Help and advice needed..

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Im looking for some advice, maybe somone can help?

I currently have come (back) into posession of (my old) Sony STR-DB930 amp and some mid range Tanoy Speakers. This has reignited my intrest in HiFi gear and Im looking to expand on what I currently have, but Iv also been out of the loop for a few years and need to do some catchup.

What I would like to do is eventiualy replace the Sony amp (which is a bit ott for my needs) with a simple 2 channel amp.....but heres the thing, I would like to have it power speakers in both the living room and the kitchen, but as well as playing music in both rooms at the same time I would also like to able to turn off the sound in the kitchen, whilst also playing in the livingroom and visa versa. If that does not make sence......

1: power both sets of speakers at the same time

2: only play the speakers in the living room and not the kitchen

3: only play the speakers in the kitchen and not the living room

Im pretty sure my sony amp can so this, but my sony amp also has a built in tuner. I would be very happy if I could find an amp that did all the above but also had a built in DAB radio.

Im not to worried about makes as log as its good kit, but saying that....Iv always wished I owned some Nad gear, but I think it might be out of my price range.

I think thats about it, if anyone has any ideas/thoughts Id love to hear them!

cheers!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually, now that I think about it, those older NAD's might not have A and B speaker options. Do they?

I know all the new models (including my C355) do support 2 sets of speakers...

A

Anonymous

I've got the Rotel RA04 amp which was £250 2 years ago so maybe cheaper now. This has two speaker outputs and can do exactly what your wanting (i.e speaker A / speaker B/ or A+B. ÿ Great bit of kit for price,

Hope this helps

Danÿ

A

Anonymous

dan3872:

I've got the Rotel RA04 amp which was £250 2 years ago so maybe cheaper now. This has two speaker outputs and can do exactly what your wanting (i.e speaker A / speaker B/ or A+B. Great bit of kit for price

The CA 840A allows you to do just that as well (as I'm sure can a few others too). A bit more expensive at £399 but a real bargain at that price (was £700 or 800 notes previously). It's also got a nice remote and a lovely blue light. ;-)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thing is the STR-930 amp he has now can do that, I know, I've got one and I use the A/B/A+B switch all the time!

Grunted a proper two channel amp will probably sound better, but you'd have to wonder how good the kitchen setup is going to sound anyway.

I've got my B channels going to my external speakers. I watched all of Bill Bailey's guide to the orchestra without realising I'd left the switch in the B position (doesn't affect the centre and surround channels), thought it sounded a bit rubbish but I don't know what next door's dogs made of it, they're the only ones that got the benefit of the front channels!

TRENDING THREADS