Help Building a Basic System

GBS

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm a student and from exploring the all-in-one systems as a teenager, I've always been interested in building my own hi fi stereo with enough money.
My budget is tight. At the moment I'm looking at the basics. Though I probably shouldn't be spending it, the absolute maximum is £350 for an amp and £250 for speakers.
It's a setup for a small room with bookshelf speakers. I listen to a lot of electronic music so there should be some punch to it. At the same time I've always been a fan of acoustic. On one end there's the likes of Thom Yorke, Animal Collective and deadmau5. On the other there's the softer Bon Iver, Damien Rice and Regina Spektor.
Some amps I've been looking at are:
RA-04 which I could probably get for a good price second handRotel RA-10Marantz PM 6004
Some speakers I've been looking at are:
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1Wharfedale Diamond 121Dali Zensor 1Mission MX1Monitor Audio Bronze BX2Ill be checking out some equipment at a dealer but has anyone got any advice for me at this early stage?

Thanks.
x

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Obviously you need a source!

Do you own CDs or Records?

Do you have a PC/Laptop?

All the amps & speakers you mention are adequate - get your amp - I would say the Rotel will be more punchy than Marantz so more suited for you muisc - speakers? The Monitor Audio and Mission will do a fine job but audition of you can and take your amp along unless dealer has your amp on demo.

Dont forget some quality OFC speaker cable - The Van Damme will fine!

BTW if you can find a Rotel RA971 MK2 used then its a great amp - £300 well over a decade ago, seen them on ebay gor for less than a £100

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Don't discount some of the 'All-in-one' systems available. With the uptake of digital most have you covered for a variety of sources.

A Marantz M-CR603 is a excellent system, and you could then put more money towards the speakers.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
Don't discount some of the 'All-in-one' systems available. With the uptake of digital most have you covered for a variety of sources.

A Marantz M-CR603 is a excellent system, and you could then put more money towards the speakers.

+1

GBS

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Obviously you need a source!Do you own CDs or Records?Do you have a PC/Laptop?
All three. I'll start off mainly listening to lossless audio through my PC and iPod but I'm starting a vinyl collection and already have lots of CDs so I'll be adding a player to it eventually. Thanks for your advice on the equipment and speaker cable. I'll have a look at that Rotel.
plastic penguin said:
If you look at Rotel amplification the B&W speakers are ideal. Both made at the same factory.
Cheers! I'll bear that in mind.
Fuzzy Bear said:
Thanks for the input. I have considered it. x

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Best to concentrate on one source for now imo.

You can consider cd and lossless files as one for now. Streamers/dacs match the quality of a cd player ( plenty of threads to look at, won't go into it here ) so for now a dedicated CD player is probably not needed. Also sounds like your vinyl collection is small, so concentrate on best sound quality you can from your lossless files.

With a dealer ask for demos with and without DAC/Streamers to decide if the quality difference is worthwhile.

Then you'll know what's important and may want to take Steve's advice and split the 350 between D/S and second hand amp. If you can get sound you love for even less than you planned, that's great!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts