actually I should have said $1500.

These were models of Neat, Paradigm, ASW, MA Gold, ATC, Dyns, Focal etc. Mostly around $1200 - 1500. You are sure to know these models.

What would be your choice within that range for heavy music?

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
:)
BigH said:

I found the cheapest PMC's active pair at $4500 here in Russia - PMC DB1S-A. I am affraid the OP would be a bit embarrassed by the price :)

I would trust that at these prices it is a great design inside. Are there any active speakers within the OP's price range which are better or equal to a set up integrated amp + speakers?

Can you please by the way give a link to that video? Interesting anyway.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
BigH said:

I found the cheapest PMC's active pair at $4500 here in Russia - PMC DB1S-A. I am affraid the OP would be a bit embarrassed by the price :)

I would trust that at these prices it is a great design inside. Are there any active speakers within the OP's price range which are better or equal to a set up integrated amp + speakers?

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4UMh1AOHw

I think actives are generally better value than passives so I'm sure there are some in his price range. Really it is down to the person to hear different systems and decide what is best for them. As you found CM1s were the best for you but they were not the best for me, from passives the KEF LS50s were better. I found the CM1s were rather insensitive and needed some driving also not very balanced for my taste.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
I was a bit incorrect about $2K. Better say $1,7. Yet in Russia the speakers are about 15% more expensive than in Europe. So actually I should have said $1500.

These were models of Neat, Paradigm, ASW, MA Gold, ATC, Dyns, Focal etc. Mostly around $1200 - 1500. You are sure to know these models.

What would be your choice within that range for heavy music?

What do you mean by heavy music? Is that high volume or bass heavy? To be honest I have not heard most of those speakers you list apart from Dyns Excite X12s and Focal 701s? Neat I have heard are not good for loud music. I would look at KEFs R100s, LS50s and R300s for a start.

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Chaloff said:
Some thoughts.

Hope there's no offence.

Cheers

I just saw the B&W CM1. Well I'm pretty sure they are quite good but the price is pretty much out of my range if I were to include a good amp. It would just be too costly. haha..ok I have 2 questions

1) Assuming IF I were to get this speaker what amp would I pair with?

2) Any other alternatives? =p

Thanks man

Best Regards

Raymond

rayteyj

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Chaloff said:
BigH said:

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4UMh1AOHw

I think actives are generally better value than passives so I'm sure there are some in his price range. Really it is down to the person to hear different systems and decide what is best for them. As you found CM1s were the best for you but they were not the best for me, from passives the KEF LS50s were better. I found the CM1s were rather insensitive and needed some driving also not very balanced for my taste.

So what speakers would you recommend? the KEF LS50?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Raymond

TRENDING THREADS